A couple of county fairs in New England

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARTSWOODCHUCK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sunday August 7 @ 10:00am is the Cheshire Fair woodsman Competition:
Axe throw
Two Man Crosscut(Antique Style Saws)
Log Roll(Across the Gound with Cant hooks)
Wood Splitting
Stock saw Competition(Usually Split at 75cc)

No money at this one but it is a lot of fun.
Home Page

Saturday August 20 @ 11:00am Deerfield Valley Farmers Day Fair:
75cc and under stock saw
76cc-90cc stock saw
Open class
2 man Crosscut (Antique Style)
1 man Crosscut (Antique Style)
Wood Splitting

Possibly Axe Throwing and Pole Felling.

You can win some $ at this one. Again, lots of fun.
They Give away a Husqvarna chainsaw at the end, last year it was w 357xp.
www.dvfair.com

Hope to see some people there!

These sound like a lot of fun. Can you put a reminder up next spring when they announce dates? I would travel for the antique saw events, have my son do the mower pull, and bring a horse for my daughter to show. Thanks. What is the wood splitting event?

Sorry for the very belated reply, that being said it would be great to see a fellow
AS member. Although they are kind of small for such a long trip. Best to do some
planning so you can see more of the area and not just a couple hours of our humble
county fairs.

I will post when the dates are closer, generally the Cheshire Fair is the first weekend
in August. The Deerfield Valley Farmers Day is the third week, and the Guilford Fair is Labor Day.

I think You would most enjoy the Cheshire Fair because the atmosphere is very relaxed. This is due to there not being any prize money, just ribbons, trophies and a year of bragging rights! You are even welcome to come out of the crowd to try your hand at the events. Crowd participation is encouraged and very gratifying to teach someone I enjoy.

As for the wood splitting, it is a showing of mashing brute strength with brains. You start out with 1 or 2 blocks of wood ( hard or soft wood depending on the venue) and a splitting maul.
All you do is beat the hell out of them until the split pieces fit through a 4"-6" hole.

It is all a very good time, hope to see some people this summer

Thanks. Sounds like a lot of fun. We travel around Vermont and New York for lots of different things, so this would be a good excuse to see Southeastern VT. I appreciate the help. Happy New Year. Joe Pete

Latest posts

Back