A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like its a no-go on the Powerhorse saw. The seller didn't actually have one and apparently they are backordered. They offered me a refund ora 45cc homelite that was "a much more powerful saw." I went for the refund. I was willing to take a chance that the Powerhorse saw wasnt a piece of ####. I don't think I'll do the same on a Homelite.

Well I just bought one of the 45cc Powerhorse saws on Ebay. I got the one with the cracked handle. Said it doesn't affect the performance of the saw. I'll bet its cracked more than they know, but my buddy is teaching the tig welding night class at my unions school, so hopefully theres a bored student there who's done with all his welding coupons and needs something to weld. I'm in it for $101. Says its new never used. I'm curious to see whats under the plastic on one of these. It looks like the older Red Max saws, but I don't remember if they had a 45cc or not. I couldn't find a picture of one on the web. I'll post when I get my hands on it.

Well I got the Powerhorse in today. The inintial look over hasn't impressed me. Its definately not Zenoah. I never saw a Red Max 4500, so I don't know if its a direct copy or not. The tag says Yonghang Zhongian Tools Manufacture. It came with an Oregon Double guard 18 inch bar and Oregon 20LPX chain. Also a nice case. Other than that, this thing is typical Chicom quality. Its got a mag case, but the castings seem pourous. The edges of the castings are rough and just have that unfinished feal to them. The plastic pieces don't fit well and seam to be made out of junky plastic. Almost like what the old green army men were made out of when we were kids. The on/off switch doesn't seem to click like it should, and the choke switch needs some attention. The cap for the bar oil tank is real loose fitting and even when tightened down, it moves from side to side quite easily. If it quits raining, I'll go out and gas it up. It came with a bottle of 40:1 mix oil, a 3.2 oz. bottle of bar oil, scrench and supposedly a 3 year warraunty.

Well I've got $101 into it. If nothing else its got a good bar and chain, and the carry case. The cats are digging the carry case. One cat is inside it putting his paws out where the scabbard goes, and the other one is on the outside attacking his paws. So they're happy with it.

They're strangeled ...

They seem to be put together well. But, there sure are a LOT of those things refurbished on the net. Makes one wonder why. WDO

They have no room to breath. They come out of the box with no power at all and the carb needs a special tool that is not in the kit to tune. So the home owner gets frustrated and sends it back.

CPO Ryobi is the way to go. Get the tuning tool and open the muffler before you even run one. Porting is possible. Zen motors are well known to run :)

Wow, I just finished reading this entire old thread after Scott pointed it out to me. I did search on these model names but somehow I missed this one. Anyway, the McCulloch MS4018PAV is also similar to the RedMax GZ4000/GZ400 (still foggy on the difference). Mine says it's made in Taiwan, although the design and the parts are clearly RedMax. The oiler is non-adjustable, so I don't know if it's more similar to the GZ4000 or GZ400. I'll add a link to the thread I did in case anyone is looking for info: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/204686.htm

A couple of items: First, the airbox does have an inlet, it's a triangular opening that lets to an entrance behind the clutch cover. It pulls in a lot of fines. I modded mine differently.

Second, the muffler mod done here punches from the outlet area through the divider plate, but leads to an area that is somewhat restricted from the port. The port is angled down and blows into the bottom of the muffler, which is a larger area, but the holes through the baffle are small. I also modded the muffler differently.

I've had no fuel line issues.

Interesting to see this revived. I have become disenchanted with mine. It is hard to start and keep running until warmed up, then it does OK for a while. Then if you turn if off and let it sit for a bit it is basically impossible to restart. I have tried all sorts of tuning variations with it, but cannot find a sweet spot. It is nice to have a saw this size for close-in work, but only if it will run... I like my MS362 as it always starts runs and performs great. I would like a smaller saw that works, so maybe I will pickup a small Stihl one of these days. Not a priority right now...

Interesting to see this revived. I have become disenchanted with mine. It is hard to start and keep running until warmed up, then it does OK for a while. Then if you turn if off and let it sit for a bit it is basically impossible to restart. I have tried all sorts of tuning variations with it, but cannot find a sweet spot. It is nice to have a saw this size for close-in work, but only if it will run... I like my MS362 as it always starts runs and performs great. I would like a smaller saw that works, so maybe I will pickup a small Stihl one of these days. Not a priority right now...
Bummer, but I don't think that's inherent to the saw - sounds like typical carb problems. Probably a leaky needle + tank pressure = flooding. Or it's just a ZAMA. The only saw I have which randomly has that issue has a small ZAMA (not for long). Luckily my McCulloch has a Walbro.

I'd put a carb kit in it and it might fix it.

Sounds to me more like a defective coil.

I'm not real crazy about throwing parts at a cheap saw in hopes of fixing it... Parts will cost more than the saw did...

Davec,
Which saw do you have that has these problems? The thread started off talking about the Ryobi 10532, but now people are talking about the Powerhorse saws, as well as the several models of Redmaxes the Ryobi copied.

I'm not real crazy about throwing parts at a cheap saw in hopes of fixing it... Parts will cost more than the saw did...
This is an interesting point of view - if you had paid more for the saw you would feel more comfortable spending money on parts for it. And yet it is a far higher quality piece than any similar displacement plastic Stihl which costs more. The cost of a product is not based on the cost of the materials and does not reflect the quality of the product - it's based solely on what they can get you to pay for it.

Davec,
Which saw do you have that has these problems? The thread started off talking about the Ryobi 10532, but now people are talking about the Powerhorse saws, as well as the several models of Redmaxes the Ryobi copied.
The idea that these are copies of the RedMax sort of implies they are stolen/unauthorized, but this is not realistic. There's no way that a corporation such as Ryobi or Jenn Feng/McCulloch gets aways with selling stolen designs in the US - these are licensed designs or actual RedMax saws. Even the Chinese knock offs are probably coming out the back door of the factory that makes the actual saws, such as the GZ400. RedMax never had a high sales volume, so it makes sense for them to have done licensed or contract designs.

On an older thread,there is some discussion about Sears carrying the same saw as a Craftsman Professional.If you can locate the Sears model number then sears.com should have the parts.

I've got what I guess is the Sears version of the saw, with exception the chain adjuster it looks identical, although it has made in Japan on it. The model is 358.362180. Ya'll are right on about them needing the muffler opened, mine acts like it has a muzzle on it.

While I wouldn't be surprised if Sears sold the Redmax rebadged as a Craftsman, I'm not sure that the Craftsman model # information is accurate. I'm under the impression the 358 prefix indicates made by Poulan.

I have the Ryobi 10532.

WHW - I see your logic, but frankly it was never that great of a saw from the beginning. I don't think it is anything superior, so therefore it is a "cheap saw" to me. It has always been hard starting and running when cold, and then difficult to restart when warm. But now it is to the point where if it stops, you can forget restarting it. I got my $100 worth, and I even replaced the tank after a thrown chain put a small hole in it (another $50). But now to guess new carb or new coil, I would be throwing money at it with no real diagnosis that it would fix anything. I would rather spend further money on a small Stihl that I have confidence would actually start and run when I want it to.

I thought I'd give an update on the Homlite that was the replacement saw for the Ryobi under warranty.

I still have it and it runs, although the primer bulb just failed, I have some, just haven't replaced it yet.

This thing has been beat to death, it's lived its life as a camp saw that everybody grabs to cut dirty wood for the campfire. It always starts, the chain doesn't fall off even though that was the biggest online complaint. The no tools adjuster looks weak and flimsy, but it still works.

It has been run on just about every oil and ratio combination imaginable, even outboard oil measured with the glug glug method. It was a sacrificial saw to keep people from using my better stuff in camp. It will sit for a very long time, and then start easily.

I still don't like it, but it keeps on running.

Look for a 241 C Stihl.

Latest posts

Back