70+CC saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many replies, thanks everyone for your input.

I guess at the end of the day it will mean I have to lug around a big saw or use a lighter saw and no milling.

I don’t love the idea of using a power head all day as it can increase fatigue and the same as working on site - that’s when accidents can happen.

Is there a middle ground between say a 372 & a 395? (For my sanity, don’t say a 390!)

I’m not going to even ask about which saw is more robust or reliable (as it will be worked hard) because I know it will start a brand war **** fight!

... so which saw will be most robust?

The physical fitness depends on you personally.

I know stacked 300 lb dudes that are useless and 180 lb guys that could swing an 3120 all day.

If you can swing a 90cc saw, got for it..70cc is a little light for milling.

I had a feeling it was the case, I was hoping someone would chime in about a magical middle ground saw i’d never heard of made by Husq or Stihl hahaha

Here is a saw everyone wants:
1. Light weight as a 170 Stihl
2. As powerful as a ported 3120
3. never breaks down.
4. Costs less than any other saw
5, Will pull any sized bar and never needs sharpening
6. sips fuel, one small tank lasts all day
Now go invent it!
Don't forget starts on one pull, flippy caps, and quick chain adjust.

I guess at the end of the day it will mean I have to lug around a big saw or use a lighter saw and no milling.

I don’t love the idea of using a power head all day as it can increase fatigue and the same as working on site - that’s when accidents can happen.

Is there a middle ground between say a 372 & a 395? (For my sanity, don’t say a 390!)

I’m not going to even ask about which saw is more robust or reliable (as it will be worked hard) because I know it will start a brand war **** fight!

If you’re cool with milling smaller logs, the 372 will do both tasks.
You all have some big amazing trees to mill.

Of course there is the best saws husky ever made
The 2 series of them
266/268/272/281/288 my favorites

Of course there is the best saws husky ever made
The 2 series of them
266/268/272/281/288 my favorites
Yeah a good strong 288 could go a long way as an in between saw.
I had a KS one here for a while. Really strong runner and nimble for the cubes but ... no decomp and bad elbow= down the road.
Later ones do have a Decomp valve.
Robin Wood in our classified still has some new ones.

The physical fitness depends on you personally.

I know stacked 300 lb dudes that are useless and 180 lb guys that could swing an 3120 all day.

If you can swing a 90cc saw, got for it..70cc is a little light for milling.

I was 290# swinging a 2100 husky in my day. Never a problem. I had so called wannabe smaller sized partners who couldn’t keep up and quit on me the first few days cutting. I would laugh.

Yeah a good strong 288 could go a long way as an in between saw.
I had a KS one here for a while. Really strong runner and nimble for the cubes but ... no decomp and bad elbow= down the road.
Later ones do have a Decomp valve.
Robin Wood in our classified still has some new ones.

I hadn’t considered the 288xp.
I’ll have to give it some thought. Now I just need to look at shipping to AUS! Ha!

Depending on what diameter wood and how long of a bar length you need I would suggest a husky 288xp, 390xp, 395xp if your milling. The 288 is easy to use bucking/felling.
You might need two saws.
its looking that way. 288 sounds nice though & from research they seem pretty robust

Back