A Great Little Book

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just read a great book last night. It is very short, but very interesting. It is entitled "now were loggin'!" by Paul Hosmer. It was written in 1930. Happened to find it in the school library. Very colorful stories about the various people in the timber business. If you can find one, be sure to take a quick look at it. You can probably check out our copy through interlibrary exchange. It is at Minot State University-Bottineau Campus (former ND School of Forestry) library.

Bob Underwood

Here is an excerpt: "The real purpose of the lumberjacks corks, however, only came to light when the drive was "in" and the veterean had retired to the nearest saloon to celebrate his return. Here it was you could see the deadly skill with which the lumberjack, as he entered the door, was wont to set his heel down firmly on the pine floor, twist his foot dexteriously, and rip out an entire board without batting an eye. After a couple of hearty jolts of bottled sunshine, one snort of which had been known to blow a man's collar buttons a distance of forty feet, it was his custom to kick a two foot splinter out of the wooden bar rail just to hear it crack. Every kind of hardwood obtainable has been tried out in backwoods saloons for bar rails and floors, but nothing grows that can withstand the joyful ravages of a lumberjack on vacation."....."The brass bar rail has done more to tame the lumberjack and cramp his style than any other thing, including prohibition. It practically ruined him. If you're a logger there's no use in getting drunk if you can't break something."

Sounds like a good book. That excerpt reminds me of a barbque I had quite a few years back. Let's just say the refreshments were flowing pretty well and my buddy and I decided to take my old JD skidder for a little rip around the yard. Problem was, I forgot we had moved the picnic table and I backed over it with the skidder. Flattened it out like a pancake. Wife not happy.

Latest posts

Back