87 octane in ms270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don’t want to be anywhere near Gatlinburg this time of year.
Unless you like sitting in traffc?
Been going since 1969. I know all the back roads and shortcuts and no problems getting around.11 Million tourists per year. Man they have really pumped some money into the burg since the 2016 fire.

I heard 5w30 at 16:1 is good stuff. :laugh:
5w-30 will make your saw burn down, cause ED, a hole in the ozone layer, and make your dog leave you. It's very serious.

Straight 30w non detergent all the way. But only if the store shelf it's sitting on is facing the west. If the shelf is facing the east, it'll rearrange the ions in the oil and cause all the problems above, plus you'll have confused ions - and no one wants that.

5w-30 will make your saw burn down, cause ED, a hole in the ozone layer, and make your dog leave you. It's very serious.

Straight 30w non detergent all the way. But only if the store shelf it's sitting on is facing the west. If the shelf is facing the east, it'll rearrange the ions in the oil and cause all the problems above, plus you'll have confused ions - and no one wants that.
If it has no detergent, how will it wash my clothes?

Only thing i really know for my saw according to the manual is use API TC oil and Carquest oil has that on the bottle so i use it. I really don't have the knowledge in starting a oil thread let alone a fuel thread.

Been going since 1969. I know all the back roads and shortcuts and no problems getting around.11 Million tourists per year. Man they have really pumped some money into the burg since the 2016 fire.

Good to know.
My family is from there.
If you know where the Old Mill is in Pigeon Forge, my Grandfathers farm was pretty much right behind it.

Boy I sure am glad I stumbled on this thread.Years ago when oil came in metal cans I stacked a full case of 24 cans pointing north.We are fairly close to the north pole here in northern Canada.I guess I must have had them pointing at magnetic north as the cans of oil became magnetized and I could not pour the oil out of the cans .I had to throw it away.Always east and west facing now.

What is the octane rating of a fuel?

The ability to resist ignition.

What is ignition? (Spark)Timing and compression.

What is your timing, what is your compression? Brand new, rated at 89 with 10% ethanol. Ethanol reduces octane rating. 87 eth free probably going to do the job.

Saw is half clapped out, lost a bit of compression? Doesnt need 89 anymore.

What do I run? 94 octane, ethanol free. Does that help?

Boy I sure am glad I stumbled on this thread.Years ago when oil came in metal cans I stacked a full case of 24 cans pointing north.We are fairly close to the north pole here in northern Canada.I guess I must have had them pointing at magnetic north as the cans of oil became magnetized and I could not pour the oil out of the cans .I had to throw it away.Always east and west facing now.
Since all of the refugees have come to our shores, they must point to Mecca.

What is the octane rating of a fuel? The ability to resist ignition. What is ignition? (Spark)Timing and compression.
What is your timing, what is your compression? Brand new, rated at 89 with 10% ethanol. Ethanol reduces octane rating. 87 eth free probably going to do the job. Saw is half clapped out, lost a bit of compression? Doesnt need 89 anymore. What do I run? 94 octane, ethanol free. Does that help?

Not exactly correct, but maybe close. Octane is more the ability for fuel to burn slow or slower. Pretty much anybody could set up car or pickup to run on poor grade fuel. Retard timing. Low octane fuel burns very fast or faster than higher octane fuel. With low grade fuel engine will knock because fuel immediately ignites. It will deliver it's punch quick causing piston to be pushed down before it is able to be fully on power stroke. Take 80 octane fuel and add 20% alcohol which is about 110 octane rating and you will be well past the 87 octane rating. This is done for a number of common reasons. Most alcohols or combinations of them have a very strong attraction towards moisture which is good and bad. A good thing about them is that they keep a fuel system dry of moisture unless they are allowed to be stored for a long period of time. The bad thing that most people mention is that it will deteriorate some rubber compounds which is not desirable. Alcohol burns at a very much reduced temperature compared to gasoline. Alcohol takes from 10 to 40% more volume than gasoline to produce same energy. So if one is building a race engine the OP would need to increase jet sizes or fuel injectors to allow at least 25% more fuel to combustion chamber. WWII aircraft engines for many situations relied heavily on alcohol supplementation. With high grade fuels that burn slower allows engine to have a longer power stoke duration delivering more power over all. With two strokes octane is not very critical because engines run at 6,000 to 14,000 RPM which would not be able to find much value using high test gasoline. Thanks

What is with all this holistic mumbo jumbo voodoo octane stuff?

Octane is C8H18
Condensed Octane is CH3(CH2)6CH3

It is not an expression of anything other than a chemical formula.

RON is the actual scientific concentration of that chemical formula in a fuel blend.

MON is a manipulated formula/blend for anti-knock properties that contains a set concentration of that chemical formula.

You can love it, hug it, wave a stick over it, or put it on a golden pedestal and it will still just be a chemical formula.

Octane itself is not even a component in the thermodynamic formula and measurement of engine efficiency. It is simply one of the many variables of the fuel-air mixture.

Back