ArboristSite.com Sponsors

A Plea to all my AS Motorcyclist Friends

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Husky Man, May 20, 2019.

1. Husky Man

Husky Man Addicted to ArboristSite

While I have only met a few of you, I consider many AS members as Friends, and I know many of you Ride.

PLEASE, find Patience and restraint while riding.

Tonight on my way home from work, I had a motorcycle tailgating me HARD, I was doing 45-48 in a 40 zone, the car next to me was doing about 40-43, as I started to pull ahead of the old couple, while my rear fender was about even with their front fender, the Bike split the lane between us (Lane Splitting is NOT Legal in Oregon), as the bike split the lane the light ahead at 172nd changed and rather than stopping, which the bike had plenty of room to do, he rolled on the throttle, and was doing well over 80. I don't think that the poor Lady turning had a chance to see him, the Bike hit the car, in the rear quarter panel, and literally Launched the 235-250 pound rider almost vertically, from my pick up it looked like he was as high as the signal arm, something right out of Hollywood, but he was no stuntman, and wont be going home when done shooting his scenes.

How much Blood can a body lose and survive? the scene was unbelievable,the riders broken body, enough scattered bike parts that you would have thought there were 3 bikes involved not one.

The last couple hours have been an Emotional Roller Coaster, initially Shock, quickly turning to reacting, the pain of knowing there was Nothing that I could do for the rider, trying to reassure the lady driver, that there really was no seeing what was coming, dealing with some Jack ass honking because the 5 minutes wait were getting to him, calming as I dealt with the City Police officers, then, afterwards, realizing that it could just as easily have been Rick, my best Friend of over 30 years lying there in the road, that really hit home, that 2 people who don't even know each other, each making a mistake, could forever take my best friend from me in the blink of an eye.

I have had ATV's, Jet Skis, Snowmobiles and for awhile a Bike that didn't get much use, just never felt comfortable on it, I understand the Acceleration can be a real Adrenaline Rush, I GET IT, but Please, get that rush somewhere APPROPRIATE, the Public Roads are NOT that place, especially the city streets.

Please don't be the next one, I may not agree with everyone here, but I want for ALL of you to be back to Agree, Disagree, Discuss cajole and kid with, I have even learned quite a bit from many of you, and there is more that I want to learn from more of you. There are many that I consider Friends, and Hope to some day meet in person, and maybe even share a Beer or Ice Cream (Groundie;)) with.

This is NOT a Copy and Paste from the internet, this Actually happened to ME, TODAY, Please be safe out there on the roads, I don't want anyone else to share a story like this.

Dano, I have no doubt that you have seen more than your share of scenes like what I saw today, but it is something that I Hope no one else here ever has to see, I'm still trying to make sense of just how fast ones life can change forever.

Doug :cheers:

Thank You for listening, and more so, if you take my experience to heart

chipper1, Marshy, bayard and 21 others like this.
  2. TRTermite

TRTermite ArboristSite Operative

Takes time to get this kind of shock behind you and you said most anything I would have said in your post Just don't beat yourself up over it... I have been in your shoes and it is not something anyone should have to go through.

3. square1

square1 Addicted to ArboristSite

Well posted.
    Saw the same thing (cyclist flying as high as the stop light) when I was six years old. I'm nearing 60 and still envision it from time to time like it just happened yesterday.

chipper1, SeMoTony and Husky Man like this.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

Sometimes people must price the price for doing stupid and dangerous things.
    This was totally out of your control and all you could have done, was exactly what you did.
    If your friend Rick rides like an idiot too, please have a talk with him.

5. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

A buddy of mine has a false leg now because of a motorcycle accident.

I spent a few years on one. It taught me to be a much more careful driver. One mistake on a motorcycle and your life is changed (or ended) forever.

Sorry you had to go through that, and let's hope your words save someone's life.

6. full chizel

full chizel ArboristSite Guru

This is really unfortunate but when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

7. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

chipper1, SeMoTony and farmer steve like this.
  8. Husky Man

Sleepy, no I wouldn't expect him to ride like an Idiot, but almost all of us get impatient sometimes, and do things that we shouldn't, and even know better.

Yes, I did call him shortly after I left the scene, and talked to him about what I just saw, Hoping that if he ever did get impatient, he might remember that call, and think about before doing something he shouldn't

I have ATV'ed with him for many years, and he has always been a responsible rider, I would be surprised if he was any different on the Street Bike, but all it takes is a momentary lapse of judgement, or inattention, to change one's Life Forever

9. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I likely have far more experience on motorcycles than most here have. I won several top eliminator 1/4 mile achievements before I was 20. Many MX series wins on dirt bikes. I saw a fellow competitor die when I was 14. I have been to at least 20 funerals from bike riders since. Guess what I do very little riding on streets because it takes too much concentration. Does not mean I can not or will not just means riding safe takes work. I do not recall splitting lanes. At 66 I know a thing or two because have seen a thing or two. When I drive commercial it is the same. It takes skill patience practice concentration and the proper state of mind to keep my self safe and those around me safe. For those who wish to take chances on a motorcycle or truck or bicycle the odds instantly increase until some thing unforeseen happens, some times you get lucky and some times not. For me to accidentally cause harm to some one else is a major concern that occurs every time I turn a key. Thanks

chipper1, square1, holeycow and 5 others like this.
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

I'm 62 years old and rode my 1st motorcycle around 1965. Own two 130 horsepower street bikes right now and never on the wildest day I've ever experienced in my whole life, would I have considered doing anything as you described. That guy in no way was being a "responsible rider".
    Might be why I'm still here.:)

chipper1, Husky Man and farmer steve like this.
  11. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I gave up riding because I found myself going faster and faster on the highway to stay away from the speeding cars. My 1200 suzuki bandit had no problem doing that, the traffic may vary speed wise. Most days it’s 75/80 mph and more. On the way to work I was flying. I had no fear of speed I was a adrenaline speed junkie. All alone on the highway I did 155mph one day. I notice at a certain speed the cars start coming at you faster than you can think. I noticed at normal speeds people don’t care. One wrong dumb move your road pizza. Not good when your reaction time doesn’t keep up to what’s going on. I was good at using body English on the bike too. I could lean her over in turns and drag foot pegs too. Here’s a grey haired old man who could keep up with these young whipper snappers on there rockets. Being faster than the cars probably saved my life. They change lanes without looking.

The biggest problem with new riders they have no riding experience in the dirt. One point there’s plenty of new used parts available. Sad but true.

I never crashed my bandit, nor my 390cr husky bike, it’s that darn quad that tired to take me out a few times. Four wheels isn’t that safe off road. With the bike it’s point it, wick it and hang on, only one line to pick. The quad requires two lines to pick. On one of my flights off the quad my buddies all held there arms up and gave me all 10’s. I did a perfect two and a half ganor off the quad. Thank god for good helmets.

If your worried about getting hurt riding don’t ride. I’m sorry but I see it’s the nut cases who live.

I would like to ride again. Maybe a slower dual sport bike just cruise around town. We had more fun riding the old suzuki ts185 in the beginning. We couldn’t kill these bikes.

chipper1, holeycow, Sleepy and 2 others like this.
  12. Haironyourchest

Haironyourchest ArboristSite Operative

Bikefest in my neck of the woods this weekend. Two days, two cyclists lost their lives, hit by cars, separate incidents. No motorcycle casualties. Wanted a bike as a teenager, parents wouldn't let me...glad they didn't now. Local man killed a few years ago, going normal speed on a country road, car came out of a blind side road...I'll stick to my 4 star rated boring little Renault van, thanks. Sounds like you did your utmost to make a horrible situation as bearable as possible for all concerned, fair play to you.

chipper1, Husky Man and farmer steve like this.
  13. Husky Man

UPDATE

I meant to post sooner, Gresham PD called me for a statement, afterwards I did ask about the rider.

It may have been the Worst possible outcome for him, and his Family, it is just the machines keeping him alive, and there had been no detectable brain activity, when we talked.

So now I have to imagine that his Family is Hoping against Reality for a Miracle, while the medical bills mount, facing a Decision that I can't imagine making, one that no one should ever have to make, of When to turn the machines OFF, and let the inevitable happen.

I can't imagine having to make that decision myself for my Wife. More than Twenty years ago, I had to make the decision of when to take my Golden Retriever to the Vet for the last time, that was hard enough, making a decision like that for a Family member, doesn't bear thinking about

chipper1 likes this.
  14. Huskybill

That’s terrible to witness too. Sorry. Pets, my rottie died in my wife’s arms, took two pets to be put down. The sad thing is leaving the vet with the collars and leashes.

chipper1 likes this.
  15. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

To heck with a motorcycle. I want to tour Ireland in an MX-5. I think the last time I was in Ireland you could still smoke in the pubs. Roads were just about perfect for a roadster as long as you did not hit a sheep or a tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDLKwTdurxg

chipper1 and TheBrushSlasher like this.
  16. Husky Man

That is the Dirty Little Secret, they don't mention when adopting out Pets, wouldn't stop me any way.

I had Barney from age 19 until I was 31, that was a Hard Decision, but I Knew it was time :(

I went into the exam room, and held him, while they gave him the injection, and for quite awhile after he was gone.

I had people tell me that they couldn't do that, I said, How could I NOT?

There was no way that I could have dropped him off, and drove away, knowing that he would be confused and unsure in his final moments, that is something that I just couldn't do.

17. Huskybill

I adopt abondoned kittens when people dump them in the wilds were is fish. I adopt dogs when no one wants them. My black lab was awesome but he was sick at the end. He was blind, couldn’t control his body functions. His quality of life was gone we had to put him down. Sad to do it. But they lived full lives. I tell the pups and kittens we adopt they just hit the lotto.

chipper1, PA. Woodsman and Husky Man like this.
  18. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

I look at it like this. We all go to motor races and we see big wrecks and people die. We expect some carnage in racing, it's the nature of the sport. It's all on the rider as to what chances they take and the risk that goes with it. They chose to be a dumb azz and there is nothing that can be done about stupid people. The rider made his/her choices and must live with or die from them. I raced motocross for over 20 combined years and always excepted the risk that came with it. I have seen my share of deaths on and off the track and it's hard when someone looses there life, but again they knew the risk and excepted them. I does anger me when I see people doing stupid chit on the street where they can take someone elses life along with theirs. If your on a closed track with other dumb asses is one thing but doing it where others can get hurt, really pisses me off. If someone wants to make themselves a greasy spot on the road is fine with me, just do it on a closed track where innocent people don't get hurt.
    I think lane splitting should be outlawed everywhere and if caught they should forfeit there license. Same goes with street racing. There are plenty of privet tracks that one can take all the risk they want, just keep it off the street.

holeycow and Husky Man like this.
  19. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

I rode motorcycles for years, but haven't had my Harley for 30 years. Glad I quit riding. Too many texters on the road now, and it doesn't matter how many wheels you have under you, they will run over you.

chipper1 likes this.
  20. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

Sorry you had to witness someone else's terrible mistake. I used to ride everywhere all the time. I seldom rode with people because they all acted like idiots and wanted to impress people. I went to a road course nearby a few times with my Yamaha R6 I had. That was amazing! After that the street wasn't fun anymore. I had so many close calls with cars it was ridiculous. Everyday commuting was mentally exhausting watching cars and planning their next move. Then came kids and I needed to drive them around. Ended up selling the bike and I really don't miss it. I love riding, but some riders do stupid stuff and cars don't pay attention. Soon I'll get another dirt bike and ride with our boys in the woods.

I hope you can know you didn't do anything to cause the wreck. The rider's actions caused his injuries and unfortunately caused mental suffering for several others.

chipper1 likes this.