A good chainsaw for a broke down old man?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aint no way a heavier saw is better and especially if they have to ask.
Not disagreeing with weight . That is why I originally recommended mid class 60 cc saws 12 lb weight as opposed to 70 cc class eg : 576 xp. 15 lb weight or Mikita 6100 @ 20 lb weight . Actually he never stated any restrictions physically , other than he required a hearty saw with a long bar lol. P.S. I think a 2166 r who be a no brainer @ $500 . Lets hope it works out for them both !:dancing:

Something
Actually never ran his 261 , he borrowed mine and came back and stated his was a dog in comparison . However i muffler mod it when I re-jetted the 260 lol. ;)
P.S. In hind sight my 260 was early yr 260 Pro. it had the adjustible oiler & decomp button also had low porting numbers , more torgue less rpm than the base 260. 2.6 hp vs 2.8 hp . No comparison though to the new 3.1 hp CM designation .

Yep, everyone wants to do more with less, I think this causes unsafe practices/injuries because they aren't using the proper tools for the job and don't have the skills needed to do it with smaller Equipment. Someone who knows what they are doing can get by with much less than the average Joe, but that's not what I recommend they try, especially when working with storm damage.
I still haven't heard how broke down he is, shoulder issues, back issues, if he can't start a saw but can lift it no problem then a 6100 with easy start would be the biggest I'd recommend.
All that being said he's only got a few yrs on me so unless there are real health concerns I see no reason he couldn't start and run a 70cc saw.

Yep.
A Mikita 6100 would be a great performance saw for him , lots of quality perks at a bargain price point , just a little heavier weight , that will never be felt in the cut . However the Pristine condition of RC, s 2166 r would sway me @ $150 savings lol. :dancing:

Sounds good, if you can pull it over and haul it around :surprised3:.

That's a pretty cool video, amazing how straight those boards come out and the way they run those 090's :rock:.
Turns out, the guy lives in NC about 60 miles from the Atlantic.
Sounds good, if you can pull it over and haul it around :surprised3:.

That's a pretty cool video, amazing how straight those boards come out and the way they run those 090's :rock:.
How do you feel about a brand new Husky 455 for 430 bucks?

Turns out, the guy lives in NC about 60 miles from the Atlantic.

How do you feel about a brand new Husky 455 for 430 bucks?
As I said previously , stout 55 cc saw for firewood . 460 has better features and torgue same weight. & price more or less ($70). Old school clamshell vs New School Clamshell (decompression button & adjustible oiler) . If you not jumping on the 2166 r then the 6100 would be my 2nd choice .;)

Nothing wrong with a 455 but over 16" wood the 2166 is going to show the difference between a $450 hobby saw and $1000 worksaw. In time and frustration saved.

The one mentioned is barely broke in. Even if it looked beat to death its a better saw for those large trunks mentioned. My 2065's are late 90's and still going strong.

Yeah , the 260 era Stihl was lean jetted from the factory , starting was an issue until I re- jetted it . It then out cut my buddies 261 . Have not ran a new CM unit . Have run a lot of auto tune Huskys . :cool:
Your buddies 261 evidently needed rejetting also. My MS261CM is a much better saw than the 260 I got rid of.

2172 for 500 sounds good if its as Purdy as the 2166.
What Duce was saying is that the 2166 that RCcole is selling has the transfers ground so it's for the most part a 2172.
Just for reference I paid 730+tax+40 towards shipping (cost 47 fed ex) for that NIB 372xpg. Maybe I got swindled... It's not red and the handles got a queer angle.
I have another 2166 here I can grind the transfers on, I'll trade it for that goofy angled handle husky 372, heck I'll even pay the shipping:cheers:.

What Duce was saying is that the 2166 that RCcole is selling has the transfers ground so it's for the most part a 2172.
Gotcha. Sometimes I read very linear.
I have another 2166 here I can grind the transfers on, I'll trade it for that goofy angled handle husky 372, heck I'll even pay the shipping:cheers:.
Good of you to offer. I did look into Red Max a little but the only ones I saw were on EBay for well over 1k+shipping. Just seemed a little much for 1 generation step back. Does come with a 24" bar FWIW.

Your buddies 261 evidently needed rejetting also. My MS261CM is a much better saw than the 260 I got rid of.
Well the 260 Pro I had did what it was req'd to do , which was limbing for almost 5 yrs . The MS-361 did most of the felling and bucking. I skipped over the MS-360. model , which again was a leaning running unit . The MS-660 I purchased was the only Stihl I had that did not require re- jetting , it started and ran fine from the get go. I did however Muffler mod all my Stihls eventually . The local Stihl Dealer went to Husquarna & Echo , so eventually I sold off all the Stihl, s . Not really sold on the new computerized saws at least until they get all the bugs out . My Buddy sold his 261 after 2-3 yrs and purchased 2 Echos CS-400 & CS-600. No problems over almost 8 yrs . A other friend of mine has a Stihl CM had it reflashed within a mth of purchase , has been fine since . ;) I have one more saw to collect , since I just sold my 543 xp which my daughter primarily used . Leaning toward either another Husky or J-Red or even another Dolkita ..Time will tell ! lol. :drinkingcoffee:

Well the 260 Pro I had did what it was req'd to do , which was limbing for almost 5 yrs . The MS-361 did most of the felling and bucking. I skipped over the MS-360. model , which again was a leaning running unit . The MS-660 I purchased was the only Stihl I had that did not require re- jetting , it started and ran fine from the get go. I did however Muffler mod all my Stihls eventually . The local Stihl Dealer went to Husquarna & Echo , so eventually I sold off all the Stihl, s . Not really sold on the new computerized saws at least until they get all the bugs out . My Buddy sold his 261 after 2-3 yrs and purchased 2 Echos CS-400 & CS-600. No problems over almost 8 yrs . A other friend of mine has a Stihl CM had it reflashed within a mth of purchase , has been fine since . ;) I have one more saw to collect , since I just sold my 543 xp which my daughter primarily used . Leaning toward either another Husky or J-Red or even another Dolkita ..Time will tell ! lol. :drinkingcoffee:
Are these stihls having problems primarily in the winters up there, or all yr around.
You should see what just came home with me ;).
Unfortunately for you another member contacted me and asked me to grab it up for him, so it will be residing at his home soon enough.

Are these stihls having problems primarily in the winters up there, or all yr around.
You should see what just came home with me ;).
Unfortunately for you another member contacted me and asked me to grab it up for him, so it will be residing at his home soon enough.
No actually all the time Brett with the 260 Pro . If I remember correctly all the 1st generation 260 & 360 Stihls were really lean jetted from the factory . I do not have a saw that does not start on the 2nd or 3rd pull. These 2010- 2011 all required 5-8 pulls to start :mad:. Once I re-jetted and modified the muffler and retuned they ran & started 2-3 pulls max . Like I said previously hate when manufacturers begin engineering changes mid model yrs . I bought the 576 xp without the auto tune for that very reason. Actually out runs my neighbours xp with auto tune and I sharpen both saws routinely . I was about to muffler mod and do some port polishing last yr , however think I will wait and see what you find for me as a replacement . Hope what you brought home didn' t start with a 3 and end with a 7 in its designation !:crazy2:

Back