A fruit tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pictures you provided contain this cropped image:

attachment.php

I rotated it to match the orientation above; I don't see how your tree could fail to be Jujube.

It's trickery!

Well when you put it like that... The thing that threw me was the pit, single pit with 2 stones. I didn't study the one I grabbed last time too much and thought there were more seeds. I must have broken open the pit and didn't realize the stones were inside that part.

I'll get anpother picture next week

If they have more than one pit, then they're not Jujubes.
Jujubes have a single seed tappered to a point at both ends.
These trees thrive in western Washington. Unfortunately they need a few more weeks of hot summer to ripe.
I'm dying to see somebody come up with a rootstock suitable for my area so I can grow a few dozen trees.
My mom's best friend from California send us several batches of these every year.
The red kind are much sweeter.

Here is an interesting note on this tree ID search:

My main tree id search tool is Dendrology at Virginia Tech. Using their tools, I came up with possible trees of Carolina buckthorn and common buckthorn.

Curiously, the Jujuba is in the buckthorn family, so I came close without knowing it.

Frangula caroliniana Fact Sheet
Rhamnus cathartica Fact Sheet

Here is an interesting note on this tree ID search:

My main tree id search tool is Dendrology at Virginia Tech. Using their tools, I came up with possible trees of Carolina buckthorn and common buckthorn.

Curiously, the Jujuba is in the buckthorn family, so I came close without knowing it.

Frangula caroliniana Fact Sheet
Rhamnus cathartica Fact Sheet

Thanks for your research.
I wonder this buckthorn could make a favorable rootstock for the Jujubes?
Cascara Buckthorn: Common Trees of the Pacific Northwest

Raintree Nursery in about 45 min from me, I might get a couple of plants and graft them next year.

I'm 99% sure it's a Jujube now see pics. I'll have to grab a few when they ripen up this fall. Used to always hear that word as a kid and had no idea what it was or meant, now I know!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Back