A believer in square ground chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan; It does take a lot longer to develop any speed at square filing. you also need more light and it is a bit harder to file on the saw since you are lifting more on the cutter and it wants to rock back. That doesnt mater with a round file but it screws everything up square filing. At least at first the files dont seem to last long because you dont get good pressure and tend to back drag to hold your position. The files wouldnt be much good for rakers esp. the triangular ones. It is slightly faster than round filed chain but not many people would devote the time necessary to get fast enough at it to be practical. I think some of the fastest square filed times you are seeing are with chains that have been taken well back and ground with pretty thin cutting angles. If you go in the same direction with round chisel you will have some pretty nice times too. There is just that little bit of advantage to the square filed that makes the difference in competitions though. It is very tempting but it isn't good bang for the buck.

Frank

Crofter, I must dissagree with you. Square or true chisel will destroy round chisel and by a huge margin both in a race or in the wood pile. I have stood in front of the clock to many times to tell you otherwise.

And if you want to talk race chain, then the difference even gets larger as you cannot attain the angles needed from a round file.
To much hook or not enough on the top and a circle segment on the side with variable angles. inside top plate angle should be correct instead of a hook etc. etc.

Sguare ground/filed chain is just plain faster, period

Ah yes, the square tooth. Greatest thing I ever ran. My local dealer got a reel by mistake and made me two chains. What a difference. That was IIRC 8 years ago. Unfortunately he wasn't able to hand file and couldn't find any source for a grinder to re-sharp. he had to conver it back to round filed for me. Filing myself is no longer an option as my eyes are no longer good enough to do a decent job even on round tooth.

Harry k

Square Vs Round and Bang for the Buck

ROTAX is absolutely right about square filed or ground chain being a more efficient cutter. What I was getting at is the overall benefits for the average cutter would not be that great considering the bigger investment in equipment and time to learn, lack of flexibility etc.
The square ground chain as received off the shelf is not a lot faster than what a WELL round filed can do. I have only had my hands on new Oregon square and thought it had a very rough edge; I don't know how other brands stack up this way.
Using some square filed chain is a great experience. Examine the chips closely and compare to round filed. File a few chains and it will sharpen your focus on a lot of the principles involved, no matter what style.

Frank

Back