A New Wood Borer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a guy call me claiming to be some sort of enforcement guy in regards to selling firewood and moving it in to restricted areas. When I told him that what he was telling me was no where near what the DNR told me when I became a certified seller, his tune changed dramatically. Turned out, he was perhaps an enforcer, but only in his own mind

However, he brought up some new type of wood boring bug, saying most dont even know about it yet. He claims it will attack any kind of tree, anywhere, and that it perhaps came to USA via pallets. I told him that I had not heard mention of it here on AS, and if indeed there was such a pest, I was sure I would have heard of it through this site.

So, I am asking, you guys ever hear of it? According to him it is in Indiana and Tennessee already. he called it an Emerald Borer. not Emerald Ash Borer.

I am thinking it could just be another one of his "in his own mind" kinda deals.

Thanks!
Ted

there's something killing trees around here. that "enforcement" jackalope who gave you a visit might be FOS. ash trees, of course, are getting hammered around here and over at my cousins' place he has a whole ridge where the walnuts are dying off. no agriculture any where near his place, so it couldn't be over spray from herbicides and the ridge is several hundred yards from the road. it's been to wet and muddy to work 'em into firewood but i'm curious what the walnuts will look like under the bark and sech. most of these trees are maybe 18" inches and bigger in diameter.

Long Horned Asian beetle is the one, so right there you know the guy is FAKE. It is non-discriminatory as to what it attacks. Yes, it is also an import, that much he got right. As with the EAB cat is out of the bag. ain't no way your going to get contained. I haven't studied up on it a lot so I do not know if there is or what there might be to attack it.

There is a Longhorn Asian Beetle infestation about 35 miles from here (around the town of Bethel, east of Cincinnati). Supposedly it only moves about a half mile a year.

They are doing serious work taking out all infested trees and burning them this winter. There is HOPE of stopping it before it spreads.

Yes, this is another gift from our cheap Far East imports.

Ken

:tongue2:

That's awesome. I would certainly expect that to be a hoax call at best. Somebody out there on CL doesn't think you should be selling wood as cheap as you do. The only firewood enforcement agency in the state of Minnesota is the Department of Agriculture. The DNR has no jurisdiction over firewood other than what comes in and out of their parks, forests, WMA's, etc. The DNR Approved Vendor program is a registry at best. It is not an inspection, nor seal of approval. It means you took the effort to file the paperwork to be able to sell wood for use in DNR facilities, and only the facilities that you selected on the application. It is a flawed program that lascks funding to really make it work as it should.

If they have issue with your wood products tell them to come on out and see you in person. Wood cannot be taken OUT of a quarantined area in Minnesota unless it has the approval of the Dept of Ag., but there is nothing stopping it from going IN.

The bug this Moe was perhaps referring to would be the Asian Long Horn Beetle. It likes all wood. Alot.

wasn't there a thread a couple months ago about some thing eating maple trees now?

:tongue2:

That's awesome. I would certainly expect that to be a hoax call at best. Somebody out there on CL doesn't think you should be selling wood as cheap as you do. The only firewood enforcement agency in the state of Minnesota is the Department of Agriculture. The DNR has no jurisdiction over firewood other than what comes in and out of their parks, forests, WMA's, etc. The DNR Approved Vendor program is a registry at best. It is not an inspection, nor seal of approval. It means you took the effort to file the paperwork to be able to sell wood for use in DNR facilities, and only the facilities that you selected on the application. It is a flawed program that lascks funding to really make it work as it should.

If they have issue with your wood products tell them to come on out and see you in person. Wood cannot be taken OUT of a quarantined area in Minnesota unless it has the approval of the Dept of Ag., but there is nothing stopping it from going IN.

The bug this Moe was perhaps referring to would be the Asian Long Horn Beetle. It likes all wood. Alot.

The guy called back yesterday and wanted to come help me cut wood! Can ya believe it? And, I would have to go(40 miles one way) and get him, then take him back home to boot! I hung up on him.

Yeah, I know the DNR isn't a great program but at least they give a person an idea of what can and cannot go where. The only time it really comes in to play for me is in the bundled firewood sales.
Ted

Never speak to any "official" in any capacity without your lawyer present, in these tough economic times every tax dollar leach is looking to justify their jobs by any means necessary and these random visits are just the beginning. Government is supposed to be for the people by the people but it is not. Stay strong and don't give them the time of day and they will move on to weaker targets.

The guy called back yesterday and wanted to come help me cut wood! Can ya believe it? And, I would have to go(40 miles one way) and get him, then take him back home to boot! I hung up on him.

Yeah, I know the DNR isn't a great program but at least they give a person an idea of what can and cannot go where. The only time it really comes in to play for me is in the bundled firewood sales.
Ted

That guy sounds nuttier than squirrell ****. Keep him out your way...;)

Back