600 year old White Oak dies and is removed:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an interesting story about the history of the tree. :yes:

Those graves would have been dug, what?, about 200 years ago? I'm guessing there was extensive root damage done then and it took this long for the poor tree to succumb.
The bodies and wood caskets would have rotted and made for good plant food, but they would have had to chop through a lot of roots for all those graves.
Idiots.:cry:

I know. I was thinking that about the graves too.
Probably most were way back when the tree was about 350 years old and all the caskets and bones are long gone now too I bet.
It lived a long life though considering most White Oaks live around 350 years at most.
But I read that they have lots of the offspring from the acorns of it planted around.

I know. I was thinking that about the graves too.
Probably most were way back when the tree was about 350 years old and all the caskets and bones are long gone now too I bet.
It lived a long life though considering most White Oaks live around 350 years at most.
But I read that they have lots of the offspring from the acorns of it planted around.
I read that part, too, and thought that was sweet. They said they planted a "son" of the original on the property. Cool.

Just because a tree is very large, does not mean it's very old. I've personally seen trees that were planted just 50 years ago that look like they are hundreds of years old. I personally helped my dad plant a pecan tree when I was a kid, I took it down for safety reasons and the tree rings said it was over 100 years old. But in reality it was only 50 years old. So I suspect some of these so called old trees are not really that old.

Latest posts

Back