A Felling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a great man once said ,you know where those straps belong .....
chokers are made of cable steel sir
View attachment 433187
Ya, but metal is sooooo heavy:(

I just figured out that westie meant "way too rich" not "way too lean". That morning I had richened the L to start easier and forgot to compensate with the H. Fixed it later that afternoon. That saw revs higher than I think a old 288 was meant to when tuned feisty, and I always remember that Clinton's ported 288 grenaded on him, so I keep it a bit rich

That heavy farmers jack will go nicely with the giant nail we are supposed to carry around to drive in the wedges with. Would the giant nail fit in the handle of the jack to give it more leverage? :laughing:
If my wife would carry that jack for me, I'd use it too. Jack over one shoulder, ice spud (jack handle) over the other

we all know that isn't you. that guy managed to start that saw :p i'd run it a bit leaner even but that is exceptable for a 288 for sure. probably just that stupid POS throttle lever design not letting it go to full bore. my peve of the 288.
It is annoy when they dont open all the way up. I have found that if you slide a piece of automotive fuel line over the knob at the end of the throttle shaft that remedies the problem. You might have already know that though Shane.

It is annoy when they dont open all the way up. I have found that if you slide a piece of automotive fuel line over the knob at the end of the throttle shaft that remedies the problem. You might have already know that though Shane.

the only thing is when you do that the saw revs up whenever you rest the bar tip on something. the mounts flex and push the throttle lever on carb. it's a POS setup. no excuses or fixes can be made for it LOL HUSKY ****ED UP! if they would have just stayed with the 181 styles setup. heck i could make do with that on all new saws even. the wire you could bend any which way you wanted for best workability.

the only thing is when you do that the saw revs up whenever you rest the bar tip on something. the mounts flex and push the throttle lever on carb. it's a POS setup. no excuses or fixes can be made for it LOL HUSKY ****ED UP! if they would have just stayed with the 181 styles setup. heck i could make do with that on all new saws even. the wire you could bend any which way you wanted for best workability.
Good point. I guess I haven't really noticed the plate being cracked open when the bar tip is resting on a log, I have only did this to a few 288's though.

Good point. I guess I haven't really noticed the plate being cracked open when the bar tip is resting on a log, I have only did this to a few 288's though.

i have received many 288's where someone tried the fuel hose trick and everyone revs up when the bar nose is rested on wood. i hate it. i'm done with the 2 series though so it's not a problem anymore. LOL a 288 can be improved but you gotta use a real thin piece of line over the throttle roller.

I agree... they are getting a little long in the tooth.

i got a 266xp under the bench right now. it's my BIL's. i sold it to him about 1o years ago before i was even with the wife. it finally took a dump with very minor scoring on the exhaust side. not bad considering his only income is firewood cutting with that one saw! not to mention his saws get neglected to hell, never get air filter cleanings or anything. i'll go over it, clean up top end, and send it back for another 10 year run. LOL

Back