A Good $1500 Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm.vertical machines are for women eh?

I dare you to come on over to my place and take a look at my woodpile at the end of October and call me a woman to my face.I dare say you will spend a good bit of time in the ER for your efforts.

internet-tough-guy.jpg

:agree2:

Mine rounds go 24" to 40", and I don't care if you have a log lift or not, that's vertical split territory.

Don't sweat it, avalancher. Some people judge their manhood by how much money they spend on equipment. :monkey:

What I can't lift, I quarter with my saw. I have about $500 into my horizontal splitter. I see TW-1 and TW-2 timberwolf splitters priced at $1300-$1500 on craigslist every now and then. I am only advising the guy to spend smart.
Oh, and yanking chains of the hypersensitives.

What I can't lift, I quarter with my saw. I have about $500 into my horizontal splitter. I see TW-1 and TW-2 timberwolf splitters priced at $1300-$1500 on craigslist every now and then. I am only advising the guy to spend smart.
Oh, and yanking chains of the hypersensitives.

yeah, and your signature says it all. Dont know who you are,but you smell like a troll.

yeah, and your signature says it all. Dont know who you are,but you smell like a troll.

It's a line out of the movie "Snatch", spoken by the guy in my avatar.
I am a self employed logger. I cut split and delivered over 120 full cords of firewood on the side the last 2 years too.
And you are too high strung to be using the internet without your ADHD meds.

I am a self employed logger.

um, you forgot "whoremaster"

About Oldtimer

How did you find ArboristSite.com
GOOGLE
Biography
Logger / Firewood / Whoremaster
Interests
I collect antique bottles.
Occupation
Logging / Firewood / Whoremaster
Home Country
United States

Lemme guess, thats what the wife calls you on thursday night and you just liked the sound of that, right?

Beware when comparing log splitters. Most splitters share the same components whether they are considered top of the line or bargain basement.
Nearly all splitters manufacturers use 2-stage Haldex/Barnes or MTE pumps which are quite equal in performance. Top of the line splitters will come with a Honda engine while the bargain line will come with a B & S, with Honda being an option.

Cycle times and tonnage will be the same regardless of brand when the same components are used; example ,11 gpm pump,4" bore cylinder ,and 24" stroke.

Splitter manufacturers build the frame and hydraulic reservoir but the engines and hydraulic components are common to all brands.

Top of the line splitters will have better fit and finish but an equally equipped bargain splitter will nearly always match the performance.

Beware when comparing log splitters. Most splitters share the same components whether they are considered top of the line or bargain basement.
Nearly all splitters manufacturers use 2-stage Haldex/Barnes or MTE pumps which are quite equal in performance. Top of the line splitters will come with a Honda engine while the bargain line will come with a B & S, with Honda being an option.

Cycle times and tonnage will be the same regardless of brand when the same components are used; example ,11 gpm pump,4" bore cylinder ,and 24" stroke.

Splitter manufacturers build the frame and hydraulic reservoir but the engines and hydraulic components are common to all brands.

Top of the line splitters will have better fit and finish but an equally equipped bargain splitter will nearly always match the performance.

you have a good point.The two biggest things that I have found between the top end splitters and the bargain basement models are the design and finish.
The top end splitters just feel,um, nicer for lack of a better term.more thought is given to location of controls, placement of hoses and hinge releases if you have a vertical model.The bargain models sometimes feel clunky, controls placed with little regard for long hours of use.More like they were designed by a chimp in china that had no idea what its like to spend ten hours alongside a splitter.

If I had only 900 bucks to spend again while getting my tree service business off the ground, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another TB.If I was going to be buying one today, there is little doubt that I would opt for the 37 ton model from NT.I happened to use one for the day last year, and it was a sweet machine, but with a hefty price tag to boot.

Internet tough guy, hardly. Avalancher has solid reputation on AS surpassed by very few. His advise is as good as gold as he doesn't lay out any BS and has allot of experience in firewood. You've done nothing to diffuse the situation yourself. Many folks don't want to purchase a used splitter even if it is better built because it comes with no warranty and they don't have the know how to fix it themselves.

Some comments on this thread just crack me up,lol. We have sold 371 cord of wood this year in our firewood business the precious year, between 70-100Now I understand this is not much compared to many operations, but is good sized for our area. What wood splitter did we use.....no it can't be.....but it was a Troy-Bilt 27 ton, bought on spring closeout at Lowe's for a $1000.00.
We had encountered zero problems until about a month ago, the timimg belt of the little Honda broke and dropped a valve, trashed the engine. It has a two year warranty on the engine, called Lowes, they gave us the number of a shop that was authorized to work on it, we took it in and they gave us a new motor, no charge. The coupler's between the motor and the pump were still in excellent condition. People who bash them are sadly misinformed, are the best splitter on the market, hell no, but they don't cost five grand either.
I don't understand how a splitter that has split almost 40 times the amount split by most people in a year is a piece of ****. Does it have it's short comings, sure the log cradles could be better. We added work tables on each side of ours, it helps a bunch. The cycle time might be 19 seconds for both ways full stroke, but how many cut 25" wood, we only run the ram back as far as we need too, and go forward only far enough to split the wood. The 19 second time is irrelevant for most users. Our opinion is there is a better value on the market and it will last most users a lifetime. If your just cutting for yourself and maybe a couple of friends this is all you need. It's just like some of these "pro saw" user's who only cut five or six cords a year that recommend 460, 7900's, 372's for firewood cutting lol, they haven't got a clue. Hell we have cut more firewood than over the last ten years as ten of these "pro's" will in a lifetime, we've used 038's,032, 361's and they are plenty of saw for normal firewooding, **** a 346xpne is all that's needed for most do it your selfer's. The over kill on AS just makes me roll on the floor.

ive talked with avalancher enough i pretty much take what he says to the bank. i mean people all have different opinions thats for sure. funny how a splitter thread can get into a name calling pissing match. i dont even think anyone compared stihl to husqvarna yet either lol. those stihl guys will defend stihl to no end.

We have only used a splitter vertically a couple of times, that was enough for us, it's a PITA and waste too much time and effort. We either break them down with a couple of wedges and a sledge,l noodle them with a 660 or in rare cases use logging tons and a tractor loader to sit them on top. I find we can split more wood in a day with the TB than most people would be willing to split. Sure if I had 6 to 10k to spend on a splitter ( which I do,but why?) I think the tw-5 or 6 would be a great machine. At 35.00 dollars a rick or face cord just how much damn wood is necessecary to pay for the machine, a **** load.

everone complains about the troybilt but in the real world around here they are very popular
i know 5 people that have them and for the 3-4 cords they burn a year they are perfect. and even though everyone bashes the gc honda they hold up quite well with proper care.
i dont own a store that sells these or do i even own one but the facts dont lie they are not the fastest or strongest but they just work. heck they should prolly put the one indiansprings has in a museum somewhere that thing has takin a licking but it keeps on ticking:clap: these are the real world facts that count.

its amazing how people judge equiptment by manufactures, because someone told them they made junk. heck i know people who would buy a turd if it was painted green and yellow. and some one wont buy a kubota because his neighbor had to replace a bolt that broke.

sorry i got off topic a little just givin my 2 cents, anyhoo the troybuilt or any of the huskees are in your price range and they are both great machines, and will suit you just fine. dont let anyone tell you you need a timberwolf or other high end splitter to keep your family warm, or just to make some extra beer money. :cheers:

Did I miss something here? The OP asked about the Troy Bilt hydraulic or the Wood Wolf Flywheel splitter. No one has given any input as to the Wood Wolf, but lots of info on the TW splitters. For anyone not familiar with it, the Wood Wolf is a copy of the Super Split mechanical splitter. I have never seen a WW, but I have looked at their videos & photo album. Looks to be a good machine , but needs work table design change. I built my own SS copy and have had a ball splitting with it. It's very fast at 1.8 to 2.2 seconds cycle time . No fluids to leak , hoses to rupture, no maintenance schedule other than keeping bearings greased & all nuts & bolts tight. For my money, the flywheel splitter is the only way to go, though I know that everyone doesn't agree with me. Pics of mine are on " Anyone Try To Build A Super Splitter " thread. Don't have any guards on the flywheels yet, but will eventually get around to it.

I am going to say only one more thing on this thread,and no it aint anymore praises for a troy bilt product.

I am apoligizing for my outburst last night. I dare say that my contribution last night did little in helping the OP with his decision on what splitter to buy.Luckily for me a number of members around here with a more level head came to the rescue and gave nothing but the facts with no azz rubbing thrown in to liven up the mood.

To all members who took the time to read this thread, please accept my apologies.To the members who chimed in with a worthwhile post, thanks for your quality input.

To the members who qualified their opinions with slanderous and unfounded comments,
Have a great day!

I am going to say only one more thing on this thread,and no it aint anymore praises for a troy bilt product.

I am apoligizing for my outburst last night. I dare say that my contribution last night did little in helping the OP with his decision on what splitter to buy.Luckily for me a number of members around here with a more level head came to the rescue and gave nothing but the facts with no azz rubbing thrown in to liven up the mood.

To all members who took the time to read this thread, please accept my apologies.To the members who chimed in with a worthwhile post, thanks for your quality input.

To the members who qualified their opinions with slanderous and unfounded comments,
Have a great day!

Don't sweat it, If Needed I could be there in about 45 min to back you up :)

Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics even if ya win your still...... Yea you get the idea

We can all complain and moan about what splitter sucks and what doesnt, but if you dont have one i wouldnt comment.

personaly i have seen a wood wolf run and i was very impressed with the speed and build quality. also the price range is in your area. Of course the down fall is no vertical split, but there are ways around that

Avalanchers cool in my book,takes a big man to apologize sometimes.
Rep coming your way
Brian

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out here. I haven't made a decision yet, but have a ton of great information to build on. I like the HV, Speeco, American, Troy Built, Huskee and the Wallenstein. Here's how I rank them as I sit with pricing not being an issue (FANTASYLAND Rankings!!):

American
Wallenstein
Speeco
HV
Huskee
Troy Built

ANy other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back