661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 576 AT I ported was pig rich with short bars. Anything under a 28" I had to run an 8 pin or really push on it to get it to quit 4 stroking in the wood.
Not sure about the 576, but my 562 runs spot on all the time. And that's using from 16" to 24" bars which is on the extreme side of what a 60cc saw can do in our wood.
Only thing I know about the 576 is that it never gained ecceptance by loggers around here.

The 576 AT I ported was pig rich with short bars. Anything under a 28" I had to run an 8 pin or really push on it to get it to quit 4 stroking in the wood.
Mike, think I should run an 8-pin or 7-pin on a ported 372? I'll be using a 20-24" bar on hardwoods mostly.

I meant how aggressive and low of rakers. I like Oregon better than stihl now. The stihl QC IS hit and miss it seems. Going to be using a lot of stihl 404 since I got a bunch from redbull.
Nothing aggressive for now. Not really sure of the best angles for round filing. I've been practicing square filing on the 660 chains.

Better pics. Your trapping alot of mixture in the squish area it would appear. A properly machined head seeks to eliminate this, but with a saw your options are limited.
The 461 in first set of images with the quad ports seems more carboned over in the squish area ,it has a machined head as well ,wonder if the extra finger transfers have anything to do with the wash on the squish band of the hybrid ?This saw revs higher than my others do .My other hybrid looks closer to what your 260 piston looks like .but a little less wash by the transfers

The 461 in first set of images with the quad ports seems more carboned over in the squish area ,it has a machined head as well ,wonder if the extra finger transfers have anything to do with the wash on the squish band of the hybrid ?This saw revs higher than my others do .My other hybrid looks closer to what your 260 piston looks like .but a little less wash by the transfers
Even though your head is machined the squish angle is more or less flat, correct?

What should a properly machined squish band look like ?

Isn't it supposed to be tapered toward the center of the chamber?

That would depend on what your goals are, but the band should actually be at an angle in relation to the piston, not parallel as in most saws. The idea being to create turbulence to aid combustion and to squeeze mixture toward the center of the combustion chamber.

Here is my other hybrid with the uncut squish ,it is a round band ,narrower than the meteor . Can see some transfer wash on this saw .
BK560034.JPG BK560035.JPG BK560036.JPG BK560037.JPG BK560038.JPG BK560039.JPG

If properly tuned, should a saw stop 4-stroking as soon as its under load or say 1/4 into the wood? I set mine to stop 4-stroking as soon as it enters the wood....under load.

If properly tuned, should a saw stop 4-stroking as soon as its under load or say 1/4 into the wood? I set mine to stop 4-stroking as soon as it enters the wood....under load.

what about tuning for time?

I spent a lot of time messing with the MM084 and TM880. In the end I settled at 12,500 on the 36" bar. I got a lot of comments that they sounded too rich. But that is where they cut the best. I tried 12k, 12.2k, 12.5k, 12.7k, 13k. 12.5k was the best times.

Then what about the 361 oil test? For a stock saw I tuned each ratio to the called for idle (think it was like 2800) and then top end for the called for 14,000 wot. I'm sure the best ratio would be different for a different oil. Probably closer to 32 or 40:1.

But look at the times and temps. The fastest times are right around where the coolest temps are. Same with the 660 test (see attached).

Seems to me it would be a lot easier to just figure the fastest cuts for each bar and note the RPM used. Then just tune to that RPM.

Obviously double check make sure by ear your not to lean...seems very unlikely.

Thoughts on this approach?

Attachments

• 361 oil.jpg
    361 oil.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 660 oil.jpg
    660 oil.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 18
what about tuning for time?

I spent a lot of time messing with the MM084 and TM880. In the end I settled at 12,500 on the 36" bar. I got a lot of comments that they sounded too rich. But that is where they cut the best. I tried 12k, 12.2k, 12.5k, 12.7k, 13k. 12.5k was the best times.

Then what about the 361 oil test? For a stock saw I tuned each ratio to the called for idle (think it was like 2800) and then top end for the called for 14,000 wot. I'm sure the best ratio would be different for a different oil. Probably closer to 32 or 40:1.

But look at the times and temps. The fastest times are right around where the coolest temps are. Same with the 660 test (see attached).

Seems to me it would be a lot easier to just figure the fastest cuts for each bar and note the RPM used. Then just tune to that RPM.

Obviously double check make sure by ear your not to lean...seems very unlikely.

Thoughts on this approach?
My saws seem to pull better a tad rich with the 32 inch bars ,kind of helps em chug along some over some rpm loss .

Back