A Brief History of Canes and Walking Sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://rauantiques.com/blogs/canva...s/collecting-antique-walking-sticks-and-canes
I found two old canes in the barn and wanted to sand them and rejuvenate them. The finish on both are nearly gone.
The first one I started sanding at the bottom and when I got to the tip of the handle I realized it was some kind of metal, I thought it was just painted black, since the bottom tip is painted red... maybe had a silver ferrule?
Brought it in and hit it with silver polish; it says "sterling" on the back!
The shaft part of it isn't completely round, it has a raised "spine" along the center top and below.
Couldn't find one just like it in a search, but some similar seem to be worth $200 and up. I know, I've ruined the original patina, but oh well.

Anyone recognize the design on the silver cap? Looks like it might have been monogrammed, but can't make it out.
DSC05193.JPG
DSC05196.JPG
DSC05197.JPG
DSC05198.JPG

Well, it only took a year to get one done... :p

Nothing fancy, but better than going on the brush pile.
After sanding several times, I applied the bee's wax I use for my encaustic painting then slowly cooked it into the wood with a heat gun.
I like it. :yes:
Maybe the other one will get done before next year. :laughing:

It looks like oak to me, what say you?

DSC06327.JPGDSC06328.JPG

Ta-da!
:dancing:
Same technique, different wood.
I'm guessing cherry?
I love how this one still has the original patina on the top of the handle from use even after I sanded it.

3.jpgDSC06330 - Copy.JPG

Back