96' Bandit 250 feeder rollers stopping...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise Palm

Reaction score
Hi guys, picked up a 1996 bandit 250xp trying to upgrade from an Eager beaver 12". Bandit has the perkins diesel and has had the autofeed removed. So engine runs strong, hydraulics work. Fluid was milky so i changed it and the filter. My issue is as soon as i put anything to the rollers, they come to a complete stop. Tried disconnecting the yoke for less pressure and didnt make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You need to be sure the pressure in the system is running at rated pressure. Maybe 2,500psi.
Just ordered a hydraulic pressure test kit. Should have it by Tuesday. I will put up pictures of my system up soon. The pump runs off of the engine, should the gauge be put immediately after the pump? Or before a feeder motor? Thanks!

Just after the valve that the feed bar controls. The valve may be how you adjust the pressure. It is on my 1996 bandit 250. I do not have auto feed so yours may vary. All you need to do is to put a tee and a high pressure gauge after the control valve. Don't leave the gauge in, replace it with a plug when not setting. Log splitters are done the same way.

Hi guys, picked up a 1996 bandit 250xp trying to upgrade from an Eager beaver 12". Bandit has the perkins diesel and has had the autofeed removed. So engine runs strong, hydraulics work. Fluid was milky so i changed it and the filter. My issue is as soon as i put anything to the rollers, they come to a complete stop. Tried disconnecting the yoke for less pressure and didnt make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Take a look at the hydraulic feed motors. Sometimes the keyways break but have enough grab to turn the rollers till they are under pressure. Buddy had a similar problem with his and had to replace the hydro motor, the keyway didn't break away, the groove in the driveshaft did.

On ours the pressure had backed way off. We plumbed in a gauge and have to adjust it maybe once a year.

The keyways are worn and top one was shot. Put a bolt in it to finish a job, actually had to put in a new bolt about once a day till the job was finished and we got it back to the shop.

You also have to dead head the hydraulic system. Put a 2 x 4 on the top feed roller and reverse the bar. When the 2 x 4 locks the feed rollers, then check the pressure.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

On ours the pressure had backed way off. We plumbed in a gauge and have to adjust it maybe once a year.

The keyways are worn and top one was shot. Put a bolt in it to finish a job, actually had to put in a new bolt about once a day till the job was finished and we got it back to the shop.
Yup I had this problem on my old morbark 200 I myself bolted it together for a bit went through a couple dozen bolts fillally got pissed off at it enough I took a cutoff wheel to it and cut the whole shebang off so I had to fix it, welded new couplers on with new keyed shafts many headaches solved!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I had to rebuild the ends of the feed rollers and replace the connection between the hyd motor and the feed roller.

The key system used was a poor system. I got so I was sheering keys quite often getting down to doing it every 8 hours of chipping or so.

Bandit sells the rebuild kit parts. It is a much better system and does require welding on the feed rollers.

What did you end up finding was the issue? Mine seems to be having the same issue.

Just ordered a hydraulic pressure test kit. Should have it by Tuesday. I will put up pictures of my system up soon. The pump runs off of the engine, should the gauge be put immediately after the pump? Or before a feeder motor? Thanks!

Bandit usually puts a pressure gauge on their systems. Look for a plug on the control valve with signs that it has been removed and re-plugged with an unpainted part. Try that port at engine idle with no big loads, then see if your gauge is working right.

Test the system pressure by stalling out a hydraulic cylinder, then see what pressure you get on the feed rollers.

Take a look at the hydraulic feed motors. Sometimes the keyways break but have enough grab to turn the rollers till they are under pressure. Buddy had a similar problem with his and had to replace the hydro motor, the keyway didn't break away, the groove in the driveshaft did.

Good call! If your hydraulic motors are wobbling a whole lot as they rotate: that's a good sign you have a lot of wear in the coupling. That can be a problem, too.

Back