A question about cooking with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want to do some cooking, barbecueing with wood (not smoking) and was wondering how to go about it. It's just for me and the wife (boss), so I was thinking of using a small charcoal grill; do I use charcoal and then put some small wood splits on top, or just use the wood and let the flames die down and cook on it then? Do I use a small grill with a lid that I can close, or just an open fire? I have lots of wood that is split real little for chimineas that I know should be great for cooking on, such as Apple, Cherry, Hickory, etc. and started thinking that it would be cool to cook over it. I know that you guys sometimes talk about the certain woods being great for smoking; I'm sure that the above mentioned are good for cooking...any advice/help will be appreciated-thanks so much! :greenchainsaw:

sooo many diff ways--most guys use the chips of said woods,green,,or if dry,soak in water--and after the burners are warm--or the coals glowing--throw some on a tuned down fire--or in foil on the coals----put meat on grill--put on lid, and let cook. diff heat,diff applications--experiment---yummmmmmm

:agree2:
I thought you were going to be talking about cooking on the stove. I use the stove as a slow cooker. Really nice for smoked sausage with beans, corn, and taters. Start it in the morning and will be done when you get home.

Ray

There are so many different ways to use wood for fuel and/or smoke in cooking. A good article about making wood charcoal at home is by a guy named Naked Wiz, google him and see what he does. I have been thinking about making some wood charcoal sometime soon.

I found a deep charcoal grill at one of the stores and this works great for my wood fire BBQs. (The only thing I do.)

I lowered the rack all the way down, then can put in regular sized pieces of wood that I put in my woodstove if I wanted. But use smaller pieces as that is all that is needed.

You could always make a ring of rocks and place a grate over it like they do in campgrounds. Whatever works!

As to type of wood, ANYTHING will taste just great! I BBQ with all sorts of different wood and it all tastes good. Cedar, pine, apple, fir, oak, maple, you name it!

I bought the BBQ and stopped buying charcoal when I started heating with wood. I figured I had all that wood out back, so why buy charcoal?

BTW one of my favorites is "Fir". Then we can have "Fir Burgers"! :hmm3grin2orange:

For out side cooking we use a Brinkman smoker that is bacically a large tube with racks inside to hold the charcoal tray and an ash pan and a rack at the top for the cooking grill. It has a lid for smoking, with a temp guage.

I ran onto an implement disc the right size to fit inside and sit on the racks. The steel disk distributes the heat evenly under the grill.
I start out by setting the ash pan on the ground standing 3 splits on end inside the pan and close to each other. I start a fire in the center of them and set the smoker/cooker over it with the disc in place. Then add the cooking grill to the top. When it is hot enough I cant hold my hand over the grill comfortably it is hot enough for the meat to go on.

For more smoke flavor in the meat I will put the lid on a bit skewed. This traps more of the smoke and some of the heat in there. It also slows down the fire so the cook time stays about the same.

It makes for good eating.

I grill/cook over wood all the time. cooking over an open flame requires constant attention, which in my book, makes better food. I built my own grill out of an old 3-bay S.S. sink, and other junk I had lying around.

I like to get a good fire going, with small split pieces, to get a coal bank built-up. this is an hour or two before grilling.

Some of my favorites to smoke/grill/barbeque is; black cherry, black walnut, sasafras, apple, red maple, dogwood and white oak.

Here's a pic of mine, nothing fancy, I built it of 6 years ago, and use it at least 4 times a week. It's W.V friendly with a sissor jack on the non-wheeled side for leveling-up.

Once your cook with wood, you won't go back. I ain't bought charcoal in 15 yrs, and refuse to cook(ruin) anything with gas.

good topic fellas. I'd been wanting to start a thread on this but been busy.

Before I got into the whole wood burning business I used to buy the bags of wood charcoal from wally world or lowes. Let me tell you, the taste is awsome! so much better than regular charcoal or gas (even though I like to char-broil and seare my steaks with gas.. just gotta preheat the grill to 500 degrees or so).

Heres a Tip: When Im done choping a large quanity of wood for the woodstove, I always have left over wood chips layn where I chop. So I take them, fill up my old milk crates and set them right with the woodpile. then when It comes time to grill I have my free woodchips already to go. (take in mind, my grills not huge, so the woodchips work great for me)

Rain clears out, I think I'll do some ribs, since I'm off today.:givebeer: I'll take some pics, if I don't get drunk and forget.:cheers:

You haven't had steak until you've had it cooked over oak!

I just build a fire in the grill, using smaller pieces of oak. Once it's down to some nice coals, it's ready to cook. Nothing complicated. Enjoy! :cheers:

You haven't had steak until you've had it cooked over oak!

I just build a fire in the grill, using smaller pieces of oak. Once it's down to some nice coals, it's ready to cook. Nothing complicated. Enjoy! :cheers:

Hmmmmmm. i definitely try it. all this talk of smoking and grilling is making me hungry

Anybody try cooking with wood on a Weber grill? I would think that I'd have to take my normal 18 inch pieces, cut in half, then split fine, then it would be possible.

Wish I'd have seen this sooner!!! I just bought a bunch of charcoal on sale.... Oh well, it won't goto waste.

For out side cooking we use a Brinkman smoker that is bacically a large tube with racks inside to hold the charcoal tray and an ash pan and a rack at the top for the cooking grill. It has a lid for smoking, with a temp guage.

I ran onto an implement disc the right size to fit inside and sit on the racks. The steel disk distributes the heat evenly under the grill.
I start out by setting the ash pan on the ground standing 3 splits on end inside the pan and close to each other. I start a fire in the center of them and set the smoker/cooker over it with the disc in place. Then add the cooking grill to the top. When it is hot enough I cant hold my hand over the grill comfortably it is hot enough for the meat to go on.

For more smoke flavor in the meat I will put the lid on a bit skewed. This traps more of the smoke and some of the heat in there. It also slows down the fire so the cook time stays about the same.

It makes for good eating.

kswoodsman, how long do you let the splits burn before you put the smoker over the top? I have a Brinkman smoker that I've never really liked because it uses up too much charcoal but with wood it opens up a whole new possibility.

I like the idea of the metal disk to spread out the heat!! Trying to think what I may have laying around for iron that would work...

Anybody try cooking with wood on a Weber grill? I would think that I'd have to take my normal 18 inch pieces, cut in half, then split fine, then it would be possible.

Wish I'd have seen this sooner!!! I just bought a bunch of charcoal on sale.... Oh well, it won't goto waste.

cut up your firewood pieces with a circ saw--then split smaller with a small hatchet--WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

I have a propane grill, a wood smoker, and a fire ring. All make good food...but differently. To tell you the truth, i dont think you can beat a steak cooked Med-rare FAST over wood coals. When i do this, i just make a fire in the fire ring, get it going good to where i can add 2 full size splits and let it burn down. Put a camp grill grate over the coals and throw on the meat. You can judge how hot it is if you regularly cook over a gas grill with your hand. Normally its hotter than a gas grill can get. Couple minutes a side and you got a great piece of meat!

This portable firepit has been a hit with family and friends for years:

PortableFirepit.png

Most of the time, the lid and grill top are off and we'll spend the evening sitting around it on the patio. At a little over 3' in diameter, it also does a pretty good job cooking steaks and burgers over wood coals.

Last edited:
I have a propane grill, a wood smoker, and a fire ring. All make good food...but differently. To tell you the truth, i dont think you can beat a steak cooked Med-rare FAST over wood coals. When i do this, i just make a fire in the fire ring, get it going good to where i can add 2 full size splits and let it burn down. Put a camp grill grate over the coals and throw on the meat. You can judge how hot it is if you regularly cook over a gas grill with your hand. Normally its hotter than a gas grill can get. Couple minutes a side and you got a great piece of meat!

:agree2:

Only I do it on a Weber. Planning to build a grill one of these days, but the Weber works for now.

Simple is best

You have to make the true distinction between barbecue, which is a fire not directly under the meat and almost more of a hot smoke, vs. grilling, which is what most of you have written about. For grilling, hot and fast is what works best for me when it's beef. Chicken and pork need a refuge from the flames. In real barbecue, I think the flavor of a particular wood can really make more of a difference since it more like a smoke.

One time in the early 80's I was cowboying on a ranch in northeast California and invited a game warden over to thank him for teaching me some bird taxidermy. I was broke and waited till the last minute to get my act together as usual. I walked down to the spring and picked a bunch of watercress, boiled some potaoes, and grilled two ribeyes, (in my mind, why God made cattle), from a recently slaughtered calf and cooked them over a folded piece of hog wire over poplar stove wood. Potato salad with the watercress, the ribeyes and I'm guessing whatever beer was in the fridge... a meal for a king.

Wood is good.

Pete

Back