922 super xl recoil grief

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin Hommy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Homelite 922 super xl, recoil is clean and in good condition, moves freely and reacts as it should. When I bolt it on to the saw it will pull out and crank the saw over but will not release from the catches on the flywheel, anyone know why? I see a lot of recoil threads on here but nothing pertaining to my problem, help please!

-Dustin

Show pics of the flywheel and the pulley. Some saws, you need to put the starter on, and then pull the rope while holding it in place, with the plug out helps. And make sure it is properly seated between the pawls, then install the bolts/screws.

Do the flywheel fingers move freely, springs not broken, coat fingers with some WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the flywheel move freely, springs not broken, coat fingers with some WD

I'll try lubing up the flywheel catches, they move freely on the flywheel but dont want to release from the recoil drive. Seems funny that they would require lube given their design...

Show pics of the flywheel and the pulley. Some saws, you need to put the starter on, and then pull the rope while holding it in place, with the plug out helps. And make sure it is properly seated between the pawls, then install the bolts/screws.
You bet, T
You bet, this is one of them. Slight turn on the recoil and it falls into place, after it sticks out you have to remove the recoil cover and it quickly recoils back in. Pics to come tonight.

Is this new? Or this your first time with it? Is the rope pulley rubbing against flywheel? I fixed one one time that the owner put a washer behind the starter pulley and rubbed against the flywheel not letting recoil back in

Is this new? Or this your first time with it? Is the rope pulley rubbing against flywheel? I fixed one one time that the owner put a washer behind the starter pulley and rubbed against the flywheel not letting recoil back in

Just got it home the other day, rope was stuck out when I got it. That's a possibility, but it can be hard to tell what is actually hanging up in there once it's mounted. I didn't see anything in behind that would put the rope pulley closer to the flywheel. The knot for the rope end is sticking out on the flywheel side of the rope pulley, I wonder if that's wrong. Of course I can't look again until I get home.

That could do it, the rope knot is sticking out and rubbing

Back