A good chainsaw for a broke down old man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberclack

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the site and, of course, I want something, advice, to be specific. I'm getting on in years and I need help choosing a good chainsaw. I know guns, cars, and trucks but when it comes to chainsaws, I'm ignorant. I had a good used Stihl until I loaned it to my brother. What he brought back was more like chainsaw parts. I bought a new Husky and was disappointed (they don't make em like that used to) I need one that's fairly easy to maintain and not necessarily light but definitely not heavy. I will be cutting fairly large trees (app. 36" diameter) and need a good size bar. I probably won't use it more than two or three times a year. I would like one that is hearty and will last. What can I expect to spend? Should I buy new or used? Any ideas? Anything I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance for your input.

The 2 or 3 times a year , makes the choice either a slightly been used pro grade saw or a mid cc class Homeowner grade saw . Husquarna 465 or 460 Rancher Series new would easily cut 36 " diameter trees all day long for around $500 . Otherwise a quality used Husky or Stihl or Dolmar available onsite via numerous ethical sellers would provide yrs of dependable service within your needs at a substantial savings. Perhaps you could give them an indication of your price point Bud ! :hi:

Best thing my dad ever did was buy his 180 cb i think it is the stihl elastostart where you barely pull the corde to start it he has alot of problems from nerve damage with keeping a good grip to pull start so he cant start my 55 rancher with decomp on but my ms170 and his ms180 are great light saws that between the 2 of us have bucked around 200 trees down in 3 years

There are some very nice Stihl's out there that will meet your needs if you are willing to spend around $600.00 each to use them 2-3 times a year.
If it were like an heirloom, a quality piece, I wouldn't mind paying for it. Do you have any model numbers in mind?

Best thing my dad ever did was buy his 180 cb i think it is the stihl elastostart where you barely pull the corde to start it he has alot of problems from nerve damage with keeping a good grip to pull start so he cant start my 55 rancher with decomp on but my ms170 and his ms180 are great light saws that between the 2 of us have bucked around 200 trees down in 3 years
Is the 180 good for, what I consider, large trees? (App. 3 feet in diameter) or is it primarily for limbing? Thanks for your input.

180 is to small for 36in trees.
One of the best,easiest to start saws i had was a new Makita 6401 (same as Dolmar 6400,different color and lable. Done very well with 24 or 28in bars. I had an 044 Stihl that started well also, wouldn't expect all the used ones out there start that good. I havent run much of the newest models to say.

The 2 or 3 times a year , makes the choice either a slightly been used pro grade saw or a mid cc class Homeowner grade saw . Husquarna 465 or 460 Rancher Series new would easily cut 36 " diameter trees all day long for around $500 . Otherwise a quality used Husky or Stihl or Dolmar available onsite via numerous ethical sellers would provide yrs of dependable service within your needs at a substantial savings. Perhaps you could give them an indication of your price point Bud ! :hi:
[/QUOT
180 is to small for 36in trees.
One of the best,easiest to start saws i had was a new Makita 6401 (same as Dolmar 6400,different color and lable. Done very well with 24 or 28in bars. I had
"Perhaps you could give them an indication of your price point Bud ! :hi:" In regard to price point, I won't say: "money is no object" but I don't mind paying for quality. I don't remember what I gave for the Husky but it was too much for what I got. Never again.

044 Stihl that started well also, wouldn't expect all the used ones out there start that good. I havent run much of the newest models to say.

As uni mentioned , for the little you cut , a few big trees a yr . An Echo would be the best saw for the buck , now that I think of $$ . A 590 would be a good choice .20 " bar is the smallest bar to safely and effectively cut 36 diameter trees . Optimally 24" & 28 " are preferred on 60+cc class saws . As to used they start just as well as new , hell I have 55 yr old saws that start on the 2nd pull . :dancing:

Is the 180 good for, what I consider, large trees? (App. 3 feet in diameter) or is it primarily for limbing? Thanks for your input.
limbing , small bucking & felling applications. 30 cc. Class saws actually better for soft wood cutting , or arborist type limbing of hardwoods NOT 36" hardwoods lol.:crazy2:

I bought three Husky 460 Ranger and have been very impressed on their perfromance. Thanks
I'm starting to think that Husky (like everyone else) has a cheap or "homeowner" line of their product. I had a bad experience with a new Husky (it wasn't cheap) and that's a black mark against them that I won't forget. When I start using a machine right out of the box and parts start falling off (that I have to repair/replace) it's a tad depressing:confused:. Maybe I will give them another chance. The reason I went with Husky was that the best saw I ever used, belonged to a guy a worked with selling firewood. The basement flooded and all you could see was the top of the saw., took it apart, dumped the water out of the carb, and it fired right up (very impressive) all we had to do was keep it sharp and keep fluids in it. We would have loads of red oak trees brought in and dumped than we cut them to length prior to splitting them with a splitter that we rigged with a 220V electric motor (no noise/fumes). We moved tons of firewood every winter. I was a much younger man. That saw never let us down.

limbing , small bucking & felling applications. 30 cc. Class saws actually better for soft wood cutting , or arborist type limbing of hardwoods NOT 36" hardwoods lol.:crazy2:
As stated, when it comes to saws, I'm ignorant. That's why I'm here. My Father-in-law has diabetic neuropathy and I believe that would be a good saw for him.

I have been using my 460's for more than ten years with out any major issues. They are not perfet nor am I, but they have been good performers and reasonably priced. I use mine professionally so they gets pretty heavy use. Stihl and others are good, but Husky is more available on line which is a big plus. Thanks

The parameters you've laid out kind of contradict themselves. 36" wood, occasional use, but lightweight. Hopefully your idea of lightweight is different than mine. The minimum I'd want to be bucking 36" hardwood with would be a 70cc. Anything less and you're going to be spending a lot of time in the cut and sharpening chains on shorter bars.

I have been using my 460's for more than ten years with out any major issues. They are not perfet nor am I, but they have been good performers and reasonably priced. I use mine professionally so they gets pretty heavy use. Stihl and others are good, but Husky is more available on line which is a big plus. Thanks
Yep @ 60 + cc they have good midrange torgue , that will pull a 24" bar effortlessly with 3 way oiler adjustment. , fuel primer / purgebulb & decompression switch for easy starting . The reliability of the old 55 & 455 with even better overall performance & a/vibe system . :guitar:

Back