A Drolet Tundra an white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut a bunch of white oak about 10 years ago . I got into the pile this year burn times over 12 hours . I use to load the Drolet 3 times a day . Down to 2 filling a day . 22 f out side 75 inside just burning smoke . I got the tundra in good shape this year but was still asking how was the the burn time so good ? I think white oak well season

Could be. Over seasoned or super dry stuff, like the stuff that gets dried in a kiln and is at 10% moisture or less burns really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to hear the woods to dry . I never seen anyone add water to there gasoline because it was to dry . Just getting really long burn times . Any time heat has to over come moisture it becomes a battle

I use to hear the woods to dry . I never seen anyone add water to there gasoline because it was to dry . Just getting really long burn times . Any time heat has to over come moisture it becomes a battle

Something to consider if you know ahead of time that dense woods like white oak are going to be 'super seasoned' is to make the splits larger. This eliminates or greatly reduces the tendency of 'super seasoned' firewood to want to burn faster than desired.

I burn mostly trash woods like pine, poplar, china berry, paulownia, etc. because I sell the more desirable woods who demand only the best to burn in their ornamental fireplaces. A few years ago I had white oak left over at the end of the firewood season so now I'm into about two cords of 'super seasoned' white oak. It's great stuff! I could have made the splits a little larger though had I known it would be seasoning for three full years.

I cut a bunch of white oak about 10 years ago . I got into the pile this year burn times over 12 hours . I use to load the Drolet 3 times a day . Down to 2 filling a day . 22 f out side 75 inside just burning smoke . I got the tundra in good shape this year but was still asking how was the the burn time so good ? I think white oak well season
White Oak is one of the kings of heating woods.
It's revered around here for all the reasons you said, long burn times etc.
I just burned some well seasoned Northern Red Oak(4 years) last two nights and saw a noticeable difference from the mostly Ash that I'd been burning this year.
Only had to fill up twice for the whole day.

That's where you microwave each piece for five minutes before putting it in the stove. :)
Hmm. I assumed it has something to do with spices. :confused:

On topic.. I am currently using/burning 4 year seasoned Red Oak. I'm glad I left a number of big splits. (about 25% of the cord worth).
Come to think of it, I usually leave at least 25% big splits, no matter the species, as I average about 3 years seasoning of firewood before burning it.

I still have a few chunks of Honey Locust. Going on 10 years now.

Back