60cc Vs 70cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60cc or 70cc

Votes: 6 16.7%

Votes: 30 83.3%

• Total voters

Travis_32

Ms461R Ms261c-m
Reaction score
In 14yr old and I’m looking to get a bigger I have a ms261 with a 18inch bar. I’m looking at either a stihl 362 rcm with a 25inch bar and a semi skip chain or if I should just go with ms461. My experience level is better then most I have been using a saw for a year now every weekend for around 6 hours a day some week days when I can. But we cut a lot of hardwood oak ash etc where going to start cutting bigger stuff around 20 to 40 when I get a bigger saw so idk if I should get a 70 or 60cc

You’re lucky to have such a great saw at 14! You have something that you can measure all your future saws by.

Take good care of it and it will last you a good many years.

I agree with the previous post. Get the 461. Saws start to get quite expensive at 70cc. Do you need a new one? Or would you be good with a good used one?

Do you even need 70cc? That saw you have now can do a lot of work. 70cc is a huge step in power (and weight).

There’s many good old 70cc saws to be had for far less than new. If it’s a recent-ish Husky or Stihl, parts should be available for a good long while.

I reread your post. For the size wood you’re talking about, definitely at least 70cc.

Trees and saws will kill or severely maim you in a millisecond. Be careful out there! No shortcuts. Don’t work alone. Wear your gear.

Welcome to AS Travis. As long as you have your chaps, boots, gloves, shield, and ear protection covered I would go for the 461. It would be a great match for your 261. Be safe!

And while you are at it join a volunteer trail club and get some chainsaw training BEFORE you develop unsafe bad habits!

I agre with the 70cc saw. Since you have the 50cc skip the 60cc. I would reccommennt to wait a little till the new 462 will be availiable. You will get a 700cc saw full of power, fast acceleration and the weight of a smaller saw.

I'm with the others on 70cc, especially if the ms362 is your 60cc choice. Have run a bunch of them when I was moonlighting with my friends tree service and I always went for the 441 or 461 as the 362s just seem like turds to me after years of running my personal makita(dolmar) saws.

In 14yr old and I’m looking to get a bigger I have a ms261 with a 18inch bar. I’m looking at either a stihl 362 rcm with a 25inch bar and a semi skip chain or if I should just go with ms461. My experience level is better then most I have been using a saw for a year now every weekend for around 6 hours a day some week days when I can. But we cut a lot of hardwood oak ash etc where going to start cutting bigger stuff around 20 to 40 when I get a bigger saw so idk if I should get a 70 or 60cc
Only 14 ? A modern 70cc Saw is a powerful machine my friend ... if modded you are holding over 7.0hp in your hands ! Make sure you are properly trained and use ppe ...

I would go for something in the 70cc range. I started with a Stihl MS261 with an 18" bar also. When I was in the market for a new saw not too long ago, I went with a 70cc and couldnt be more happy with the jump in power for larger trees.

I got a nice 362c that’s been modded ... with 18” bar keep up with a stock 70cc Saw all day if not best it ... pm me if interested

I guarantee you the kid ain't got the two grand you'll want for the POS Frank. And if he does you should feel ashamed for taking advantage.
Dude wtf ? Do use follow me around just to make snide remarks? And no I don’t want 2000 and it’s not a pos jackass ! Go play in your own sandbox ya mamaluke !

Back