A new toy for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran one tank in it so far I'm waiting on my good race oil to come in (klotz) yes the shipping was way faster than I had expected ..I'm very eager for it to break in
The spikes were 35$ plus 5$ shipping

I build 2 stroke race engines for atvs sleds dirt bikes and motorcycles for over ten years . I've torn down and inspected a lot of engines and without being puffed up I think it's fair to say have a few top wins under my belt I know a thing about oils ...on gas and methanol the best premix oil I have used for high rpm power and reliability is klotz supertechnaplate race oil . It is a semi synthetic and contains castor oil a unique blend that offers the benefits of both new and old style oils but with clean burn technology .castor oil has a higher btu rating than gasoline and actually makes horsepower when burned. . I personally would not use the cheap synthetics that the big names market in a 800$ saw. They work okay but their flashpoint is very high and can load up an exhaust if not efficiently burned off at high Rpms also they do not typically lubricate the crank bearings enough causing issues down the road most people think the premix oil is necessary evil but only needed at high ratios to lube the rings in the bore and any more oil is waste and smokes up more ..but the misunderstood issue is it is also the only oil your bearings are going to get. .. Less oil equals more friction ..which equals more wear and less power . That is a fact in the race world regardless of what manufacturer claims on the bottle

. . . klotz supertechnaplate race oil . It is a semi synthetic and contains castor oil a unique blend that offers the benefits of both new and old style oils but with clean burn technology .castor oil has a higher btu rating than gasoline and actually makes horsepower when burned. . I personally would not use the cheap synthetics that the big names market in a 800$ saw.

That's very interesting - castor oil, as in oil from the castor seed i.e. a vegetable based oil?

I've never seen klotz around here - any other brands you would recommend that are decent? I won't be too hard on my saw, but I do want it to last.

Synthetic? Semi-synthetic? Non-synthetic 2 stroke oil?

Bel-Ray H1R,Maxima K2,Klotz R50,Motul 800 2T,Amsoil Saber are 5 of the best synthetic oils you can buy. Any motorcycle shop should have or can order these,if not buy them from Amazon.

I've used Klotz Techniplate but R50 burns cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other I like is maxima 927 redline racing and yamalube isn't too bad either
Klotz r50 is a full synthetic which I would probably not use ..I would use a semi synthetic
Some are better than others ..If there was one oil I'd avoid *unless it was a four stroke* is amsoil .it Leaves a green film scum inside engines because it doesn't burn off well and it doesn't mix well in certain fuels either

I used Amsoil Saber for a long time without any green film and never had a problem with it mixing.

I used Amsoil Saber for a long time without any green film and never had a pronlem with it mixing.

If you mix it say 32:1 yeah youll get a green film thats to strong for Saber it says 100:1 is recommended... if used properly there should be no problem.

Yup 710 is good too the only difference is the 800 is better for power valves and its double ester based oil. So 800 is a little better oil but in a chain saw you won't really see the benefits of the 800 over the 710.

Finally ran my new saw - love it - and really like these new flippy Tab caps - they require less effort than the old ones. If I didn't have the new flippy caps, I would definitely get some when they come available, if they fit your saw.

If you get a mid 13" and up model they have flippys . Personally I would never run a high ratio like 100-1 . The plated bore might be able to take that punishment but the Poor crank bearings are practically bone dry when guys do that . A uneccesary risk IMHO .. No benefit only more risk ..More oil always means less friction . Friction produces: heat and wear ..two things you don't want in a 800$ chainsaw

Like a champ I burned a tank through it today . I think I may swap out to a 18" bar I'm not used to a 20" and it's not my preference feels a bit strange but as far as power and balance it's really great I never thought a chainsaw could be this smooth if Cadillac made a saw this would be it lol even when you set it down and let it idle it stays planted and hums away . In the cut it rips with authority ..a light 18" bar and some stihl rm or rs chain is in it's future . I'd say its the ultimate firewood saw
Flotec how's that new 562 treating you?

Good to hear. I was out cutting a little with my 550xp and its surprising how powerful that little thing is. If they ever have a gtg in western pa I'll have to come out and put a face with a name.

Back