670 vs 272

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger1286

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the differences between the jonsered 670 and the husqvarna 272? Which one is better built and best cuttin saw? Is there a better husqvarna comparison?

I am thinkin it is between the 272 and 266, but i heard it won alot of competitions in its day and just wanted to know just how good it is?

what is the differences between the jonsered 670 and the husqvarna 272? Which one is better built and best cuttin saw? Is there a better husqvarna comparison?

booger, check with 1cut about this. Gary is top drawer on huskey and stihl,ask him about the 372,thanks johnfawn2000

The closest thing to the 670 would be the 268XP or perhaps the 266XP which is basically the same thing. The 272XP is 52 MM instead of 50MM and a bit stronger but the strength is not noted untill you get to the upper reaches of bar length. In 18' wood with 20' bars on both they will appear pretty much dead even due to about the same WOT rpm. But as with all motors when taxed with a longer bar "there is no replacement of displacement"....

No direct, absolute comparison bewteen 670 and 266/268, although they are very similar internally. There were a number of running changes to all these saws, including specs and where cyl/pistons came from, but most of the 670s (all I have seen) used an external pulse line to drive the carb diaghragms and the Huskies were internal. 670 and 266/268xp were closed-ported and rated about the same...but who truly trusts ratings?

I have an early 625/630/670 IPL and an old Tilton price list that calls out an internally-ducted pulse on some 670's...if replacing the jug on one of these, the mechanic must also order a kit. I suppose the kit turned the saw back into a Jonsered; maybe what happened was someone couldn't get the order of Jonsered cylinders in on time so they subbed some Husky parts. Kit retail was pretty high...about $60. I would have just put another Husky jug on, myself.

I have a 625 with a 272 jug and carb. Way more snort than the 625 ever had, but its pretty hard to tell the diff between it and my 670. I agree with Cantdog's assessment: it only really counts at the upper limits of the saw's capacity. Most of us have more saw than we need most of the time, so we'll never see any benefit. IMO, the very best saw of that series was the 625, or its Husqvarna cousin the 61. These saws are like Ford's 300 six pickup engine...not flashy, won't tear anything up, but they get the work done, don't break, and run forever.

Yep I agree...all good saws...but if I had to choose just one (which I don't LOL) I would choose the closed port 630 over the 625/61. Using your description of the 625/61 being like the 300 six...almost diesel like in it's abilities I would have to equate the 630 to the 289 four speed mustang....again not a killer but a very pleasant blend of weight and power.

"The 272XP is 52 MM instead of 50MM and a bit stronger but the strength is not noted untill you get to the upper reaches of bar length. In 18' wood with 20' bars on both they will appear pretty much dead even due to about the same WOT rpm. But as with all motors when taxed with a longer bar "there is no replacement of displacement"...."

+1

I run a 20" bar on my 268XP. A good friend has a 272XP with a 24" bar. The saws are basically dead even for performance in smaller material. The fastest saw is usually the one with the sharpest chain on it, they both scream in the cut. My 268XP four strokes nicely at 13,700rpm's, and it's stone stock.

It's also interesting that my 262XP and 268XP have close power ratings, but the 268XP has more "umph" in larger logs. Not sure how saws are "rated" for power production, but there 268XP for sure has more "grunt" than the 262XP when you really push it hard ......Cliff

Last edited:
I thought the early Jred 670s were the red version of the Husky 266se and the early Jred 630 was the red version of the Husky 162. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I thought the early Jred 670s were the red version of the Husky 266se and the early Jred 630 was the red version of the Husky 162. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think prehaps you are correct of the early 670 to 266 and the later Super II and Champ 670 would be more like the 268XP...similar to the early ones but a bit better with added refinements.

As far as the 162...I'm not sure...I haven't had one come my way yet...I thought those were more in kind with the 61/625 but I may be wrong on that. The 630 is kind of in a class by itself....though it still has the 48MM bore of the 61/625 it boasts a windowed piston and closed port cyl with the internal impulse of the Huskys, unlike it's 625 and 670 brothers which feature the external impulse. The one in my sig I built from very trashed out 630 Super II...it was kind of a very low budgit experiment which turned out very well...It is a very fast and strong 61cc saw...I lovingly call it my "Ugly Duckling Saw"......It is most comfortable and economical to run when tuned to 14,400 with a strong and definate 4 stroke. It was my goto saw until I built my 61/268XP......which now does most of the serious cutting....same weight with a lot more pull and strangely enough, though it is ported to a higher level than the 630 it really likes to dial in at around 13,800..but as I said "There's No Replacement for Displacement".

I think prehaps you are correct of the early 670 to 266 and the later Super II and Champ 670 would be more like the 268XP...similar to the early ones but a bit better with added refinements.

As far as the 162...I'm not sure...I haven't had one come my way yet...I thought those were more in kind with the 61/625 but I may be wrong on that. The 630 is kind of in a class by itself....though it still has the 48MM bore of the 61/625 it boasts a windowed piston and closed port cyl with the internal impulse of the Huskys, unlike it's 625 and 670 brothers which feature the external impulse. The one in my sig I built from very trashed out 630 Super II...it was kind of a very low budgit experiment which turned out very well...It is a very fast and strong 61cc saw...I lovingly call it my "Ugly Duckling Saw"......It is most comfortable and economical to run when tuned to 14,400 with a strong and definate 4 stroke. It was my goto saw until I built my 61/268XP......which now does most of the serious cutting....same weight with a lot more pull and strangely enough, though it is ported to a higher level than the 630 it really likes to dial in at around 13,800..but as I said "There's No Replacement for Displacement".

Why would my 670Champ out cut all 5 of our 266XP`s? The 266`s represent most of the years that they were made from early to the last year they were produced.

Why would my 670Champ out cut all 5 of our 266XP`s? The 266`s represent most of the years that they were made from early to the last year they were produced.

Cuzz it is RED.......and probably cuzz you ported it......and it more than likely has the 250A or similar carb depending on if it has a rec carb or not, as opposed the the 163etc that was used on a lot of the 266s and probly cuzz the port timing is a bit more aggressive on the one peice Ducati ign fired Champ.....I stihl think just cuzz it's RED mostly LOL!!!!

Cuzz it is RED.......and probably cuzz you ported it......and it more than likely has the 250A or similar carb depending on if it has a rec carb or not, as opposed the the 163etc that was used on a lot of the 266s and probly cuzz the port timing is a bit more aggressive on the one peice Ducati ign fired Champ.....I stihl think just cuzz it's RED mostly LOL!!!!

There surely are some differences, and the 670 always was rated at higher power than the 266 that is was based on - so there really is no nothing odd with the 670 Champ/Super II beating 5 266s. :big_smile:

When the 266 was taking over the mid-saw market Jons needed something a little stronger than the 630, so they came out with the 50mm P/C, single ring piston, and it was the 670.

The very early 670s had the pulse internal to the rubber boot. The rubber would collapse, and then no pulse... lean condition. After that fumble they went to the external pulse line and numerous changes with the air horn support/rear foot mount. I lost track after that.

Carb was basically the same Tillotson HS series but with the external pulse fitting.

This has been a good thread for me. I recently picked up a 670S and a 670Champ. Both are runners, but could use the usual carb kit, fuel line, filter , ect. I also have a 266 as does my Son. Both pretty good saws.

is there more than one different bore sizes for the 670? Mine does not say champ or super.

That sounds about right...;)

Latest posts

Back