• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

A lot of Hydraulic oil on windshield

motorhead99999

motorhead99999

Jeepin tree man
Couple days ago my wife used my truck to pick up shaving for the farm. She pulled in the driveway next to my father in law with a round bale on the the front end loader. He shut the tractor off and a hose for the lift arms blew and covered the windshield, hood and driver side of my truck. So far I have tried windex, Cnc glass cleaner and dish soap with no avail. As soon as I turn the wipers on in the rain it’s like looking through a piece of privacy glass till it beads back up. Any one got any ideas before I kick the windshield out of a 2013 f150.
Thanks

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Possibly try some almost full strength ammonia. It will remove any wax on your truck. Maybe put it directly on a cloth or paper towels. Clean your wiper blades with it too. Probably should replace them when you get the glass clean. Good luck.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Simple green and lots of water. It is going to take a lot of applications. When you think you have made progress, do it again. Then follow with multiple cleanings with Dawn or Ajax liquid dish washing product, do not use any of these products that have a skin softener or conditioner. Just plain grease cutters.
Hydro fluids are really good wetters, made even better when they get warm. Think of it as though you are trying to wash cooked with canola oil out of a cast iron pan leaving no residue. The windshield and paint are porous surfaces to hydro fluids. Wear gloves, you are going to be there awhile. Read the directions and warnings on the bottle.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
Never tried simple green, but purple power and any pressure washer soap product I've ever used is virtually useless on oil and grease. Wd40 is gentle and it works. Slowly. Let it soak.

the residue left by wd40 is easy to clean off with hot, soapy water.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
WD40 is basically mineral spirits/naptha level solvent, with a light oil such a hydro fluid. It would be similar to using kerosine. Depending on the windshield it could cause issues down the road, delamination, gasket issues, etc..

Simple green is a product that breaks down grease and oil, it needs to be applied near full strength, worked then rinsed. It is not an effective product on dirt, soil or such, only grease and oils. Simple green is the same type of cleaner as Windex however Windex is a very weak formula. These products break down relatively fast in the environment as opposed to soaps or other types of detergents. Short term exposer is relatively safe, wear gloves. They will dry out skin extremely fast.

It is recommended to test on painted surfaces as it may cause bleaching, all of the simple green type cleaners are caustic. Do not let it dry on the glass or painted surface, work a small area and rinse quicklly.

I would not recommend a pressure washer until a car is clean and even then would not use one myself. Pressure washing a dirty car is basically sandblasting it. It is also a horrible thing to do to waterproofing gaskets.

Using hot water can make the oil go into the surface deeper. Same as a hot sunny day. It should not be needed.

Time and effort with the appropriate product after reading the directions and warnings.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Has been mentioned but I'll guess the wiper blades need replaced as they will continue to spread the oil around even if you get the windshield clean.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Absolutely will need new wipers. Even if they seem okay at the moment they may seep later.

Also if that wind shield was treated with a product like rainx, it will take longer to clean. Light oils, silicone, and water make for slippery when wet hard to clean sludge.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
[QUOTE="Justsaws,
Using hot water can make the oil go into the surface deeper.
[/QUOTE]

Never heard that one.

Cold water doesn't work nearly as well to remove oil and grease.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
In terms of hot versus cold it depends on the surface being cleaned, what needs removed and how it is being removed.

If you wanted to treat a windshield with oil for some reason it would be best to do on a hot summer day mid afternoon with warm oil.

If a person had all the time in the world to clean oil off a windshield they would wash it, dry it and let it get warmed up in the sun, cool off in the night and wash it again. Repeat for eternity until no oil was left. This is why windshield treatments need to be reapplied. Eventually they will seep out and get washed away.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
Baaahh, wd40 will not hurt glass. Sorry, but whereinthe**** didja get that idea? I doubt it would hurt the rubber parts either.

anyway, I've blown hoses on various equipment over the years and cleaned it just like I said with no apparent issues, even years later.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
You need to ditch the wiper blades. To clean the windshield, you are probably going to need to use a glass cleaner wax. It should be able to strip out all of the oil from the pits in your windscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/J-WHEATON-CO...ld=1&keywords=glass+wax&qid=1599251816&sr=8-4

Before buying the wax, try a Mr Clean magic eraser with the original blue windex. Follow up with a couple of microfiber towels. It might be enough to do the job. Only on the windshield!. Rest of the car, I would use purple power vehicle/boat pressure washer concentrate. You can get this stuff cheap at Walmart by the gallon. If you have a pressure washer and a foam cannon it should make short work of it without damaging your finish. It will remove all auto wax. Good Luck.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak