ArboristSite.com Sponsors

A Plea to all my AS Motorcyclist Friends

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Husky Man, May 20, 2019.

1. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

We rode in a posse there was many of us together.

These kids don’t realize at night doing wheelies no one can see your headlights going down a dark street that has side streets. We lost one riding buddy doing that.

I told my son soon after to stay within your control when in busy streets. Don’t speed because they look once your not there, they start to make the turn your there. Much safer to ride the rural and country twisting roads. You don’t need speed to enjoy the ride.

My son one morning came around a blind turn that was full of deer. He tee boned one and took it on the front fender and handle bars till he stopped he never dumped the bike but it was totaled. He dirtbike experience with body English and balance is how he kept the bike up. The kids a deer magnet.

SeMoTony likes this.
  2. kyle1!

kyle1! ArboristSite Guru

I crashed my bike back in 1999 (Friends of Freddy rally) I wasn't paying attention and missed the curve ahead sign. Scrubbed some speed (FJ1200)before the blind right down hill curve but I lowsided anyway. The tree saplings in the ravine stopped my slide just enough for me to watch my bike hit a tree and break in half. My friend was behind (VFR750) me but all he saw was some smoke and proceeded to continue on until he realized I was not in front anymore. I was wearing full leather with a helmet.and they did their job in protecting me. Walked away with bumps and bruises plus one pebble in my knee. I had to ride on the back of my friends bike 1 hour to the rental place so I could grab a car for the 500 mile ride home. I bought my friends VFR750 a couple of years later but my hands started to tingle and I was always late for work taking the twisty way so I gave up riding.

Today those on bikes are doing just what Huskybill said above. They are moving too fast in and out of traffic because of being impatient then on top of it they are tailgating. I see a blue hayabusa do this just about everyday on the way home. He has had one close call so far and it is just a matter of time before the person is bitten.

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. jwilly

jwilly ArboristSite Operative

Americade has started here in the Adirondacks and there are bikes everywhere. Some of the locals get rather annoyed when a group of 50 or so come through town at the four way intersection (stop signs all four roads) and just ride on through without so much as a glance in either direction. Guess they figure no one will pull out. Last year the last of the group got a little behind and tried to catch up with the group but a car had pulled out after stopping and it was a very near miss.

Today I saw a Goldwing and the rider was texting, no hands on the bar and in my lane.

I ride but people need to use some sense and realize others also have a right to the road.

4. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

There's a group of HD riders who meet at a local gas station every weekend during riding weather, must be 30 or 40 of them.
    When they get ready to leave, some of them will pull out and block traffic both ways until the whole group gets out. Don't know if that's even legal but they get away with it.

SeMoTony likes this.
  5. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Can you even use that much power on a 500?lb motorcycle?!

My truck had 160hp when new, probably 130hp or less now. It weighs about 8 tons when loaded and does fine on the roads.

chipper1 and SeMoTony like this.
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Grumpy Old Man

Never have, it will do anything I want without it. It's not just about power though, it's the total package I like, handling, brakes, and comfort plus there's always enough power there do anything I might want and not strain it at all.
    Wish they'd made something like this back when I was young.

7. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

The bike I had was just over 100hp and weighed under 500 pounds. It was fast, but it also stuck to corners on the track like glue. The tires had scuffs and balls of rubber on the edges after the track. What's funny is my little honda civic barely has 100hp.

Sleepy, chipper1 and SeMoTony like this.
  8. cantoo

cantoo Addicted to ArboristSite

Sleepy, we do the same thing when we ride but it's usually less than 15 bikes. I feel that it is just safer to have the group together rather than a car or 2 mixed in the group. We don't believe in lane splitting and if someone does it they seldom get invited back on a ride same if they drive like an idiot or show off doing stupid stuff. No booze until days ride is done. I don't do much riding but when I do I normally ride the rear and keep an eye on the slower riders. I've done several unofficial solo iron Butt rides. Have the 130 kms per hour tickets to prove it. I don't do it anymore, charge is called stunt riding and you lose your bike for 7 days and insurance goes thru the roof.

chipper1, SeMoTony and farmer steve like this.
  9. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

I don.t know why no one wants to put on some ppe ? The logic has no science . Live wild an free has no logic when in pain . I see so many rider with no helment .Every edge you can find to reduce pain is what I do . I rode in flock of very many the only guy with a fullface helment ,most was wearing nothing . I grew up on dirt bikes . I had big scares on helments . that I walk away from . I wish I better boots back then . I really don.t know what the thinking process is behind this ?

10. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

In my state if you drive a car with multiple airbags and you don't wear a seat belt you get a ticket. But you can ride a bike with a t shirt, shorts and flip flops with no helmet, perfectly acceptable.

Sleepy, chipper1 and SeMoTony like this.
  11. keegantimber

keegantimber ArboristSite Lurker

In Ontario Canada if you wear a turbin for religious reasons you are exempt from wearing a helmet on a m/c.
    Get in a crash with head injuries and Ontario health care will pay. Plus insurance companies will pay.
    Im sure everyone can read between the lines here.....

12. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

Got blinded on a curve with bright headlights coming at me missed the curve got lucky . Any time a vote comes to end high beams I will vote yes . The new LED lights are just awful even in a rearview mirror .

13. Jed1124

Jed1124 Addicted to ArboristSite

Saw a guy texting while driving today.......on a bike.
    Two hands on the phone looking down. I didn’t have the words, just shook my head.

Sleepy likes this.