ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

A question about collecting unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was laid off from my job of 21.5 years late March so I was collecting unemployment. I was called back 12 times since then to work a few days at a time so of course I said that I worked and then collected partial unemployment. Early August I started a part time job so I reported what I made from that and again collected partial unemployment. This part time job is getting busier so I knew that it would be impossible for me to help them out at my "real" job plus they don't seem like they will be reopening soon and I don't know if they'll survive if they do so two days ago I told them I quit in case they need to do something else, I hadn't been there in a month and like I said this other job is really blossoming so I am working there and the hours are going up. Here's my question, since I quit the old job that I was collecting unemployment from is that it for me collecting? I called PA. unemployment and explained it to the guy and he said "I would just keep doing what you're doing" meaning still file for unemployment, but I quit there...unless since they don't have work for me and I am still not working 40 hours can I still collect?

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Since you signed resignation papers, the unemployment may treat that as you quit and cut your benefits.
I didn't sign any papers. I know claims are much different because of Covid, as far as my employer laying me off and not being able to offer me 40 hours, but yes I quit, so I don't know about this?!

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Who said he signed anything?

"Well I just sent an email to my boss, the owner of the company and a guy I worked with telling them that I am giving them notice that I am going to work solely for the Vision Center, the work has been picking up there, they tell me that things are picking up and will continue to do so, I haven't been called in to my old job in a month, they are asking me and others who are laid off to email them "detailed lists" about certain things that we used to do that the remaining people are now doing, the owner said he isn't going to call people in right now so I said that's it...plus they would start asking me to come in down the line and I wouldn't be able to do it since I am so busy, they would probably get mad about it so to avoid that ugly situation I decided to tell them about it now, this way we both can move on and not worry about the other one. I told them it is no ones fault, it is Covid's fault, and we all have to pick up the pieces and make our new way the best that we can.

It was what I had to do, but it was tough, I worked there 21.5 years but I know they face a very tough road back in retail if they make it back at all. "

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm going to have to look into this deeper, like I said in the past "pre Covid" if you quit your job that is it, all ties are cut, but since this Covid nonsense things are different, I was laid off because of "lack of work", and was able to claim the hours worked either at the old job or the new job and get partial payment which isn't much let me tell you! But I know that yes I did quit, but I am wondering since the old job cannot offer me full time work if that means I can still work and claim the lack of work, do like this guy on the phone said "I would continue to keep doing what you're doing"? I'm wondering if my old job would have to offer me work and have me turn it down and then they can say they are cutting me off?

I'm going to look into this further, it is much more confusing thanks to the way it works since Covid.

Jhenderson

Jhenderson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Your being in possession of a conscience makes your situation more difficult . The fact that someone in the state unemployment office told you to “carry on “ probably means they’ve got much bigger things to worry about. Like you, I’d probably be concerned about doing the right thing but the reality is nobody but a few of us dinosaurs really care.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Your being in possession of a conscience makes your situation more difficult . The fact that someone in the state unemployment office told you to “carry on “ probably means they’ve got much bigger things to worry about. Like you, I’d probably be concerned about doing the right thing but the reality is nobody but a few of us dinosaurs really care.
Well I'm thinking that my old employer that I just quit would be notified of the claims and have to okay them, no? Then they might tell them that I quit there but this part about "lack of work" is what I wonder about, if I could still claim partial benefits since they can't offer me hours, that's why I quit and also so if they did and I couldn't work them I don't leave them hanging and it gets ugly. Very complicated now....

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just talked to a guy who used to work there who is helping out once a week train someone in finances, asked him about this and he said that the only way I couldn't collect is if the woman in payroll notifies unemployment that I am not "eligible", other than that it should go through and said "try it and see", and he tried to explain to me that my ex employer wouldn't pay for it, it comes from some other source, but he lost me with that. So I don't know now what to do. I'm also asking my new payroll person at my new job, maybe she can clear it up for me.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Talked to a guy at unemployment who is sending me and my old employer a "questionaire" that we have to fill out and mail back to them so they can determine if I can still get any partial payment from them. Yesterday I got a letter saying it was going to run out soon anyway, but since I worked part time it would have been extended so we'll see. Plus a woman I worked with thinks it would be extended another 13 weeks, don't know about that, but this way it is legit, and I emailed this info to my old employer and the woman in payroll, so we'll see what happens. The guy on the phone thinks I should be able to get it but we'll see!

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
When you’re a man of principle, the peace of mind knowing you’re doing things in a legitimate manner is priceless . Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Just saw this now, thanks....and it is true, I tried calling the unemployment office today and couldn't get through, so I called the woman who worked in payroll at my old job and asked her if she knew about it, I had sent her and the owner of the company an email about it a week ago. She told me that she talked to the owner and he said I left on great terms, he understands I had to leave as they couldn't offer me work there and she said I should just continue to file it as normal, so I guess I am good to go and can still collect partial unemployment even though I quit but it is because I quit because of "lack of work", so that is a help, it's not much but it's a help!

A line from the John Mellencamp song "minutes to memories" says "he fell asleep with his head against the window, said "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind"....a song about him riding on a Greyhound bus next to an old man who was talking to him about his life and his times.

Short timer

Short timer

Wish you'd stop being so good to me captain
I’m 47 and never once in my life have I collected unemployment, it’s just another handout from the government that’s abused by many, that hard working fiscally responsible Americans have to pay for.

Tell me, how did Americans survive before 1935?

The issue is people now a days spend spend and spend some more instead of saving for a “what if” until they can find a job because they know the government will be there for them. There’s major problems with this mentality that will be the downfall of this country.

Go stock shelves, dig a ditch, clean toilets if you got to so you can get through tough times.

I bet you’re relying on SS to be there for you too.

Short timer

Short timer

and he tried to explain to me that my ex employer wouldn't pay for it, it comes from some other source,
Guess what the “other source” is.

Fuggin excuses to not work as much as you need to, at least be honest about it. All these Covid shutdowns in filthy Democrat majority states are to get more and more people on the government tit. Makes me want to vomit.

Man up! Make it work so in the end you can be proud you didn’t need the government to help you survive!

This article is from many years before the manufactured Covid bullshit and only worse now.

“Able-bodied men and women are collecting from the government dole rather than going out and getting a job.”

Short timer

Short timer

I’d probably be concerned about doing the right thing but the reality is nobody but a few of us dinosaurs really care.
Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with proper parenting that instills work ethic, self sustenance and pride. That is where the rarity is coming from now. All part of the communist agenda.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Guess what the “other source” is.

Fuggin excuses to not work as much as you need to, at least be honest about it. All these Covid shutdowns in filthy Democrat majority states are to get more and more people on the government tit. Makes me want to vomit.

Man up! Make it work so in the end you can be proud you didn’t need the government to help you survive!

This article is from many years before the manufactured Covid bullshit and only worse now.

“Able-bodied men and women are collecting from the government dole rather than going out and getting a job.”
You must not have read the entire posts, I got another job in August and am working as many hours as I can and one day it will become full time when we get out of this Covid nightmare we are in. And I talked to the woman who worked in payroll at my old job and she talked to the owner of the company and there is no issue with me if I need to collect partial until I go full time, and her words were "you paid into it all these years you might as well take some if you need it" so there is no "other source" I WAS the source who paid into it working there 21.5 years. And also just so you know last week I got $0 because I worked more than I can in order to collect, the other week it was $29 so even if I was drawing from another source it isn't much, but it isn't so you can sleep well tonight knowing that I'm not a "freeloader" :rolleyes:

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I’m 47 and never once in my life have I collected unemployment, it’s just another handout from the government that’s abused by many, that hard working fiscally responsible Americans have to pay for.

Tell me, how did Americans survive before 1935?

The issue is people now a days spend spend and spend some more instead of saving for a “what if” until they can find a job because they know the government will be there for them. There’s major problems with this mentality that will be the downfall of this country.

Go stock shelves, dig a ditch, clean toilets if you got to so you can get through tough times.

I bet you’re relying on SS to be there for you too.
Let's see if you can still sing this tune when you are in your 60's or older like some of us here. Covid has changed many things and it isn't very easy to get a job when older now. There was a Youtube video saying there are now many Americans who may never re enter the workforce, but luckily I did.

And read posts #19 and #21 if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.