A good chainsaw for a broke down old man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to go out in a limb and say a Stihl MS462 with a 25 inch Stihl lightweight bar. Pound for pound that’s a hard saw to beat.
Good saw for an arborist, but to cut a few times a yr why would you want to spend over a grand on a saw/bar/chain unless you were saving a bunch off having an arborist do the work or your on a forum and have to have the newest coolest things :p.
Also when "going out on a limb" I recommend using a top handled saw ;).
:dancing::ices_rofl:
:ices_rofl: I think your busted Brett ! :drinkingcoffee:
No way!
I can always remove the video :cool:.
Why do you think I was talking about you? :innocent:
I didn't, I just wanted to be clear :laugh:.

I do not think he said anything about climbing, or did I miss something. :buttkick::happy:
Right, I guess if the tree has been felled then he could go out on the limb with a rear handled saw:cheers:.
I gotta get my butt outside and do some cutting, new saws to to try out, hope you guys get this all figured out before I get back:chainsaw:.

I would not be concerned either. Husqvarna 372XT parts are available for that saw should anything go wrong. Great long lasting saw to start with. For perspective I am 66 years old and for cutting 36" trees I would want a 2 saw plan. 50cc saw for limbs and 18" and under. 70cc saw with 24" for those 18-36" trees, keep sharp chains and let saw do the work. But in the end buy brand and size you believe will suit you best. Be safe and wear PPE, unlike guys that cut in pajama pants and flip-flops.
I agree 100% in a 2 saw operation . As a 66 yr old myself I have really benefited from having a light saw for small brushing or limbing sessions over my primary felling & bucking saw . I still have a 24" & 28 " bars for by 576 xp , however normally have it set up with a 20" Oregon bar for most of my 12" - 24" hardwood cutting . Even my 50 cc class saws are normally running 16" to 18" bars , which efficiently allows me to fell & buck / limb the same above mentioned size of tree most often . I only use a 70 cc when absolutely req'd , your 36 " would be a prime example . I could cut that size with my 346 xp or 5105-H with my years of cutting experience , but why ? As previously mentioned much quicker and easier on chains with the bigger saw. If finances allows only a one saw operation for your annual big tree cutting then you will have to decide either on a Echo 590 or Husky 460 or Stihl 460 etc . However for what this Jonsered offers for $500 to me its a great choice to consider !:cheers:

Good saw for an arborist, but to cut a few times a yr why would you want to spend over a grand on a saw/bar/chain unless you were saving a bunch off having an arborist do the work or your on a forum and have to have the newest coolest things :p.
Also when "going out on a limb" I recommend using a top handled saw ;).

No way!
I can always remove the video :cool:.

I didn't, I just wanted to be clear :laugh:.
You know I,am just yanking your chain Brett ! ;)

You are correct about both of these saws. That's why I bought them. I sold a MS260 to buy the MS261 CM. I am not a MS260 fan.
Yeah , the 260 era Stihl was lean jetted from the factory , starting was an issue until I re- jetted it . It then out cut my buddies 261 . Have not ran a new CM unit . Have run a lot of auto tune Huskys . :cool:

You know I,am just yanking your chain Brett ! ;)
Oh I know, I'm pretty thick skinned anyway, got to be if you're gonna throw it out there right :).
Yeah , the 260 era Stihl was lean jetted from the factory , starting was an issue until I re- jetted it . It then out cut my buddies 261 . Have not ran a new CM unit . Have run a lot of auto tune Huskys . :cool:
Something wrong with your buddies 261 or his sharpening skills ;). The latest 261 spanks the earlier 261 too...
The only 260/026 I've ever been impressed with was one that was ported, pulled a 20x3/8 like a good running 60cc saw:chainsaw:.

He,s cutting 36" hardwood Bro ! :(
Well they wanted to know what saw was good for a broken down old man and i gave the best answer,a bigger saw really aint good for him! You cant have it both ways, I realize what you said and am trying to give the best advice! 36 in stuff he needs 70 cc's and that dont fit the request!

Well they wanted to know what saw was good for a broken down old man and i gave the best answer,a bigger saw really aint good for him! You cant have it both ways, I realize what you said and am trying to give the best advice! 36 in stuff he needs 70 cc's and that dont fit the request!
Yeah your right , no simple solution , the potential for aggravating a older persons physical limitations are great when your cutting 36 " trees either way . The o.p. will have to choose his poison ! ;)

Yep, everyone wants to do more with less, I think this causes unsafe practices/injuries because they aren't using the proper tools for the job and don't have the skills needed to do it with smaller Equipment. Someone who knows what they are doing can get by with much less than the average Joe, but that's not what I recommend they try, especially when working with storm damage.
I still haven't heard how broke down he is, shoulder issues, back issues, if he can't start a saw but can lift it no problem then a 6100 with easy start would be the biggest I'd recommend.
All that being said he's only got a few yrs on me so unless there are real health concerns I see no reason he couldn't start and run a 70cc saw.
Yeah your right , no simple solution , the potential for aggravating a older persons physical limitations are great when your cutting 36 " trees either way . The o.p. will have to choose his poison ! ;)
Yep.

Yep, everyone wants to do more with less, I think this causes unsafe practices/injuries because they aren't using the proper tools for the job and don't have the skills needed to do it with smaller Equipment. Someone who knows what they are doing can get by with much less than the average Joe, but that's not what I recommend they try, especially when working with storm damage.
I still haven't heard how broke down he is, shoulder issues, back issues, if he can't start a saw but can lift it no problem then a 6100 with easy start would be the biggest I'd recommend.
All that being said he's only got a few yrs on me so unless there are real health concerns I see no reason he couldn't start and run a 70cc saw.

Yep.
That 6100 would be as big as he would want!

That 6100 would be as big as he would want!
The 6100's don't feel much heavier in hand than most 70cc saws, which is why I've never owned one, but that easy start option would be great for someone who needs it. I'm not opposed to getting one myself, but until I can't pull a ported 70 I'm good with those, and the ported 79cc saws I'm still good with, but things change fast so I'm ready to suck it up if needed :rare2:.

There are a lot of the jreds in the market as many were produced. Many of the major components are the same as the 2172/365/372 Xtorque saws and some of components from the earlier 365/372 and the 2165/2172 will fit, mainly all the parts that I would consider consumables.
I think they are still producing and selling the same saws under the Redmax label, even though they are not currently producing the pro model jreds.
If sourcing parts is a major concern then the 365/372 would be a better bet as their are more of them and even plenty of new ones in dealerships all over the country as well as lots of parts on the shelves. To me it's not as big of a concern as being a member on these forums has it's privileges:happy:.
Cool. That's what I needed to know. I'm going to message the guy and pull the trigger on it. Thanks Chipper-Bob

I would not be concerned either. Husqvarna 372XT parts are available for that saw should anything go wrong. Great long lasting saw to start with. For perspective I am 66 years old and for cutting 36" trees I would want a 2 saw plan. 50cc saw for limbs and 18" and under. 70cc saw with 24" for those 18-36" trees, keep sharp chains and let saw do the work. But in the end buy brand and size you believe will suit you best. Be safe and wear PPE, unlike guys that cut in pajama pants and flip-flops.
Flip flops? We don't need no stinking flip-flops!
flops.jpg

Back