a new way to stack wet wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would sell it as is BUT i only sell good dry cottonwood. well wet cottonwood doesnt split good when wet or even damp because there are so many knots that splitting by hand is possible but dont expect to get a lot done in a day and its even worse on the splitter just gets really stringy. i thought that by facing the rounds where the sun rises and sets that they would get optimum sunlight thus faster drying and i thought the surface area would help with the process to. i have no problem stacking it like this i like it im still young so aches and pains are GREAT. maybe when i get older ill do it differently.

Last edited:
well wet cottonwood doesnt split good when wet or even damp because there are so many knots that splitting by hand is possible but dont expect to get a lot done in a day and its even worse on the splitter just gets really stringy. i thought that by facing the rounds where the sun rises and sets that they would get optimum sunlight thus faster drying and i thought the surface area would help with the process to. i have no problem stacking it like this i like it im still young so aches and pains are GREAT. maybe when i get older ill do it differently.

stack the ends facing the prevailing winds...

here we stack the firewood facing north-south.

southern winds 9-10 months out of the year and northern winds the rest of the year.

stack the ends facing the prevailing winds...

here we stack the firewood facing north-south.

southern winds 9-10 months out of the year and northern winds the rest of the year.

yeah i do that the way the sun rises and sets is usually the way the wind blows which is eeast and west.

Back