A nice day on a small tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems the camera is now communing with nature out there.

Not a job that _had_ to be done now but nice to have an excuse for a few hours behind a saw.

Went back to that ramshackle house to remove the small, ratty pine tree at the right. I had already removed all the other trees last summer.

House.jpg

2 hours of cutting/piling brush reminded me that brushing out is my least favorite part of 'wooding'. Also got reminded that when doing pine, one gets 'sticky hands' from the sap. cured that with the old "grab some dirt and rub' trick. Fine until I left and realized that I didn't want to be nibbling on the donuts I brought with such dirty hands. Minor diversion to a small town on way out to wash hands :)

Made a mistake by driving across a narrow neck of farmland on the old driveway that has been farmed over "Oh, that's solid enough". Halfway across I was tossing mud rooster tails and wondering. About half done with the brushing out I decided to get the PU back across that area and onto the county road. Figured if I stuck it, I oculd at least be cutting up the tree while waiting for the tow. Backed up along the house as far as possible and 'gunned' it. Must have been doing about 40 when I hit the mud. Last 10 feet was getting rather 'sweaty" but made it.

Anyhow the tree is gone, the brush piled and waiting for the torch...maybe next week. Brush pile is almost the size of the whole tree. I left the 'firewood' piled there for anyone who wants it - only enough for a couple good fire pit fires.

Drove up to my last logging site to scout it. I thought I might have 5 or 6 trees left. Hah! must be at least a dozen medium locusts and 2 good size red elm. I think I will be giving some of that away also.

Harry K

Last edited:
Wow.Kansas looks like Sherwood Forest compared to your corner of the world, Harry.I'll bet those farmers appreciated those trees.

He's been at it a while ! First it was the Willows , then the Black Locusts . Now, it's the Elms that don't stand a chance against Harry.

Wow.Kansas looks like Sherwood Forest compared to your corner of the world, Harry.I'll be those farmers appreciated those trees.

The only trees you see here are what were planted (like in that picture) or pine and willow in the bottoms. This was all 'tall grass prairie back in the day.

Fromsteptoe.jpg

Taken from the top of Steptoe Butte early morning. That is about 10 air miles from my house. This is the heart of the Palouse, rolling hills formed from blown dust at the end of the last ice age. All the trees you can spot in there are those planted around farmsteads. Locust was popular as they could withstand the dry conditions (around 16" total moisture per year almost all Nov-March).

Harry K

Hi: I was stationed in Bremerton when our ship was in the dry docks for 7-months back in 1961. I had relatives living over in Richland at that time.

I really like that part of the country - Washington is a beautiful state.

Nosmo

Curiously, have you have been back around some of the places you have cut BL from ?

Around here when a BL gets cut down , there will be several more sucker sprouts within 30-40 feet from the original tree. The root system doesn't seem to give up easily.

I wonder if you are helping to propagate the species for future firewood cutters or if you intend to come back for those when they are ready.

Heh, just kidding ! you'll be back for them too ! :cheers:

Curiously, have you have been back around some of the places you have cut BL from ?

Around here when a BL gets cut down , there will be several more sucker sprouts within 30-40 feet from the original tree. The root system doesn't seem to give up easily.

I wonder if you are helping to propagate the species for future firewood cutters or if you intend to come back for those when they are ready.

Heh, just kidding ! you'll be back for them too ! :cheers:

Yeah, I was jusst by a site I removed 8 from last spring. Oddly, only one stump had re-sprouted and it was one that caught fire from my slash pile. Burned clear down into the roots. As for sprouts coming up around them? Haven't really noticed any out in the county but in my back yard? Lots of them. Cut one down 6 or 8 years ago and last summer ws the first one were I wasn't chasing them. Still not sure I have gotten them all. Roundup does a good job. I even had one sprout in a crack in the patio pad 20 ft away from the tree.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back