A leaning tree and a tree with Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saleem

Reaction score
Greetings from a new member, a first time home owner and a first time gardener,

I have two trees in our small yard that, according to some opinions, gots to go (pictures attached).
The first two pics (named 1 & 2) are of a tree that is leaning towards my neighbor's yard and deck.
The second set of two pics (3 & 4) are of a tree that is leaning towards my open garage, shows signs of weakness as it being drained by Poison Ivy. There is minor growth at the very top of this tree but the rest of the leaves are all poison ivy. Not sure how long it has been on the tree or how long the tree will last and I don't want to take any risks as it may end up on my car some day. If for the worst reasons I do have to remove both trees, I plan to plant four more to replace them.

1) My first question is that should I be worried that if the first tree (pics 1 & 2) falls and if it causes any damage, will I be liable?
2) I'm not sure what kind of tree it is and I would hate to cut a healthy tree. It feels it has strong roots and is healthy as I have tried pushing, pulling and exerting pressure on it to see if it easily moves. But the way it is leaning on the chain link fence can not only take the fence down but also land on our neighbors deck.

3) For the second tree (pictures 3 & 4), I have seen some videos and read some blogs on getting rid of poison ivy and cutting down trees. I am handy with told and up for the challenge as some make it seem like an easy job as long as I take precaution. But some folks' reviews are quite scary so thought I should check with the pros before attempting anything.
4) Does Vinegar do a good job of getting rid of poison ivy? If yes, then how long should I treat it with vinegar before attempting to cut the ivy down?
5) Should I try to locate the root and de-root the ivy?
6) Should I remove the tree with the ivy? I would love to keep the tree if there is any hope it will revive.

I would appreciate any advice on these matters.
Thank you in advance.
Saleem

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 26
Greetings from a new member, a first time home owner and a first time gardener,

I have two trees in our small yard that, according to some opinions, gots to go (pictures attached).
The first two pics (named 1 & 2) are of a tree that is leaning towards my neighbor's yard and deck.
The second set of two pics (3 & 4) are of a tree that is leaning towards my open garage, shows signs of weakness as it being drained by Poison Ivy. There is minor growth at the very top of this tree but the rest of the leaves are all poison ivy. Not sure how long it has been on the tree or how long the tree will last and I don't want to take any risks as it may end up on my car some day. If for the worst reasons I do have to remove both trees, I plan to plant four more to replace them.

1) My first question is that should I be worried that if the first tree (pics 1 & 2) falls and if it causes any damage, will I be liable?
2) I'm not sure what kind of tree it is and I would hate to cut a healthy tree. It feels it has strong roots and is healthy as I have tried pushing, pulling and exerting pressure on it to see if it easily moves. But the way it is leaning on the chain link fence can not only take the fence down but also land on our neighbors deck.

3) For the second tree (pictures 3 & 4), I have seen some videos and read some blogs on getting rid of poison ivy and cutting down trees. I am handy with told and up for the challenge as some make it seem like an easy job as long as I take precaution. But some folks' reviews are quite scary so thought I should check with the pros before attempting anything.
4) Does Vinegar do a good job of getting rid of poison ivy? If yes, then how long should I treat it with vinegar before attempting to cut the ivy down?
5) Should I try to locate the root and de-root the ivy?
6) Should I remove the tree with the ivy? I would love to keep the tree if there is any hope it will revive.

I would appreciate any advice on these matters.
Thank you in advance.
Saleem

Chop the vines of the ivy a foot or so off the ground with an axe, clean your axe with detergent. Nuke the vine ends with straight undiluted glyphosphate, and spray anything that resprouts with strong foliliar solution.

Back