A perfect way to achieve fitness -- Tree Climbing!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently stumbled across the following article in our local Alternative magazine, and was astonished at the results of the study's findings. If further studies corroberate these results, it would seem to me this new "high intensity" method of fitness training has great potential to enter the mainstream of the fitness community, especially among those of us who for whatever reason, find ourselves increasingly time-crunched.

And immediately I thought of tree climbing when I read the article. The author emphasizes that the exercises must be performed at an all-out, sprint pace, and when I think of footlocking or body thrusting 50 feet into a tree, I know that one can easily achieve such a pace climbing to the top of a tree.

Just another of myriad phychological, sociological, and physiological benefits of being a tree climber. :umpkin:

Short and Sweet

Last edited:
I began to seriously investigate RTC 2 years ago, because I needed the upper body conditioning. Everything that I was doing involved long distance leg work - walking and biking. I started kayak paddling on a lake. That was only good for 3 months max and not cost effective.

If limited on daylight, I've been know to descend and ascend multiple times via body thrust at dusk. I prefer the creativity of moving tree to tree, but the repeat up and down rope session helped with my conditioning.

Just carrying my daypack full of gear has been a work out. I try to get in 2 mile hikes in advance of a tree climb.

I'm not a gym guy. I'm happy with my workouts in the canopy. That's how I prefer it.

Regards,
JimK

Keep FIT - Fun in Trees

I wholeheartedly agree with JimK, neither am I a gym guy (or Jim guy). I hate gyms. They’re sweaty, smelly, noisy, confining, too structured, and the aerobic and anaerobic conditioning regimens they offer, are drear, unimaginative, and unfun. Unless the weather outside (as our local weatherman is fond of saying) is a torrential downpour, or the mercury in the thermometer barely emerges above the bulb with a 15 mph wind, I could never see myself spinning away furiously on an exercycle or hurrying myself to nowhere on a treadmill. Has anyone noticed the tortured and scrunched up faces of these people who mount these hideous machines?

But as far as strength conditioning, unless you have you own home gym, they’re hard to beat, IMHO. Anything other than strength conditioning, there’s no substitute for the great outdoors for achieving cardiovascular fitness. With so many individual outdoor activities freely available – cycling, inline skating, running, power walking, hiking, Nordic skiing, Nordic skating, tree climbing, and many more – it’s completely lost on me how anybody could join a gym.

However, my jaded view of gyms could quickly change, should my local gym have the prescience to make a couple minor policy changes. They are just my suggestions of course, but first I’d recommend to the gym’s governing body that the attire of female gym goers be, er, adjusted a bit. And second, in the interest of efficiency, I’d recommend that the locker rooms become co-ed.

Just some thoughts of mine on the state-of-the-art in the fitness world.

Chucky said:
I wholeheartedly agree with JimK, neither am I a gym guy (or Jim guy). I hate gyms.
However, my jaded view of gyms could quickly change, should my local gym have the prescience to make a couple minor policy changes. They are just my suggestions of course, but first I’d recommend to the gym’s governing body that the attire of female gym goers be, er, adjusted a bit. And second, in the interest of efficiency, I’d recommend that the locker rooms become co-ed.

Just some thoughts of mine on the state-of-the-art in the fitness world.

i just want to interject that there are some of us (both genders) that would not be a pretty picture in the coed locker room... :eek:

id have to say that article is aboout lame . there is no way anyonw is going to increase their endurance by 100% with tiny little sprint work outs ...lame .... waht about warm up ... i see it now mr couch potato reads that and decides to sprint down the road where upon he immediatly dies of a heart attack at best he tears his meniscus cartiledge in both knees

Back