800p muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuse0rang3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
14954760144091919570868.jpg 1495476167213109036718.jpg Hey guys. Brand new member here. (And fairly inexperienced chainsaw user, too, as you will soon learn by my newb question.) I recently bought a echo cs 800p for chainsaw milling and noticed there is a thin metal x shaped piece on the front of the muffler (held on by hex screws) that covers 2 holes. My smaller saw has similar 2 holes on front of muffler but they are uncovered. Can someone explain to me the purpose of the part that covers up what I assume to be ports on the front of the muffler. Why its there, does it need to be there, will I be better served to remove it, etc. Sorry if this a dumb question I have a (VERY) limited mechanical knowledge of chainsaw. Thanks in advance guys.14954760144091919570868.jpg 1495476167213109036718.jpg

Also, does anyone know whether or not pulling the limiter caps on the carb adjusters voids the warranty on a saw?

Does pulling that's caps void the warranty? Yes. Does it matter? No, the warranty from my past experience is a joke, imho. Listen to the big boys on here and do a search on how to do a muffler mod and retune the carb. You will have a BEAST of a saw that will perform better and last longer.

I appreciate the advice danger. Still, I'm baffled by what that part could be intended for. Like I said, I dont have a working knowledge of saws, but all I can see that part doing is choking up the exhaust and making the saw run hot. But I dont want to take it off until someone with more know how than me says its ok to do.

You are correct on your assumption. The limiters prevent you from tuning the carb to how it should be running, that's because of EPA regulations for emissions. The muffler too. Just pretend it's a deer you just shot and gut it.

The carb is set way lean to make emissions standards so making it run richer is too your favor. I learned all this here after my saw broke a piston after only 10 months and YES, I do take care of my equipment. Now I know how to real world take care of my equipment.

The brace on the front is a support to help prevent the exhaust flange area from cracking where it bolts to the jug. Echo has a heavy muffler and that supports the weight from vibrations. Pull ur tuning caps off the carb and tune the saw to run cooler and better. Echo will last forever if it don't get burnt up from epa specs. I'm on 6 years of run the snot out of my Lil echo 360t and it just keeps making me money 200 plus days a year.

Break your saw in at 32 1 mix for a gallon or more and remove your spark screen for break in with lots of oil.
Don't expect your saw to piss rev. They are slow to break in and free up

The brace on the front is a support to help prevent the exhaust flange area from cracking where it bolts to the jug. Echo has a heavy muffler and that supports the weight from vibrations. Pull ur tuning caps off the carb and tune the saw to run cooler and better. Echo will last forever if it don't get burnt up from epa specs. I'm on 6 years of run the snot out of my Lil echo 360t and it just keeps making me money 200 plus days a year.

I understand the bracket part. That's the part I folded down for the second picture. But if you take the screws out of the bracket, there is a thin piece of metal (seen in first pic) that blocks the larger upper right and lower left "ports" that you can see in the second pic. What I dont understand is why those larger holes are there and then just get blocked off. And by the way, thanks for the help guys. Your knowledge is appreciated.

Single cylinder two stroke chainsaw engines produce alot of vibration. The purpose of the X is to capture the bolts that fasten the muffler to the cylinder, should they loosen from vibration. The x sits behind the bracket up against the face of the muffler and has two holes in it for the face bolts which are separate.

Run that beast at 32/1 fuel ratio. Milling is some of the hardest work a saw can do.

If you muffler mod a milling saw, design the mod carefully so exhaust doesn't hit the mill. That actually throws alot of heat back on the saw (and you). Nearly all of my saws are muffler modded, except my 395xp milling saw.

Deflect it down and away from you and the mill. Maybe a long tube. Or leave it be...

Back