661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for some opinions on a test I'm going to do, hopefully this saturday.

Test - mix up 32:1 40:1 and 50:1 with stihl utlra and 92 oct eth free. Start off with 50:1 and do a couple of timed test cuts then take the jug temp with the thermo gun. Then empty the saw and refill and run 40:1 for a bit to get the mtronic doing it's thing with 40:1, then do couple of timed test cuts and take jug temp and repeat same process with 32:1.

Saw - 661R.
Bar - 36" tsumura
Chain - that is the question - I can run either 3/8 or .404. new Stihl RS.

3/8 - pretty much everyone uses that but..
404 - seems to me 404 would require more power and it seems to me that if there was THAT much difference the 404 would make the saw and mix show it better.

So what do you guys think?

Unless the motor is on a dynamometer, this "test" will mean nothing as it will be subjective.

H1R, 800, R50, and K2
they all run super clean with VP, my borescope shows it on many different motors.

I think the pump gas is the wild card .......... meaning different guys will all have different looking combustion chambers due to the variables in their pump gas. All can run the same oil at the same ratio, yet be able to show pics of drastically different piston tops

I still have some of the race oils but i keep buying more Lucas. $30 a gallon and nice shiney blue coated internals.....i'm sold.
Forgot that one ......... I think VP 50:1 uses Lucas as its blue and definitely does not smell like Amsoil 2 cycle
I haven't really given Lucas a try, been running all of the other stuff, but I do have a gallon of it so I will get to it eventually.

I always ran Beltay H1R 32:1 in my 250 2-smokers. I run my saws on 93 octane mixed at 40:1 with Husqvarna semi-synthetic and never even think about. My saws always run good.

Very simple. That's usually the octane which has the fewest additives.
I gotta call a minor case of shenanigans on this theory :)
About a mile from me is the plant where fuel (all grades are one fuel) comes in and all the trucks from all the stations pick up their fuel that comes from the same place and has the additives and octane created by Midwest Petroleum as they load the trucks. It is all the same before the separation and additives so it seems like they can use whatever the engineers call for and bean counters approve as far as octane.

Unless a small engine dino magically appears in this test, l cannot see any conclusive facts coming of it. More oil should make more power but there will be a point where the trend reverses. Cookie cut times are a funny measure of brake horsepower but as long as your havin fun, its all good.

It's funny all the firewood guys and saw builders worry so much about fuel and oil. In the tree business nobody pays attention to what kind of oil they are using or where the fuel came from. They (not me I'm a bit more anal about my saws) just mix whatever they got at 50:1 and run those saws everyday year after year and never have problems. It seems the guys who screw around with their saws too much are the ones who have issues. I don't do too much I just make sure to use fresh gas and always run Husqvarna oil at 40:1 and keep my filters clean and saws in tune.

And plugs can't forget fresh spark plugs every season.

The tree I'm cutting on... cuts should take a while. And the 404 full comp 36" I think would show more of a difference if more power is gained or lost. If there is a temp difference that should be telling. If there is a big enough difference in time that will be telling.

Update:

Trx250r180 is sending me some belray h1r so that will be in the test, but will push this back a couple of days to next Tues or Wed.

Got the chains -

v7cdas.jpg

Do you guys want me to use the stock muffler? Or this extra one I bought and opened up?

33w45xi.jpg

Back