A question about cutting stumps.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut down a number of trees in a grassy area. Grass isn't THAT thick, it's thin enough so that the last heavy rain has splashed a lot of sand on the bark of th trees. The stumps are 16" or so tall, so they need to be whittled down as low to the ground as possible. I cut them that height for 2 reasons. 1) To stay away from the dirt on the lower part, and 2) there was anywhere from 12" to 24" of snow on the ground when I cut 'em down.

Anyway, I need to get them whittled down as low to the ground as possible now.

Too far from a water source to hose 'em off. What's everybody's suggestions to get the dirt off so I don't toast a bunch of chains? Nobody that I've checked (within 50 miles) rents stump grinders/chippers. White Oak, Red Oak, Black Gum and Sugar Maple are the species of trees. Stumps are anywhere from 16" dia to 38" dia. The trees were cut down in Dec./January. The tree services want $50 to $100 per stump. With the amount of stumps, that ain't going to happen.....

I've taken 2 pails of water to the woods to wash a stump off, anything that holds a bit of water will do...

SR

I grind stumps part time. If you got ten stumps you have to make ten cuts. You might have to sharpen it once but should get them done. Not sure what saw you got but the chain doesn't have to be in pristine condition to make a cut. Just cut em.

Yep. Those are not big stumps and one chain, if you keep out of the dirt, i.e., cut only abouve ground by a litte., will do several before needing sharpening. Use the shortest bar/chain you got to cut down the number of teeth you need to resharpen.

Harry K

I rented a stump grinder and got rid of 11 stumps n two days on my property. I had 2 redwood stumps that were over 5' across each. They took 10 hours straight by themselves. The remaining 9 were between 4' and 2' across. I did them the next day in 10 hours. I ran 20 gallons of gas through the grinder in 2 days. I couldn't wait to go back to work so I could relax.

If you just have a few to do, Dig around stump and cut off 3-4" below ground with a saw. Use old bar/chain and problem solved. Grind chain when done for next time.

A small pressure washer won't use that much water, if you've got one and a barrell. You've got a few ways to skin this cat.

Thanks guys. I think removing the bark will help a lot. All I could think of yesterday was a hammer and a chisel. the ax never crossed my mind. The stumps are too far from any electric to use an electric pressure washer, and I don't own a gas powered pressure washer, although getting water there wouldn't be a problem. The "number" of stumps is right around 100..... All I have is semi-chisel chain, my saw choice is Echo 340 w/14 or 16" bar (.375 narrow kerf), Dolmar 5100 w/20" bar or Dolmar 7900 w/24" bar or 32" bar. Both Dolmar's use .375 x .050, the 32" bar is skip tooth.

Grassy area is around 4 ponds, pond builder covered the roots with anywhere from 24" to 48" of dirt and packed it down. Lawn service doesn't care which way the clippings (and dirt) blow, some of the stumps have grass and dirt blasted into the bark.

That's a lot of stumps.

Another idea might be to run around the cut line with a weedwhacker first. Hit both the grass & ground, and the stump where you will be cutting - should strip a bit of the bad stuff off.

But that's a lot of stumps....

I cut down a number of trees in a grassy area. Grass isn't THAT thick, it's thin enough so that the last heavy rain has splashed a lot of sand on the bark of th trees. The stumps are 16" or so tall, so they need to be whittled down as low to the ground as possible. I cut them that height for 2 reasons. 1) To stay away from the dirt on the lower part, and 2) there was anywhere from 12" to 24" of snow on the ground when I cut 'em down.

Anyway, I need to get them whittled down as low to the ground as possible now.

Too far from a water source to hose 'em off. What's everybody's suggestions to get the dirt off so I don't toast a bunch of chains? Nobody that I've checked (within 50 miles) rents stump grinders/chippers. White Oak, Red Oak, Black Gum and Sugar Maple are the species of trees. Stumps are anywhere from 16" dia to 38" dia. The trees were cut down in Dec./January. The tree services want $50 to $100 per stump. With the amount of stumps, that ain't going to happen.....
Let me know where you are located, may be I am not to far to access your situation closer. My friend has a good size machine and does a lot of stump grinding. That many stumps, if its not to far for him to drive I believe it would be much cheaper. I also have an smaller machine with some limitations.
If I were you, I'd consider investing in a 20" bar and semi chisel skip chain for 7900 on this job. Not necessary but on stumps, you will save on chain and bar maintanence by not using to much bar. The bigger cc saw will hold up better to the long stressful cuts also. A 16" on the 5100 would probably serve well on the smaller 1's but again not neccessary. Going ground level and lower on 20" sand basted stumps I expect I 'd be sharpening begginning more then every other stump or I'd be toasting bars. I do try and keep a few old bars and chains for that occaison here and there, but 100 20 ish " stumps would sound a little much to cut below ground level. If you can stay up 3 to 4 " without much sand, its not that bad, but the lower you go the worse it gets. Smaller black gum you might try a little digging around the stumps, cut the primary roots on 1 side, and then pull them out on the other side with a 4 wd or a tractor, just don't flip the tractor if its a 2wd. I pulled many out jerking them with an old Dodge dually 1 1/2 ton, but it was a bit hard on it. 4 wd low range and take it easy. I have done oaks but would say forget doing them that way as the tap roots are a solid anchor. Gum on the other hand is shallow root systems that grow mostly horizontal and sprout new trees off those roots. Getting rid of them will help keep them from coming back.
I'd suggest start on and do what is easiest and you are equipped to do, then proceed into the more difficult part. As you get a feel for it you can decide if you need a stump grinder or ? By having the simpler task done and if access isn't very difficult, it may not be that bad to get an stump grinder to get the rest.

Thanks guys. I think removing the bark will help a lot. All I could think of yesterday was a hammer and a chisel. the ax never crossed my mind. The stumps are too far from any electric to use an electric pressure washer, and I don't own a gas powered pressure washer, although getting water there wouldn't be a problem. The "number" of stumps is right around 100..... All I have is semi-chisel chain, my saw choice is Echo 340 w/14 or 16" bar (.375 narrow kerf), Dolmar 5100 w/20" bar or Dolmar 7900 w/24" bar or 32" bar. Both Dolmar's use .375 x .050, the 32" bar is skip tooth.

Grassy area is around 4 ponds, pond builder covered the roots with anywhere from 24" to 48" of dirt and packed it down. Lawn service doesn't care which way the clippings (and dirt) blow, some of the stumps have grass and dirt blasted into the bark.

Any bar much over the diameter of the stump will only increase the number of teeth you will be sharpening. This is a place a big saw/bar will not be a help as long as a smaller one will not bog down.

Harry K

Back