A Few Splitting Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
95% of my timber I buy from private woodlot owners mostly farmers. A small percentage I would buy from the government as in the timber sale below.
The volume translated to 3 thousand feet of saw timber and approx.40 cords of firewood. Here in the Great Lakes Region we cut mostly Maple, with a bit of Cherry, Oak, Ash, Beech, Hickory and some Birch thrown in.
I found that the Stihl 066 was the best saw to use with a 16" bar, however if the wood was smaller an 044 was the best. At that time it was my finding that Husky couldn't stand the constant use that a Stihl can cutting firewood.
In this particular sale 15 years ago, I had no competion in this type of purchase as the parcel was too small for a larger comercial concern but it suited me well and was about one months work. As can be seen I bought wood at that time for 10$/full cord, so the profit margin was good.
John

Ultimate Splitter

Can you say "SEMTEX" ???:clap:
That's what we dreaded homeowners use for elm here.

Splitting

bigair said:
I like to use a tire or two stacked on top of each other. Then place log in the center. It keeps the log upright and speeds up splitting by hand.

Good tip Bigair,

I sort of use that same set up except it's an ATV tire (slightly taller) nailed to a low (4") splitting block. Works the trick too because it contains the round after the strike, so that I avoid chasing splits around and constantly picking up and repositioning the pieces. Also it has a sort of shock absorbing effect on the maul head.

Zee

Latest posts

Back