70+CC saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the center of Canada where 90% of saws are 50cc and under so i feel your pain..

With some patience and a bit of luck I've managed to snag several 70cc saws all for very reasonable prices.

Most people around here have no idea the production that can be achieved with a good 70cc saw meaning the big stuff here often sits unsold.

Hopefully you will luck out.

Thanks mate, that’s the goal!

I'd probably go a 394 or 395 if you are wanting to do milling with it as well as cut wood, your a chippy so it won't worry you too much cutting wood with it (I have a 394) and I don't find it too bad to use even with my many disabilities, I'm not cutting down trees day in day out it's only cutting up some wood to burn in the wood heater the same as you are thinking of doing so you will do that standing on ya head and it's upto milling duties too.

I woudn't bother with 70cc for a milling saw, go the 100cc and be done with it, it will do both jobs just fine and without working them so hard either.

I'd probably go a 394 or 395 if you are wanting to do milling with it as well as cut wood, your a chippy so it won't worry you too much cutting wood with it (I have a 394) and I don't find it too bad to use even with my many disabilities, I'm not cutting down trees day in day out it's only cutting up some wood to burn in the wood heater the same as you are thinking of doing so you will do that standing on ya head and it's upto milling duties too.

I woudn't bother with 70cc for a milling saw, go the 100cc and be done with it, it will do both jobs just fine and without working them so hard either.

Cheers Scott, well sounds like a 390/94/95 is the way I’m going to go.

There’s a 394 for sale here in Victoria owned by an old fella for chores around his house for $900, that seems reasonable. Looks to be quite clean from what I can see. Will have to try and tee up a test run.

Cheers Scott, well sounds like a 390/94/95 is the way I’m going to go.

There’s a 394 for sale here in Victoria owned by an old fella for chores around his house for $900, that seems reasonable. Looks to be quite clean from what I can see. Will have to try and tee up a test run.

That's what I paid for my 394:cheers: eventually no doubt you will buy something smaller for the firewood duties but for now I'm sure you will handle it in that particular duty (I run a stihl 029super as my main firewood cutting saw and also a little Oleomac 936 both get the job done no warries at all the big girl only comes out to play on the real big logs that we have to deal with around here other than that the smaller saws do the job just fine.

It's just about impossible to limit your self to one saw especially with what you are intending on doing so expect to buy a smaller one sooner or later:D

Good luck with it all mate.:cheers:

T
That's what I paid for my 394:cheers: eventually no doubt you will buy something smaller for the firewood duties but for now I'm sure you will handle it in that particular duty (I run a stihl 029super as my main firewood cutting saw and also a little Oleomac 936 both get the job done no warries at all the big girl only comes out to play on the real big logs that we have to deal with around here other than that the smaller saws do the job just fine.

It's just about impossible to limit your self to one saw especially with what you are intending on doing so expect to buy a smaller one sooner or later:D

Good luck with it all mate.:cheers:

Good to hear the price isn’t too off the mark then!

I’ve got a 40cc but I want it will kill it sinking it into large Blackwood and Gum every other weekend. Looks like I’ll give up my gym membership and start swinging the 394 instead! I kid, I’ve never had a membership, other than curling a few cans of northern after work.:cheers:

I hadn’t considered the 288xp.
I’ll have to give it some thought. Now I just need to look at shipping to AUS! Ha!

I personally wouldn't bother with importing a saw, new or used. I know of a few people who thought they were getting a bargain buying in the US and shipping out here, they soon found out they had no warranty at all and after a full rebuild it ended up costing them more.

Each to their own of course but for me it's a no go.

I personally wouldn't bother with importing a saw, new or used. I know of a few people who thought they were getting a bargain buying in the US and shipping out here, they soon found out they had no warranty at all and after a full rebuild it ended up costing them more.

Each to their own of course but for me it's a no go.
A 288 wouldn’t have warranty in any case.
What about a ported saw, if your going the ported path your warranty is void any too. Is there even anyone who does porting in Aus?

T

Good to hear the price isn’t too off the mark then!

I’ve got a 40cc but I want it will kill it sinking it into large Blackwood and Gum every other weekend. Looks like I’ll give up my gym membership and start swinging the 394 instead! I kid, I’ve never had a membership, other than curling a few cans of northern after work.:cheers:

What brand 40cc mate? My mate mainly uses a 40cc Husky 340 for cutting firewood, him and my other mate cut around 80-100 tn each year the other fella uses a 359 Husky, they cut gum, stringy and peppermint as a rule and some box here and there too, I cut the same types of wood and get out and help em when I'm up to it. Only time I ever take the 394 out is if we have trees 60cm or bigger to deal with, it's just easlier with a bigger bar so it gets that type of job but mostly its the little 029s with it's 16" bar and .325 pitch chain which is only the Hurricane brand which I can make a loop for around $13 so cheap enough and seems to be holding up quite well for a cheapy chain (apparently the steels German as is the hardening process but assembled in China.

I had 1 chain that fell to bits pretty much 1st or 2nd cut from memory but the rest have been spot on since so I bought a 25ft roll the other day - hope it hold up ok if not it will be going back as they have a 12mth warranty on their chains etc so all good (well see what happens if I have to make a claim LOL.

Anyway mate don't discount the small saws then can get the job done no worries if the wood isn't massive.

A 288 wouldn’t have warranty in any case.
What about a ported saw, if your going the ported path your warranty is void any too. Is there even anyone who does porting in Aus?

Yeah I know mate, I'm just pointing out the dangers of thinking cos its cheaper it's a better deal, It is until something goes tits up then it's far from it.

Yes mate plenty of people know who to tinker with chainsaws in Oz, it's not unique to the U S of A.:D

I know quite a few people who race saws and love mucking around with em and tuning em right up, something that's not needed really in a wood cutting saw but some do porting to make em run better to me I'd only recommend venturing down that path if you are happy to rebuild and be able to rebuild it yourself or it will cost you way more than it's really worth in the long run if the saw does decide to quit early/:chainsaw:

XNJYQHil.jpg

The 394 was sold from under me. Very disappointed.

Ah well keep an eye out for another one or an 066 or one of it's incarnations, they are good powerful saws too so don't discount them either.

So what sort of wood are you going to be slabbing? and how big diameter wise?

Ah well keep an eye out for another one or an 066 or one of it's incarnations, they are good powerful saws too so don't discount them either.

So what sort of wood are you going to be slabbing? and how big diameter wise?

Blackwood slab would be the first go-to, there’s a log here that’s been stored and packed that’s approx 550 in diameter - I’ve got that pegged to be slabbed and used as some decking - it will make a nice feature once cleaned up.

I’m not discounting anything (other than a small saw) at the moment - stihl or Husky doesn’t bother me! I have a few small saws of both brands.

What brand 40cc mate? My mate mainly uses a 40cc Husky 340 for cutting firewood, him and my other mate cut around 80-100 tn each year the other fella uses a 359 Husky, they cut gum, stringy and peppermint as a rule and some box here and there too, I cut the same types of wood and get out and help em when I'm up to it. Only time I ever take the 394 out is if we have trees 60cm or bigger to deal with, it's just easlier with a bigger bar so it gets that type of job but mostly its the little 029s with it's 16" bar and .325 pitch chain which is only the Hurricane brand which I can make a loop for around $13 so cheap enough and seems to be holding up quite well for a cheapy chain (apparently the steels German as is the hardening process but assembled in China.

I had 1 chain that fell to bits pretty much 1st or 2nd cut from memory but the rest have been spot on since so I bought a 25ft roll the other day - hope it hold up ok if not it will be going back as they have a 12mth warranty on their chains etc so all good (well see what happens if I have to make a claim LOL.

Anyway mate don't discount the small saws then can get the job done no worries if the wood isn't massive.

Not discounting the small saws in any way mate! I’ve got a lovely little 45cc that’s been muff modded and updated bar, sprocket and running a full chisel & it’s a real little screamer!

Looking for something that I can slab AND cut with has pointed me towards the 90CC guys, as I can have the best of both worlds .. and get an arm workout too :)

Not discounting the small saws in any way mate! I’ve got a lovely little 45cc that’s been muff modded and updated bar, sprocket and running a full chisel & it’s a real little screamer!

Looking for something that I can slab AND cut with has pointed me towards the 90CC guys, as I can have the best of both worlds .. and get an arm workout too :)

Ah no worries mate, just thought I'd point out the fact the little saws will get the job done fine too when it comes to most of the firewood cutting duties, people think you need massive powerhouse saws with 100ft bars etc and honestly most of the time the little saws and small bars will get most of the job done, it's only when you are in really big timber you need a bigger bar and that means a bigger power head to run it more efficently hence the recommendation for a bigger saw like the 394/394/66/660 etc, as it will cover your slabbing work and still be useable for cutting big timber for firewood and if you already have a 45cc saw I'd say you've covered all bases really so go buy that big saw and get crackin.:D

Blackwood slab would be the first go-to, there’s a log here that’s been stored and packed that’s approx 550 in diameter - I’ve got that pegged to be slabbed and used as some decking - it will make a nice feature once cleaned up.

I’m not discounting anything (other than a small saw) at the moment - stihl or Husky doesn’t bother me! I have a few small saws of both brands.

Both good brands mate, own both and love both. That Blackwood sounds nice mate, I look forward to seeing some pics of it from start to finish.:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures::D

Back