A nice morning in the apple orchard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The temps are now back up around thirty so it's not bitter cold, but the ground is frozen and drivable.

Attachments

• IMAG1465.jpg
    IMAG1465.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG1461.jpg
    IMAG1461.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG1466.jpg
    IMAG1466.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
niiiiiiiiice... the sweet smell of apple is well worth the hassle. and the extra branches you have to cut thru. seems to me like its the core of the apple that smells the best. the bark and outter wood just smells like a regular fire.

The best part was that the ground had a gentle slope so each round rolled nicely down to the truck on its own! Only a few required a kick to get them going.

I had a nice day yesterday as well
6cd636be65963985e626b3e905619f47.jpg
a30820cdc3f5401962e07b71ae14b33c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes lindnova, it is kinda hard on the chain and bar primarily because all the trees have been bulldozed into twisted, gnarly heaps. It's difficult to get a good stance and keep the saw straight. Unfortunately, it's not like cutting on my sawbuck in the driveway. I managed to get some nice straight logs today.

Yes lindnova, it is kinda hard on the chain and bar primarily because all the trees have been bulldozed into twisted, gnarly heaps. It's difficult to get a good stance and keep the saw straight. Unfortunately, it's not like cutting on my sawbuck in the driveway. I managed to get some nice straight logs today.

nice pics, those were big trees for a production orchard, but looks like they kept up on the pruning good!

I used to work at an orchard when I was in school, we would pile all the cut trees and trimmings and burn it to try and manage disease in the orchard.

Huge piles built up over the winter. we offered the wood to folks, nobody ever wanted to cut out of those piles so it all got burned each spring.

Yeah, oldsoul, there were some big trees in there. I'm assuming that it was bulldozed because it had reached the end of its life. Nobody else that I know of has been back in there cutting, so it's kinduv like my own personal golden goose until it gets torched. I saw that one of the piles was already burned.

Back