7900 rebuild... YES ANOTHER DOLMAR 6400-7900 thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
I was just wanting to know if anyone has done a full rebuild on a 7900? I know these are really reliable saws but surely someone has... Right?

I'm mostly wanting to know if the 6400/7900 bearings and seals are standard size? Just wanting to know how parts availability will be in 10-20-30 years from now. I know husky mostly uses standard size seals and bearings and Stihl is notorious for not using standard sizes. Just wanted to know where Dolmar fell in this category. Also any threads, comments, impressions others have on a full Dolly rebuild. Asked this in another thread and I think it got glanced over...

Cheers and Happy FRIDAY!

PS: yes i titled this thread to look like a build thread to sucker more people into it... :)

I've done full rebuilds several times, problems ranging from straight-gassed to tree smashed. The crank bearings are made by Schaeffler FAG, 6203 series bearings. I'm sure they could be sourced elsewhere.

cool. Was the rebuild pretty easy? I know the 7900 series is pretty easy to work on in general but just curious... I've begun to see more and more of these things localy. Case splitter needed? just bake or heat the case halves to get the bearings in right?

Seen/read tons of husky and stihl rebuild threads but never a 7900 series rebuild thread...

The Dolmar 6400/7900 family is set up more like a Husqvarna than a Stihl.

Rumered that the orginal R&D was a joint venture with Solo?

I have some of these and the 5105 but never any major trouble with them.

I've never had any problems with my 6401 bbk except a carb cleaning... I'm just waiting for the day a strait gassed Home depot model comes across my bench...

I was just wanting to know if anyone has done a full rebuild on a 7900? I know these are really reliable saws but surely someone has... Right?

I'm mostly wanting to know if the 6400/7900 bearings and seals are standard size? Just wanting to know how parts availability will be in 10-20-30 years from now. I know husky mostly uses standard size seals and bearings and Stihl is notorious for not using standard sizes. Just wanted to know where Dolmar fell in this category. Also any threads, comments, impressions others have on a full Dolly rebuild. Asked this in another thread and I think it got glanced over...

Cheers and Happy FRIDAY!

PS: yes i titled this thread to look like a build thread to sucker more people into it... :)

Got mine rebuilt back in mid July after waiting for 6 monthes because they could not get one screw. I was going to just buy a new one and use this one for parts since the rebuild cost was going to be over 6 bills but the saw has less then 20 hrs on it and they could not get anymore 7900's since they were replaced by the 7910's and I did not want a new untested model so I spent the coin and got a nice running saw back. I do need to build up a parts supply though. I wish dolmar would sell a screw kit like stihl does but some of the screw interchange so that part is ok.

I'm kind of doing some research on this now. I'm looking in to a 'status unknown' used PS6400 at the moment. It's in a service shop that has rental equipment, so the history is kind of vague. Anyway, the saw itself looks great, but the bar looks as though it's been used for a while. I will probably go before the new year and give it a good once over to see where it's at in terms of required maintenance.

You will not have the long term back up of stihl and husqvarna and certainly not the same sort of AM supply but as a bloke with a lot of older dolmars you can generally get what you need to keep the saws running. 6400 is very similar in basic design to the 372 husky and and has no inherent problems. If you are genuinely looking at a long term saw just buy the bits and pieces that are likely to wear out now. I would have loved to have brought 10 120si air filters when they were available!!!

I’ve done rebuilds on these and to me probably one of the easiest saws to work on.
On that note I wouldn’t hesitate having these saws for long term. Internals such as bearings and such are interchangeable and a common number. Coils can be replaced with a Husky 272 coil and rebuilt timing. The Zama carbs can be replaced with Walbro’s from a Husky 372 xp.
Get a couple extra fuel lines, a spare air filter and on on/off switch. Screws and the switch can be sorces from a Stihl dealer.
Plastics and such hoard as you see fit.
I think these saws will be around for awhile because of their performance. They are a favorite of many of us!!

Back