• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

A lot of Hydraulic oil on windshield

benjo75

benjo75

ArboristSite Operative
My bucket truck had a cylinder that started dripping a few drops on the windshield. Couldn't shut down at the time to repack it so I had to run it for a few weeks. Oil will ruin the wiper blades. Had to replace them. Used Bleeche White and brush every morning to clean it before work. Sfter repacking the cylinder I used Purple Power and a pressure washer to clean it good.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Zep products are commercial/industrial standards. If they have a warning its because that is what it does. Supposedly not the products they used to be, i still be cautious.

For awhile Simple green was available in different concentrations, just use the basic stuff. The other concentrations were much more caustic, they start getting worse for you as the concentrations go up, just like Windex. Fumes and mists are very hard on the respiratory tract in the higher concentrations, not great for you in any concentration.

WD40 breaks down rubber, plastics and paints. It uses the same ingredients others use to delaminate things like glass, ceramics, etc..

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Zep products are commercial/industrial standards. If they have a warning its because that is what it does. Supposedly not the products they used to be, i still be cautious.
Was marketed for cleaning industrial and farm equipment among other things.
I don't think it said anything about paint.
Just had the standard cover their butt "test before use" disclaimer many products have.

Had used it on other stuff without any trouble.

Jhenderson

Jhenderson

ArboristSite Guru
Dawn or ivory liquid in a strong mix with hot water. wash, rinse ,repeat. Chuck the wiper blades. I’ve probably oiled more machine windows with blown hydraulic hoses in the last 38 years than anybody here. Never had any problem cleaning them with what I’ve mentioned .

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Was marketed for cleaning industrial and farm equipment among other things.
I don't think it said anything about paint.
Just had the standard cover their butt "test before use" disclaimer many products have.

Had used it on other stuff without any trouble.
Generally Zep products are just much more concentrated. The degreaser is the same type of product as simple green it just the simple green is a weaker concentration.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dawn/Ajax are good degreasers. It is the overall safest product that is as effective as it is. Takes more applications, water and effort than the others but it works. Pretty much my go to light degreaser as long as whatever is being cleaned can throughly rinsed with water.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
Hey Justsaws,

you've been coming across as an authority on cleaning since this thread started. I'm just curious what gives you this expertise?

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the early days part of my jobs was to find solutions to problems such as how to clean various items. This typically involved communicating with various people such as conservationists to scientists and eventually sales reps. Then to apply the various ideas. The goal being to clean things effectively without wasting time/money/materials and not damaging the things being cleaned.

It soon became a source of conversation with many people who also had vested interests in cleaning something, as well as entertainment. Not exposing people to unneeded chemicals and procedures was a concern that drove a lot of conversations.

Basically entertainment these days. There was a fairly huge shift in safety and thinking from the 1980s through the 1990s.

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
Well that's a little vague, but obviously you speak from some collaborative experience, while I speak merely from personal experience. Fair enough.

svk

Saw Hoarder
Dawn dish soap, hot water in a hose, and a large sponge. Wash what you can with hot water. Then dawn and really lather it up with the sponge. Wash off. Hose residue out of the sponge and do it again. Shouldn't take more than two or three applications.

Replace the wipers.