A believer in square ground chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Steve offered to sharpen one of my round chisel chains over to square.So I sent it to him.I got it back and put it on my 066.Went out back behind the house to the log pile.Cranked the saw,revved it up and went to town.Dang,I have never cut wood that fast before.That chain really rips now.I was good at sharpening round style but this square ground takes the cake.I was so impressed I went down to the local saw shop to show the guy there how a chain should be sharpened.He to was impressed.I want to thank Steve for a great job on the chain and converting me over to the square side.It's good to be square:D

Hmm, interesting. Does it hold an edge though? A good round filing by me can last up to a full day between filing. How many hours can you use a square filed chain before it needs to be filed again?

I used it all day and is still sharp.I will amit it may be harder trying to touch it up in the field than a round(got to get ust to using a beveled file).

It can be all over in about half a second, same as round filed if you hit mud. Otherwise it should last as long as round filed, only problem is it takes longer to hand file. Maybe CROWE will jump in here, I believe he is using it in the bush on a steady basis.

Frank

square chisel

Cliff,
Steve here... Thanks again for the kind words. I'm glad you like the chain...When it does get dull, send it back, and I'll take the teeth back some more. Should cut even better. I probably need to make a chain for that 090 eh.
Steve

Last edited:
GOOOOOD STUFF!!!!

Yeah, I will jump in on this. I love it. If I would have had any idea that it cut that much better ten years ago I would have been using it. Nobody around use's them. I had to dig around to find a dealer within fifty miles that had the beveled files to sharpen it with. Its a little harder to file its not that bad if you have a vise or if your are in the woods everyday like me I use a stump vise. I couldn't imagine anybody having any success filing it without something to secure the saw to keep it still. You'll not just throw the saw over your knee and give it a touch up inbetween fillups. The chain is fast real fast and real smooth especially when you get back to the second rivet and knock the chin off the gullets. The only downside for some would be that the files are pricy about 4$ a pop as opposed to 1$ a pop for a round file. However, to me it is well worth it. I have found new love in square files. Later Wade

Has anyone done any milling with square ground chain? Would the square grind work on chain ground for ripping ( 0-5 degrees ) or would that screw up the other angles?
Thanks,
George

Woodbeard; the improvement with square filed is the increased efficiency in severing cross grain by the side of the cutter. In cutting end grain allmost all of the work is done by the top plate, so the shape of the side doesn't matter as much.

Frank

That makes sense, as the zero degree grind leaves no cutting edge on the side plate. I might try it anyway, though, just for kicks.

So what is the going rate for having a chain square ground, and who will do it.

square ground chisel chain

Steve here...
$25 Your chain shipped back to you. I have no idea whats fair or what the going rate is. I know the dealers around my area charge $4 to $10 a loop for round, and I think the kid usually makes sure all the teeth are blue when you get it back...ha ha
I grind square chain for fun. Just a hobby.. I'd be more than happy to help anyone out though.
Steve.
Just email me

Rich: I'd suggest you buy a factory square ground chain and play with it. They are the same price if you order. No dealers around here stock them. Also buy a chisel bit file. Until you know what the result is supposed to look like it would be difficult for you to convert a round ground chisel to square filed. Square grinding can only be done on a special grinder as far as I know, but I have only hand filed. If you dont like the square ground chain, it is easy to go the other way and turn it back to round filed. Just two regular sharpenings and you'r back.

Frank,

Are you currently working from the outside or the inside?

Glen

Direction of filing

Glen
I have found it easier to see the corner when I file from the front outside toward the rear and down. Handle high.

Frank

some one said the square files cost more, do they last longer than the round ones??? can't you also use them to take down the rakers? ok, last question for now, how hard is it to learn to hand file it?

Latest posts

Back