A good chainsaw for a broke down old man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No actually all the time Brett with the 260 Pro . If I remember correctly all the 1st generation 260 & 360 Stihls were really lean jetted from the factory . I do not have a saw that does not start on the 2nd or 3rd pull. These 2010- 2011 all required 5-8 pulls to start :mad:. Once I re-jetted and modified the muffler and retuned they ran & started 2-3 pulls max . Like I said previously hate when manufacturers begin engineering changes mid model yrs . I bought the 576 xp without the auto tune for that very reason. Actually out runs my neighbours xp with auto tune and I sharpen both saws routinely . I was about to muffler mod and do some port polishing last yr , however think I will wait and see what you find for me as a replacement . Hope what you brought home didn' t start with a 3 and end with a 7 in its designation !:crazy2:
That's a bummer. I just got a 192 rear handle that was as fat as it would go and it was bumping 13.6-13.8. I did a timing advance, muffler mod, and ground off the limiter and now it's a little lower than that and sounds good, I'll lean it out a little more after I run a couple tanks thru it.
You can open the 576 up under the deflector with a Dremel pretty easily and then retune it.
That's what it was, perty saw too.

That's a bummer. I just got a 192 rear handle that was as fat as it would go and it was bumping 13.6-13.8. I did a timing advance, muffler mod, and ground off the limiter and now it's a little lower than that and sounds good, I'll lean it out a little more after I run a couple tanks thru it.
You can open the 576 up under the deflector with a Dremel pretty easily and then retune it.
Yeah the dremel is what I have always used , nice an clean . Actually have a commercial grade unit for porting and polishing , that does very nice detailed work . Used it routinely cleaning up ports or decarbonizing heads during teardowns , back in my days racing snowmobiles and dirt bikes ! :rock:

Oh hah , now I see what you meant , 576 xp . I , am getting old !

I guess this is better late than never. I hope all involved in this thread see this. It is a reply to the fellow I bought the saw of choice from. I appreciate all the input from you folks. It was very informative and I hope I can call on you later if the need arises. chipper1 referred me to this guy (as I recall) and this is what I sent as closure for this thread:

Well, I think you're the guy I got the Jred 2166 from. I recall a video on youtoob. I had a series of life-threatening illnesses shortly after that purchase (one near death) and I'm just now making it back to some semblance of normal. I just wanted to check in and let you know that the Jred is one bad-ass mo-fo. I love it. I also bought a Stihl MS180 that I gave to my wife. There were two occasions where there was a no-start condition which was a bummer, but once I got it figured out, damn. It was off to the races! It is prone to flooding so as long as you choke it, Pull it one time ONLY, take the choke off, and pull it, it will fire right up. And it idles great. The rattlesnakes on Aetna come pouring out of the rock bluff when I leave it on the ground (so you know where the bastards are). So, thanks for the square deal. I absolutely love it.
Best regards

I guess this is better late than never. I hope all involved in this thread see this. It is a reply to the fellow I bought the saw of choice from. I appreciate all the input from you folks. It was very informative and I hope I can call on you later if the need arises. chipper1 referred me to this guy (as I recall) and this is what I sent as closure for this thread:

Well, I think you're the guy I got the Jred 2166 from. I recall a video on youtoob. I had a series of life-threatening illnesses shortly after that purchase (one near death) and I'm just now making it back to some semblance of normal. I just wanted to check in and let you know that the Jred is one bad-ass mo-fo. I love it. I also bought a Stihl MS180 that I gave to my wife. There were two occasions where there was a no-start condition which was a bummer, but once I got it figured out, damn. It was off to the races! It is prone to flooding so as long as you choke it, Pull it one time ONLY, take the choke off, and pull it, it will fire right up. And it idles great. The rattlesnakes on Aetna come pouring out of the rock bluff when I leave it on the ground (so you know where the bastards are). So, thanks for the square deal. I absolutely love it.
Best regards
Howdy, been a while.
So you had some health issues too? or was that him saying that.
Anyway, hope you and the saw are well :).

Howdy, been a while.
So you had some health issues too? or was that him saying that.
Anyway, hope you and the saw are well :).
No, that was me. I'm doing fair and the saw is doing real good.
Happy Chainsaw Massacre GIF by Arrow Video

Just sayin, ---- dont mess around with toys IF ya got that big of trees. Rent a big saw for a couple of trees OR dont mess with them to begin with! Baby saws in big trees = somebody getting hurt or killed!

Just sayin, ---- dont mess around with toys IF ya got that big of trees. Rent a big saw for a couple of trees OR dont mess with them to begin with! Baby saws in big trees = somebody getting hurt or killed!
I've taken down many trees with a small saw when you're aready onsite. If you showup outgunned it just takes longer. The game doesn't change.

Back