• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 70cc-80cc saw.. husky or stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of my price range... I think I want to stick with 70-80cc. I'm a Stihl man at heart... have a 261 w/18" bar and it'll cut anything I put it in and do it well but I just want something I can slap a 28"-32" bar on and cut the bigger trunks without having to piece it out. Like to stick with 400-600 range

Out of my price range... I think I want to stick with 70-80cc. I'm a Stihl man at heart... have a 261 w/18" bar and it'll cut anything I put it in and do it well but I just want something I can slap a 28"-32" bar on and cut the bigger trunks without having to piece it out. Like to stick with 400-600 range

If your looking to run a 28-32" bar I would be leaning closer to the 80cc's. I run 25" bars on my 044's and I'm happy with them that way. I don't know if I would be happy with a stock 70cc saw in hard wood running 28" bars, but I also have saws to cover the bigger bars. For the couple of other guys that I know in NC. They say 25" will cover everything they cut.

You selling that 044 Stihl livin? I would not use the saw with a 28"-32" bar often. Might stick a 25" on it but would want it to be capable of the occasional tree that calls for a 32". I guess the 460 and bigger would be ideal for this but it would only be on occasion that I would stick a 32" on it.

I have three Stihl ms 440's for sale. 400$ power head only.
I have completely disassembled them for thorough cleaning and inspection. Pm me for pics and I'll get a current compression reading in the morning.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
You selling that 044 Stihl livin? I would not use the saw with a 28"-32" bar often. Might stick a 25" on it but would want it to be capable of the occasional tree that calls for a 32". I guess the 460 and bigger would be ideal for this but it would only be on occasion that I would stick a 32" on it.

I searched a long time for this saw and it is clean. The only thing missing in the photo is the dual port muffler cover. I also added an HD2 filter and dual spikes with a roller catcher. I could be talked out of it for the right price

I've run 28" on an 044 and it does well enough with a sharp chain, even in hardwood. I can't speak to longer than that, but if you needed such lengths frequently I wouldn't advise it.

If my only "big saw" was a 044, I would still stick with the 25" max. I can cut up to a diameter of say 46"in two cuts and probably 30-32" in one cut. Now instead I just grab my 066,385,181 or 288 with the longer bars. I used to cut mine and my mom's fire wood with a stihl 031 with a 16" bar and then a husky 445 with a 18" bar. You learn how to get thru that big chunk of oak. Once I got my 044 with a 25", I thought it was the cats meow.

Its not cutting downed wood I'm worried about... I can cut big wood with my 261 from both sides. More the felling of big wood that I wanted the longer bar for on occasion. It is safer to fell a tree when the bar can get all the way through it, or at least that's how I feel. I've seen it done with multiple cuts but I just feel more comfortable being able to get through it. you know?

I personally like a more balanced saw when felling, but I'm no professional. That's just feels most comfortable for me. I really like the 3/4 wrap that I put on one of mine for felling. IMG_20151126_190840.jpg

This is actually the saw I will be posting for sale! Minus the 3/4 wrap, large cover, and large dawgs. Well atleast the 3/4 wrap. I could be talked out of the cover and dawgs.

Photos that people are sending me as well as the ones on this thread are not loading up all the way for me and sometimes not at all. Whats the problem?

Back