_____Chain Experts Weigh In.....Mt. St. Helen's Chain???_____

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is the chain that I think you are referring to, it had dual scoring cutters, shaped like the letter 'Y'. It shows up now and then, under different names, and has been discussed before here on A. S.

As I understand, it was not banned, but just did not cut as well as you describe.

Philbert

You are a knowledgeable man Philbert. Do you have links to the AS discussions? I have searched and found nothing.

If it is the chain that I think you are referring to, it had dual scoring cutters, shaped like the letter 'Y'. It shows up now and then, under different names, and has been discussed before here on A. S.

As I understand, it was not banned, but just did not cut as well as you describe.

Philbert
Yes, it sounds like the description for some antique/obsolete chain I've seen here. Is that what's referred to as"scratcher" chain, or is that a different form?

Scratcher chain is different - it has all scoring cutters, without any chipper teeth.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/scratcher-chain.271236/

Some ripping chain (e.g. Granberg - photo below) has additional scoring teeth, and some people I know grind off the top plates on every 3rd and 4th tooth, shaping the side plates into scoring cutters, to make special ripping chains.

Screen shot 2015-06-16 at 10.34.01 AM.png

Philbert

Seems to me I read an article on chainsaw history once that the original chain design on the first chainsaws invented had those "Y" shaped cutters and required sharpening very seldom. These saws were made to produce rough cut lumber on site. Just my wild guess in a weak attempt to subscribe to the thread.

Scratcher chain is different - it has all scoring cutters, without any chipper teeth.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/scratcher-chain.271236/

Some ripping chain (e.g. Granberg) has additional scoring teeth, and some people I know grind off the top plates on every 3rd and 4th tooth, shaping the side plates into scoring cutters, to make special ripping chains.

Philbert

The chain I'm referring to is definitely NOT the "scratcher" in that link. But according to your post (#17), I believe you know exactly what chain I'm talking about.

My question would have to be is how in the world could they get the y shape cutters to cut good . from my understanding that would bring out a really weird chip and would be rough to cut with .

You are a knowledgeable man Philbert.
Do I win something? Maybe a foot or two of that chain for my collection?

Do you have links to the AS discussions?

I am looking, but have not found them yet. I remember that 'we' ran across a partial reel at a GTG several years ago, in a box of chains someone had bought at an auction. I will keep looking for those posts.

Here is an illustration from Mike Acres site for Atlas B50W chain (this is an odd pitch - there may have been others):
Screen shot 2015-06-16 at 10.15.47 AM.png
Philbert

My question would have to be is how in the world could they get the y shape cutters to cut good . from my understanding that would bring out a really weird chip and would be rough to cut with .

Remember my post talking about the hammer and chisel? Those "Y" teeth are not for cutting, they are for "scribing". The other (traditional) teeth are for cutting or "clearing" what has been scribed.

Do I win something? Maybe a foot or two of that chain for my collection?

I am looking, but have not found them yet. I remember that 'we' ran across a partial reel at a GTG several years ago, in a box of chains someone had bought at an auction. I will keep looking for those posts.

Here is an illustration from Mike Acres site for Atlas B50W chain (this is an odd pitch - there may have been others):
View attachment 430982
Philbert

That pic is vaguely similar but defiantly NOT the chain I'm holding in my hand. The chain I'm holding in my hand will cut circles around that chain. No safety guards, better Y tooth, better cutting tooth.

Having no safety guards may lend some credence to OSHA banning this chain. Looking at it, kickback would be a real possibility especially on a 1980 saw with no chain brake. I asked our local saw shop guy a few years ago about this chain and he also said it was banned by OSHA for being too aggressive. Keep in mind, this chain was being used extensively to log ash covered timber after St. Helen's blew. It was said to be the only chain that would hold an edge in that abrasive environment.

Lol - pics? You first.

I wasn't asking you for pics Chris. I was asking for the AS links that you were referring to:

"Yes, it sounds like the description for some antique/obsolete chain I've seen here."

Like I said, pics coming tonight.

Holy Cow Philbert! I am truly impressed! Never heard it called the "Kolve chain" but we will, for the time being, say that is what it is. It was always just called the "Mt. St. Helen's chain" around here.

The chain I'm holding in my hand is the exact chain in the third pic down:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/old-chain-id.267988/

Thanks Philbert. You are a testament to the knowledge on this forum.

Latest posts

Back