_____Chain Experts Weigh In.....Mt. St. Helen's Chain???_____

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idahonative

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guys, anyone ever heard of "Mt. St. Helen's chain"? After it blew, a chain was developed to cope with the terrible problems the ash was creating for the loggers. Apparently it was nearly impossible to keep a traditional chain sharp. This St. Helen's chain worked so good, guys started using it for general wood cutting since it could saw through dirty logs like nothing anyone had ever seen. You could literally saw all day and never sharpen your chain. The chain disappeared from the market because, rumor was, it was too aggressive and it was deemed too dangerous to continue manufacturing (kickback?). Rumor was OSHA played a large part in getting it banned.

This is the story as I remember it being told but I was only 10 years old when St. Helen's blew. I helped my dad a lot even at that age and I remember quite a bit about him using it. He bought it by the spool and made his own loops. I was always intrigued with the design. It was then, and still is today unlike anything on the market (that I'm aware of).

Anyone else have first or second hand experience? I've been intrigued by this chain nearly all my life because it is so different than anything I've ever seen. I would like to know more about why it was discontinued and if the rumors were true. I know the members on this site hold a wealth of knowledge and I'm excited to see where this thread goes.

I would be still baffled to this chain being real sharp and last long . those 2 things do not mix in the saw chain world . I would also be curious what metal it was made of .

You are thinking of it like traditional chain and that's why it's hard to understand. It was real sharp and lasted a long time because of the design. As far as the metal, I believe it was made out of similar metal as a traditional chain would have been. The secret wasn't in the metal...it was in the design.

You are thinking of it like traditional chain and that's why it's hard to understand. It was real sharp and lasted a long time because of the design. As far as the metal, I believe it was made out of similar metal as a traditional chain would have been. The secret wasn't in the metal...it was in the design.
I understand that but design . how much more screwing around could they do to a chain . we have been cutting timber for 100 years and the chainsaw chain really hasent changed much in design wise .yes they have inpoved but the concept is still the same

I have to say, I'm surprised (with the vast experience on this forum) that no one has knowledge of this chain. Like I said, my dad bought it by the spool. He passed away five years ago and I recently was going through some of his chainsaw stuff (he had A LOT of stuff). I found a piece of this chain that was not big enough to make a loop that he saved (thankfully, he didn't throw anything away).

I will get some nice pics so all can see what I'm talking about. But before I post pics, I'm going to let this thread go a little longer and give the "old timers" a chance to weigh in.

I understand that but design . how much more screwing around could they do to a chain . we have been cutting timber for 100 years and the chainsaw chain really hasent changed much in design wise .yes they have inpoved but the concept is still the same

And that's what is so intriguing. I remember my dad talking to friends when this chain was banned. He was really mad because it was head and shoulders better than anything else you could buy. He jokingly said the government probably banned it because it was too good. He said (had it continued production) it would have put all other manufacturers out of the chain business and I have to agree with that statement. He liked it so much for how long it would stay sharp cutting dirty, skidded logs and how easy it was to sharpen.

I'll put another clue out there. Let's say you were doing some woodworking and all you had was a hammer and chisel. You had a beam that needed a one inch wide and one inch deep trough chiseled in it. How would you go about doing this?

I was out there last summer. Absolutely amazed at the amount of logs still floating on one of the lakes below.

I could see true carbide doing well. But not the stuff stihl makes that is brazed on or even their fire rescue stuff which needs to be held at the proper angle ie. it was designed for fire rescue.

Also maybe something with a very very sharp angle with narrow kerf maybe?

I was out there last summer. Absolutely amazed at the amount of logs still floating on one of the lakes below.

I could see true carbide doing well. But not the stuff stihl makes that is brazed on or even their fire rescue stuff which needs to be held at the proper angle ie. it was designed for fire rescue.

Also maybe something with a very very sharp angle with narrow kerf maybe?

Ok, another clue: This chain had two different teeth. One traditional and a special one that was sharpened straight across (90*). This "special" tooth was the magic of the design.

That's about all the clues I can give without giving it away. I'm going to let this thread go for a few days before I post pics. Maybe this weekend would be a good time.

Ok, another clue: This chain had two different teeth. One traditional and a special one that was sharpened straight across (90*). This "special" tooth was the magic of the design.

That's about all the clues I can give without giving it away. I'm going to let this thread go for a few days before I post pics. Maybe this weekend would be a good time.

Oh you have pics and holding out on us! Man that isn't any fun!

If it is the chain that I think you are referring to, it had dual scoring cutters, shaped like the letter 'Y'. It shows up now and then, under different names, and has been discussed before here on A. S.

As I understand, it was not banned, but just did not cut as well as you describe.

Philbert

I'm going to let this thread go for a few days before I post pics. Maybe this weekend would be a good time.

Holding the ice cream untill it melts isnt a fun way of sharing your goodies.
Put the pics up man ................
Even if you are the last man on earth that knows this - holding out aint right

If it is the chain that I think you are referring to, it had dual scoring cutters, shaped like the letter 'Y'. It shows up now and then, under different names, and has been discussed before here on A. S.

As I understand, it was not banned, but just did not cut as well as you describe.

Philbert
Have you got any pics or links to said chain ?

Philbert

Is this chain that you speak of currently being sold?

Back