A forester's vs an arborist's perspective.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mofuk

Reaction score
Hi guys.

My buddy's wife has been wanting this maple tree taken down for more than a year. Although I feel it had its place in the landscape, he finally obliged about a week ago.

He's visualized the felling for as long as his wife has wanted the tree down. When talking about the project, my immediate strategy involved the dismantling of the tree. I'm an arborist that runs his own tree care company and it's an obvious choice to choose the option that represents the least risks (collateral, in this case). He being a forester, he insisted that the tree be felled from the ground and accepted the risk of damaging either his house or his shed.

We decided on climbing about 30 feet into the tree to prune off the 2 first, lower branches. That's also where we attached a tag line that came down to the base of a birch, passed through a block (large rigging pulley), then another at the base of a small maple, then a locked figure 8 tied to my buddy's minivan. Haha. Sorry, writing minivan at the end of that sequence seemed quite funny to me!

Anyway, we spent a lot of time working on the notch and making sure everything was just right.

Here's how it went!

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back