661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after about 1.5 gallons of gas mixed with Mobil 1 2t racing (red colored) 32:1

this muffler has been used on other 661s I have so the inside really can't show. But the cover was pretty clean.

E988afU.jpg

RBRdw46.jpg

spark plug

FuwCSZb.jpg

2TlhwlP.jpg

Jug - the brown is not build up, it's oil that can be wiped away. The jug is very very clean.

vQMW62t.jpg

uStbO2R.jpg

nABpxto.jpg

Tree Monkey photo bombing my picture!

n26Umqh.jpg

Piston and crank - plenty of oil on the skirts. Good coating on the crank etc. Clean. Oil puddling inside those trox heads.

in9zZvT.jpg

W8x0kzv.jpg

ydfK1wM.jpg

this muffler has been used on other 661s I have so the inside really can't show. But the cover was pretty clean.

E988afU.jpg

RBRdw46.jpg

spark plug

FuwCSZb.jpg

2TlhwlP.jpg

Jug - the brown is not build up, it's oil that can be wiped away. The jug is very very clean.

vQMW62t.jpg

uStbO2R.jpg

nABpxto.jpg

n26Umqh.jpg

Piston and crank - plenty of oil on the skirts. Good coating on the crank etc. Clean. Oil puddling inside those trox heads.

in9zZvT.jpg

W8x0kzv.jpg

ydfK1wM.jpg
Sadly Mobil racing 2T/MX2T was discontinued.

E988afU.jpg

RBRdw46.jpg

spark plug

FuwCSZb.jpg

2TlhwlP.jpg

vQMW62t.jpg

uStbO2R.jpg

nABpxto.jpg

n26Umqh.jpg

in9zZvT.jpg

W8x0kzv.jpg

ydfK1wM.jpg

Theres nothing wrong with that Mobil1 T2 oil i used it for about 8 years but it got to hard to get and expensive over here.
Love the smell as well

I think they were recommending 50-1 long before epa ever became a serious chainsaw issue, my Husqvarna 61 is about 35 years old and 50-1 is all I've ever used in any of my saws.
I guess I don't know when epa started worrying about emissions on small engines, obviously they were into cars by the mid 70's. I know my 1991 model 41 was recommended to use 50:1

Saws seem very happy at the 40-42:1 ratio although low revving HO saws could probably last indefinitely on somewhat less.

Do you ever wonder why Stihl, Husqvarna,Echo and a bunch of other chainsaw manufacturers all recommend 50-1 ?

Oh that's easy...
..all these chainsaw fatcat CEOs are sitting around a tradeshow convention in the VIP lounge..they get to talking. One of them goes, "Hey, we need to sell mo' saws"..they all nod their heads...so one of them gets this idea, "hey, we'll start recommending 50 to 1, the saws wear out faster, all the car companies are doing it, planned obsolescence"! they all like that idea..high fives and toasts all around....

..later on joe customer gets a new brand x..burns it up after a few months, takes it in for "warranty", gets the old "wrong mix, customer's fault, no free fix, here's an estimate, only twice what you paid for it new"! customer goes "I'll never buy a brand x again"! Storms outta the stealership, goes over to brand Y...lather, rinse repeat....if they all do it, where ya gonna go buy a saw, or trimmer, or whatever? HAHAHAHA

EPA started on the cars in 68 with the stupid air injector pumps, and got much worse in 71/72 with unleaded, catalytic converters, etc. They got so much worse mileage no one must have factored in the pollution generated to refine the addl gas, and the first Muscle Care era was over!

It took over 20 years for affordable cars to start breaking the 14 second qtr mile again. (1969 428 Mustang tested 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 mi in 14 seconds).
I believe the test was conducted by Joe Gutts in Popular Mechanics, not that I would remember anything about things that far back!

EPA started on the cars in 68 with the stupid air injector pumps, and got much worse in 71/72 with unleaded, catalytic converters, etc. They got so much worse mileage no one must have factored in the pollution generated to refine the addl gas, and the first Muscle Care era was over!

It took over 20 years for affordable cars to start breaking the 14 second qtr mile again. (1969 428 Mustang tested 0-60 in 6 seconds and 1/4 mi in 14 seconds).
I believe the test was conducted by Joe Gutts in Popular Mechanics, not that I would remember anything about things that far back!

The good old days:
Air pump - cut the tubes and plug them or mash shut, remove belt or entire pump
cat converter - replace with "test tube" or chisel out the ceramic honey comb
gas inlet - enlarge the hole so the regular gas nozzle could again be inserted

Still had a gas hungry dog.

I'm just talking about a family type vehicle.

But hey, the old muscle cars could outrun a new cop car more easily. LOL

I guess I don't know when epa started worrying about emissions on small engines, obviously they were into cars by the mid 70's. I know my 1991 model 41 was recommended to use 50:1

Saws seem very happy at the 40-42:1 ratio although low revving HO saws could probably last indefinitely on somewhat less.
Over 10 years ago for handheld 2-cycle engines.

50:1 was brought about by the desire to lower visable smoke emmissions and fouled plugs with the crappy oil the OEM'S peddled back in the day. Started to bite them towards the end with the advent of plugged up mufflers and strato saws. As a result OEM oils have gotten much better across the board.
Of note is the fact that the oil ratio for mx bikes really hasn't changed in decades. Mostly 32:1.

Back