72-74 JD 410D backhoe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle.kipple

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Couple issues with my parents old backhoe. I was using it this past fall and ran the hydraulics really low to the point of the hoe barely working and jerky (the hoe side swing cylinder leaks bad!). Put me some fresh oil back in the next day and topped the system off. After 20-30 minutes of full cycle movement with the hoe I had full function back as all the air was passed. The front bucket on the other hand will not give in to me. I’ve cycled the control is every direction many times. I’ve cracked the lines while running and fluid does pump when I operate the control. I’m confident I just have air in the rams. But I cannot get it out!
Any tricks anyone know? No there is no bleeder on this unit. From what little I could find on the web people just cycle the unit and it will work itself out, as the hoe did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... First you need to fix your leaks, or you’re pissing in the wind. Second, you need to ask yourself why in the hell you would let your oil levels get so low. ISO 46 oil is cheap, burning up a hydraulic pump is not. Last, why did you let it sit the whole winter with a known problem? Letting equipment sit is bad enough, letting it sit with air in the system is even worse. I know I probably come off like a ****, but hydraulic equipment usually has big repair bills when you let problems get bad, unlike chainsaws amd other small engine stuff.

Then, open the return line and cycle the controls. Oil should displace the air and the air will come out of the return line. If that does not bleed anything, you need to go upstream. Just because there is oil moving doesn’t mean you have appropriate pressure. Check your valves. Does the 410D have one or two pumps? Usually one will cover two backhoe functions and one loader function and vice versa. If it only has one pump, well, that’s a different story. I don’t know the spec on a 410D, but the older Case 580/680s I ran at the beginning of my career from that vintage were ~2300 psi or so warm.

Or, you could just go chat up the service guy at the John Deere dealership. That’s pretty much a guarantee to get a good answer.

2 cylinders have been leaking for 10 years. Steadily got worse when they used it. When I brought it to my house last summer I rebuilt the right steering ram but never tackled the big one on the hoe. As for sitting all winter, Neglect I know. As for one or two pumps I couldn’t tell you. I will talk to a JD dealer and see what they will offer.
Thanks for the advice, and whipping lol

You sure it's a "D"?

71-83 would be a 410.

The 410D would make it a 1991-97.

We have a 310A, late 70s, early 80s.

It's quite similar to the 410.

I've worked on it a bit, so not an expert (might use it 10hrs a year) but AFAIK there is just 1 pump for all of the hydraulics. it's at the front of the engine.

It says 410D on the side of it and on the model plate. I can post a couple pictures on my day off.

Back