70e plastic flywheel, 3-D printable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I don't really like to dink around with 3D printing as an end product. From my perspective, you do it to verify that the thing will fit, and if you're lucky, you can try it as part of a working mechanism.

Then you touch it up, make a mold off of it, and throw it back in the resin recycling bucket. :D

Most places where I've seen it in action are still using the laser cured resin versions. And in those places, you've got a small army of people working on various phases of it. Or at least, 4-5 people. :D

The cheaper ones remind me of an old technique where you take a part, or a broken part, abrade it, then get out the super glue and baking soda to build up, and modify what you want. It was an easy way to add and subtract, plus you had a little mechanical strength. But you really wouldn't want to replace something like a mower part with it, or the vibration would rip it to pieces.

For just mold making, some of the old soldiers used a block of foam, a pencil torch, dremel, etc and could crank something out faster than a 3D printer, and a render monkey inputting the data.

So, plenty of ways to do it.

As for the $30 a month thing, if you're even doing just a short production run of 20-100 parts, $30 is nothing. For some shops it makes more sense to just pay $600-$2400 up front, and then it's there to use, whenever, and for-8-10 years, until your hardware/OS platform becomes non viable.

autodesk remake looks like a gamechanger. with the ability to "scan" by using just photos... thats amazing. fantastic.

I haven't gotten into 3d printing myself ...one day :)

Think of it as doing the inverse of a panorama shot. Then it makes a bit more sense. 3D game animators have been doing similar things with the "skins" for their models for a long long time.

Personally I don't really like to dink around with 3D printing as an end product. From my perspective, you do it to verify that the thing will fit, and if you're lucky, you can try it as part of a working mechanism.
Again, it depends on what you are doing with it. We use it for making prototype mock-up parts to try out various designs, but mostly for making manufacturing, test and calibration fixtures for use on the production floor. We're using the now more common printers that build the part from strings of hot plastic. You'd be surprised what you can make using something like PETG or ABS, such as the flywheel here or the fixture jaw I showed in #36 above. That jaw lasted for many months before developing a stress crack, and then we just tweaked the design and printed another.

But for a production part? No way. Too slow, too many materials and finish limitations. It can be useful for making repair parts for various things, and I even made parts that ran on the inside of a saw engine for a while - they held up far longer than I expected them too. PETG is fuel proof.

For some shops it makes more sense to just pay $600-$2400 up front, and then it's there to use, whenever, and for-8-10 years, until your hardware/OS platform becomes non viable.
You cannot, Remake is only offered as a subscription. Autodesk stopped offering permanent licensees on Inventor after we had 3 seats and would only sell us a subscription. You stop paying and the software stops working. They lost our business and we now have 4 seats of Solidworks.

Again, it depends on what you are doing with it. We use it for making prototype mock-up parts to try out various designs, but mostly for making manufacturing, test and calibration fixtures for use on the production floor. We're using the now more common printers that build the part from strings of hot plastic. You'd be surprised what you can make using something like PETG or ABS, such as the flywheel here or the fixture jaw I showed in #36 above. That jaw lasted for many months before developing a stress crack, and then we just tweaked the design and printed another.

For prototyping/testing I think something like this is the holy grail, who cares if it costs $115 thousand.

http://www.prodways.com/en/initial/metal-fusion/

This guy used to have a monthly spot in one of the electronics magazines
that I read (20~odd years ago).
[ Don Lancaster ] http://www.tinaja.com/
The "Christmas Machine" was a term he introduced to my little mind, many years ago.

Why no cross link plastic? Is it to strong for the machine to cut? I used to do rotational molding and that stuff is stupid strong. Quality controll for that stuff was whacking it with a 3 lbs mallet and if it broke it was no good if not it was cured right. Smells like ammonia when it melts tho.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Resurrecting an old post. I have been playing with various plastics and found that PETG (Chris-PA had mentioned it in earlier posts) actually has better properties than the ABS I originally printed the original fans out of. Strength wise, ABS is perfectly fine. But for prolonged exposure to solvents (ie gasoline) PETG is superior. If anyone is interested in purchasing the flywheel fans, let me know, I have had a few on saws for a while and they seem to be working great.

Big richard...glad to see you back. I'm still using the 3d printed stuff you sent me!
Good to hear. I have a few more made that I don't think I ever sent. Here is a picture of the latest 70e flyhweel fan using the new material. I know it's not in Jonsered red but it will have to do.Jonsered_70e_PETG.jpg

Back