$8400 Firewood Processor. What do you thing of it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just found this relatively new post on the internet for a firewood processor.

http://edmundston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-a...ssor-Winter-Special-Now-On-W0QQAdIdZ173304759

Click the below link to watch a youtube video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUt_ogGY7IY

I don't sell firewood. I'd just like an inexpensive and reliable firewood processor to make my own firewood. I currently use a simply little Ryobi electric log splitter, but it take me all day to buck and split one cord. And there's a lot of lifting and re-lifting of the wood. I'm thinking that this puppy, with a 4-way split, would save me a heck of a lot of work ! ! !

Considering it's relatively low price ($8400 Canadian = $8954 US), what do you think of it? I could build one for less, but would it be worth the time and effort?

Now if Santa could just get this down my chimney ~ ~ ~

Let me know what you think guys, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Don <><

Update: Thanks for your posts guys. I did get the conversion rate wrong. It would be about $7700. US and not $8954 like I said above.

Found this legal definition of a bush cord. "Although there are many names associated with a cord of wood, the legal definition of a cord of firewood in the US and Canada, is a full or bush cord, which measures 4' wide x 4' high x 8' long and is 128 cubic feet in volume." You can check this out at: http://housewares.about.com/od/heatingproducts/f/cordofwood.htm

Starting out with 8 foot logs, I don't see how any log splitter is anywhere near as fast as this machine. You'd first have to buck those logs with a chain saw. That in itself takes a lot of time and effort. Then you'd have to lift the rounds on to a splitter. This machine does all that, and without all the lifting. Or am I missing something.

A fully decked out TW-6 would cost approximately $9130. See review and price of TW-6 at http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/pdf/TW_TW6_review.pdf

What ever I buy (or build) I would probably sell a few cords a year to help the machine pay for itself.

I hadn't considered the chain flying off. Good point.

It will cut a 16 in diameter log. I seldom get logs that big when I order a full trailer load of about 12 full cords of 8 foot logs.

I appreciate your comments, both positive and negative. They all give me food for thought. So keep those post a come'n.

Last edited:
8400 canadian = around $7700 US.

You would have to be cutting a lot of wood to justify cost for personal use.
If you were looking for a commercial quality processor that one would not be my choice.

I wouldn't want to be standing where that guy is standing when the chain flys off the bar - and it will fly off at some point.

Interesting definition of a bush cord, loadthestove.
Around here a bush cord is a wood pile 4' high, 8' long and the wood is usually 4' long.
Face cord is 4' high, 8' long and either 12" or 16" long. The price will be different depending on length of the wood.

I don't like it. It looks flimsy. The splitter is slow also. It needs something to hold the log while it is being cut. At one time the log almost fell on his leg. I would rather have a table like a different site member built (drmiller). Add that to a super splitter and our set. If you are looking at that process it tells me you cut smaller wood. Just buy a super splitter and get it done. Fast easy and only 3k.

Scott

I didn't like it either and thought it looked cheap and flimsy as well.
Plus I would hate that you could only do small to medium sized wood.

1) Waaaay too much money for what you are getting (engine, hydro,saw etc

2) Do not like design
a) Chain saw position relative to operator is assinine... catastrophe in making
b) Need very strong back to constantly dig out/reposition splits from low bin
c Need even stronger testicles to lift logs up to tray to cut rounds

Other than that, not too much else to say

Why not invest in a quality splitting maul? They're much faster, and with most wood, it's not more effort to swing the maul than to bust your hump hefting it to the splitter.

Why not invest in a quality splitting maul? They're much faster, and with most wood, it's not more effort to swing the maul than to bust your hump hefting it to the splitter.
I got a half cord or so of red oak bucked up, you want to come demonstrate how thats done?You can bring your own mall or I got one you can use.

AS with all those compact processors hitting the market, what do you do with all the wood you have that isn't straight as a telephone pole. For me thats most of what I have. Or the big but rounds?

Hard to tell how sturdy it is from the video - sure is a lot more affordable than some of the other firewood processors. Maybe it could be beefed up if the basic design is OK but slightly lightweight in some components. Looks easier and faster than bucking on the ground, then manually feeding the splitter.

The hand operated bar is an interesting way to trade off the cost and complexity of a hydraulically operated bar. I like the optional log lift, and would want to look into the 4 way splitter wings to eliminate the bending over and double handling, noted above and shown in the later half of the video.

Not sure about the chain thrown comments. It does have that halo guard, and I am assuming a chain catcher. In my experience, when a chain flys off the bar it usually just hangs down by the motor. But chain shot from broken chain is an issue with mechanical harvesters (see below). Maybe the guarding and the location of the handle and hydraulic controls could be improved to further protect against this.

Philbert

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/chain_shot.htm
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/chain_shot_safeguards.htm

Latest posts

Back