"A Boy and His Dog" - A lesson for all of us

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idahonative

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You know what bothers me about online forums? Anonymously hiding behind a keyboard sometimes brings out the worst in a person, myself included. Knowing that you can insult, embarrass, and harass with impunity encourages people to say things they probably wouldn't say in person. I think every forum has people on it that think its fun to be a jackass to others. It somehow helps to fulfill something missing inside of them.

Sometimes I think we need to be reminded of what is important in life and that will be different depending on the person. I enjoy simple things like spending time with family, cutting firewood, camping, fishing, hunting, going for hikes and just enjoying the many outdoor activities Idaho has to offer. Not everyone is that lucky.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for kids and dogs. Those who know me will probably also say that I am not very understanding of others, that I'm hardened, that I don't have much patience for "stupid" people. They aren't far off the mark.

I watched something on you tube today and it made me feel guilty for all the simple, wonderful things that I take for granted...like having the physical ability to cut firewood. My life would be less enjoyable without it. Watch the story of this amazing little guy and his dog. I'm not ashamed to admit I had one hell of a lump in my throat and some teary eyes. All of us could learn a thing or two from this kid and what's important in life. At 9 years old, he has more maturity than 90% of adults.

You know what bothers me about online forums? Anonymously hiding behind a keyboard sometimes brings out the worst in a person, myself included. Knowing that you can insult, embarrass, and harass with impunity encourages people to say things they probably wouldn't say in person. I think every forum has people on it that think its fun to be a jackass to others. It somehow helps to fulfill something missing inside of them.

Sometimes I think we need to be reminded of what is important in life and that will be different depending on the person. I enjoy simple things like spending time with family, cutting firewood, camping, fishing, hunting, going for hikes and just enjoying the many outdoor activities Idaho has to offer. Not everyone is that lucky.

Anyone who knows me knows I have a soft spot for kids and dogs. Those who know me will probably also say that I am not very understanding of others, that I'm hardened, that I don't have much patience for "stupid" people. They aren't far off the mark.

I watched something on you tube today and it made me feel guilty for all the simple, wonderful things that I take for granite...like having the physical ability to cut firewood. My life would be less enjoyable without it. Watch the story of this amazing little guy and his dog. I'm not ashamed to admit I had one hell of a lump in my throat and some teary eyes. All of us could learn a thing or two from this kid and what's important in life. At 9 years old, he has more maturity than 90% of adults.

Boom! That's how I roll!

Awesome video!! Being a Dad of 2 young kids(3 and 5) to see kids with disabilities or illnesses tugs on my heart strings. I can't watch the St. Jude stuff, seeing those kids with cancer and all they go through and never complain just makes me tear up every time.

I don't even like to see my kids get shots:laugh:

Awesome video!! Being a Dad of 2 young kids(3 and 5) to see kids with disabilities or illnesses tugs on my heart strings. I can't watch the St. Jude stuff, seeing those kids with cancer and all they go through and never complain just makes me tear up every time.

I don't even like to see my kids get shots:laugh:

I hear ya. I never watch that stuff on TV when they have the sick kids. Just can't stand to watch it and I always wonder if the kids are being used to raise money. The attitude and maturity of Owen and the story of Haatchi is nothing short of amazing to me. Very inspiring. Should make a lot of us realize we have NOTHING to complain about!

Back